General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Powerline Pass Trail Run 2006

Started by Dot · · Last activity · 11 posts · 355 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 June 2006
Last activity
8 June 2006
Original author
Dot
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
355
Views / 30 days
8

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Event: Powerline Pass Trail Run
    Location: Near Indian, AK, between Anchorage and Girdwood
    When: June 4, 2006 10am
    Supports: U. of Alaska Anchorage Ski Team

    Weather: About 50F at lower elevations, cooler and windy above treeline
    (hands got numb while taking pictures)

    Objectives: explore new trails, scope the trail for running the race in
    the future, see how wet feet survive for a few hours.

    Summary: What a beautiful day for a hike. 🙂 🙂 I did actually run
    across the finish line as well as quite a bit near the start, and the
    downhills on the “up”.😉 A+ weather and gorgeous scenery. 1:41:55 for
    4mi, 3000ft. http://home.att.net/~akrunning/Powerline2006/index.html
    (Topo and elevation profile are at the end. I only linked the last 3
    images to full images since they might need to be enlarged to see detail.)

    The summary and pictures really say it all, but I've included some of my
    usual discussion anyway.

    Course layout: This was originally a point-to-point race with about 3500
    ft “up” in the first 5 miles, then continuing about 8 miles above
    treeline and dropping about 2000 ft. However, late-lying snow in the
    pass had them change it to an uphill only race. Finish was at the false
    summit, not the true summit, so it was only 3000 ft up in about 4 miles.
    While that averages to about 14%, realities were closer to 8% for the
    first 2 miles (to stream crossing on map) and 27% for mile 4, which also
    had a lot of soft snow fields, although there were some well trodden
    footsteps to follow. They may consider changing this back to the full
    traverse and have it later in the summer or keeping it early and just an
    uphill run.

    My usual blathering:
    Race started pretty much right at 10am. I was planning (hoping) to run
    some of the beginning, but fully expected to be hiking a lot of the
    trail, esp. at upper end. I think I probably ran less than I intended,
    but everyone within eye sight in front of me and behind me was hiking
    most of the time. I also knew from various things I’d tried in training,
    that I could probably hike those slopes as fast as running, and it made
    more sense energy wise to hike. I was immediately behind a few people at
    the start, and I hesitated to pass, but it didn’t seem like they were
    faster than me but holding back at start. I didn’t want a repeat of my
    last race, so passed as soon as it seemed like they might be slower than
    me.😉 (Good decision - they came in 20-30 min after me.) One wasn’t too
    far behind for awhile, but once I hit the downhill leading to the stream
    crossing, which I ran, I never heard anyone behind me. I was being
    cautious, since my usual mtn starts steep, wipes you out by half way,
    and continues on. This started gentle, then had the steep stuff at the
    top so I was being very respectful.

    When we were below treeline, the wide open trail was basking in the sun,
    almost making me regret wearing long pants. About the time I hit tree
    line, the snow and wind, I was very happy to have long pants on. This
    also confirmed my original plans for what to take on the longer run
    (which would probably have 3+ hr above treeline) - including hat,
    mittens, and kitchen sink.

    I knew there was at least one downhill section on the up, but was
    surprised at its length. Just before the descent, you could see the
    “runners” headed straight up the other side (see photos and topo; the
    uphill is the straight part after the switchbacks). Gulp. As I started
    the descent, I could hear the roar of the creek, which I was pretty sure
    did not have a bridge. However, when I got there, the trail crossed in a
    relatively flat part (lower gradient) and had a good rock bed for
    crossing - the sound was much worse than the actual crossing, which was
    minor. (Picture was supposed to contrast the crossing and the upstream
    gradient and big rocks, but didn't really capture either very well.)
    Since this was only 36 min into race, and I had close to 3 hr after that
    by the time I got down, it was a good test of the Ultimax liners under
    Smartwools for not getting sore feet when wet, which has been a problem
    in the past (and may still need further modifications). However, the
    taping I use on ankles loosened, but still worked ok. (need to fix this
    in the future)

    The snowpatches in the last mile were an energy sucker since they were
    fairly soft except on well trodden foot steps. Misstep and you slid or
    fell into someone’s post hole. However, as I hit them, after 1 hr into
    the race, a bunch of the faster runners were coming back down - running,
    glissading, butt sliding, and sometimes from 2 directions (some on trail
    and some cutting a switchback). Trying to find my best route and avoid
    downhillers (most gave me right of way) and not twist something in the
    post holes resulted in fairly slow progress. One of the photos gives you
    an idea of the longest snowfield and it's steepness that we had to get
    up. (and in my case, while bunches of others were coming down) Those are
    the only stretches where I had any let up in relentless forward motion,
    and even then it was those quickie 5 sec breaks just to get oriented,
    and only a couple times - much better than my one hike up our local mtn
    this spring. The last mile looks like it took me about 40-45 min, about
    the same as one of my local hills. But I ran across the finish line.
    (See picture of finish line to appreciate that statement.) The finish
    line workers would use the shelter of the big rock to get out of the
    wind. When the next runners came into sight, they'd get to their posts
    again.

    Something I should have clarified, if it wasn’t obvious, in my statement
    to Doug the other day when he asked about running some of these mtns,
    and I said the better runners can actually run these. The implied rest
    of the story is that back of packers do hike them.😉

    I hung around and took pictures on top until my hands were numb in about
    5-10 min, then took a lot of the downhill. The camera didn’t do justice
    to some of the views. The downhill wasn’t part of the race, although
    most people ran most of it - including lots of glissading, butt sliding,
    etc coming down the snowfields.

    On the way down, I caught up with a guy whose legs were cramping and we
    leapfrogged a little as he massaged then took off again, then when we
    hit some of the gentler areas were able to talk and run. I ran some of
    the steeper downhills somewhat hard, just so I could get some strength
    training as well as fast leg turnover work. I was able to run the “ups”
    on the way down, which was a good sign. We took a scenic detour, and
    added about 1 mi to the return trip. That worked out well though. On my
    training on local mtn that’s about 3000 ft in 2.2 mi, I usually almost
    collapse in a heap at the bottom, and legs just don’t want to run flat.
    I was pleasantly surprised to find I could still run at the bottom of
    this mountain, which was about the same amount of descent as my local
    mountain, but not as steep overall. A good sign.

    When we got back, a few people were spread out on the grass eating
    lunch, and I joined them. Turned out they were waiting for their slower
    friends, the ladies I had passed near the start. They had gone over to
    the real summit while they were on top and just took their time coming
    down. As it turned out, the four ladies (including me) sitting there
    were the last of the 50-59 and the one 60 yr old - plus a couple guys
    (husband and son?). So was an interesting group to chat with. ‘Twas
    pleasant sitting there in the warm sun and capping an A+ day.

    What was right: Most things went about like I anticipated in a general
    sense, based on where I felt I was trainingwise (which wasn’t that
    great, but it is what it is). Gear and time estimates seem reasonable
    (certainly not too conservative) for the full traverse, if they have it
    again. What was surprising was that I could run across the finish line
    (coming off a 27% slope, although it flattened for a few steps there), I
    could run ups on the way down and flats at the bottom (usually my legs
    are trashed on my own mtn), I’m not as sore Monday as I expected (can
    walk up and down stairs), considering how hard I hit a couple of the
    downhills (deliberately, for training effect).

    What do I need to fix: Need to do something about Coach athletic tape
    coming loose in water. Need more training, but I knew that. Left to my
    own devices without ice and trail closures, I feel I’m on the right
    track or have a good idea of modifications to make.

    Numbers trivia:
    I was 4th in age group (out of 6; first in ag was 1:09:20), and I think
    4 people finished after me, and one person turned around before reaching
    the top.

    Approximate splits and slopes:
    2 mi 818 ft 8% 36 min (stream crossing 1)
    3 mi 723 ft 14% 24 min (crossing 2, which was dry)
    4 mi 1426ft 27% 45 min (finish)
    These were estimated by matching landmark “laps” on my hrm with topo
    map. What I used for mile 3 was the 2nd crossing since I could find it
    on map and it looked about 3 mi from start. 5 min later there was a sign
    “1 mi to go”, but not sure of its accuracy. IOW, mile 3 might be a
    little longer and mile 4 a little shorter, but that’s not consistent
    with my normal times.

    The two winners had raced the state road 5k championship the previous
    day. She won female state champ, and he was 4th male. An interesting
    comparison of times:

    4mi hill 5k ratio
    Male: 43:20 15:40 2.77
    Female: 50:13 17:52 2.81

    To do it or not to do it:
    If you remember, even though I’d been training for this and looking
    forward to the challenge of the 13 mi traverse, I was a little hesitant
    about doing the thing when it was a full traverse considering all the
    snow this year and my not achieving my training goals because of ice and
    trail closures. But I agreed with Anders, I was never going to know
    until I tried. And who knows what will happen to these relatively new
    races. When they switched it to an uphill only, it became a no-brainer.
    I can do that, no problem, and it will give me a chance to at least see
    the first portion. Who knows what will happen next summer. And there's
    no races of interest to me until late July and late August.

    Thanks for reading.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people"
    -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  2. "Dot" <dot.h@#duh?att.net> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Event: Powerline Pass Trail Run
    Location: Near Indian, AK, between Anchorage and Girdwood
    When: June 4, 2006 10am
    Supports: U. of Alaska Anchorage Ski Team

    Weather: About 50F at lower elevations, cooler and windy above treeline
    (hands got numb while taking pictures)

    Objectives: explore new trails, scope the trail for running the race in
    the future, see how wet feet survive for a few hours.

    Summary: What a beautiful day for a hike. 🙂 🙂 I did actually run
    across the finish line as well as quite a bit near the start, and the
    downhills on the “up”.😉 A+ weather and gorgeous scenery. 1:41:55 for
    4mi, 3000ft. http://home.att.net/~akrunning/Powerline2006/index.html
    (Topo and elevation profile are at the end. I only linked the last 3
    images to full images since they might need to be enlarged to see detail.)

    The summary and pictures really say it all, but I've included some of my
    usual discussion anyway.

    Quite beautiful pictures, thanks Dot.

    Quoted message said:

    Course layout: This was originally a point-to-point race with about 3500
    ft “up” in the first 5 miles, then continuing about 8 miles above
    treeline and dropping about 2000 ft. However, late-lying snow in the
    pass had them change it to an uphill only race. Finish was at the false
    summit, not the true summit, so it was only 3000 ft up in about 4 miles.
    While that averages to about 14%, realities were closer to 8% for the
    first 2 miles (to stream crossing on map) and 27% for mile 4, which also
    had a lot of soft snow fields, although there were some well trodden
    footsteps to follow. They may consider changing this back to the full
    traverse and have it later in the summer or keeping it early and just an
    uphill run.

    I'd like to see what the snow conditions further on in the original course
    looked like that they would cancel that part. Too dangerous I guess. Deep
    postholes that could injure the runners and icy slope conditions probably?

    Quoted message said:

    My usual blathering:
    Race started pretty much right at 10am. I was planning (hoping) to run
    some of the beginning, but fully expected to be hiking a lot of the
    trail, esp. at upper end. I think I probably ran less than I intended,
    but everyone within eye sight in front of me and behind me was hiking
    most of the time. I also knew from various things I’d tried in training,
    that I could probably hike those slopes as fast as running, and it made
    more sense energy wise to hike. I was immediately behind a few people at
    the start, and I hesitated to pass, but it didn’t seem like they were
    faster than me but holding back at start. I didn’t want a repeat of my
    last race, so passed as soon as it seemed like they might be slower than
    me.😉 (Good decision - they came in 20-30 min after me.) One wasn’t too
    far behind for awhile, but once I hit the downhill leading to the stream
    crossing, which I ran, I never heard anyone behind me. I was being
    cautious, since my usual mtn starts steep, wipes you out by half way,
    and continues on. This started gentle, then had the steep stuff at the
    top so I was being very respectful.

    When we were below treeline, the wide open trail was basking in the sun,
    almost making me regret wearing long pants. About the time I hit tree
    line, the snow and wind, I was very happy to have long pants on. This
    also confirmed my original plans for what to take on the longer run
    (which would probably have 3+ hr above treeline) - including hat,
    mittens, and kitchen sink.

    Smart move, and I lesson (I hope) I learned last year at the Vermont 50.
    Chilly days with exposed areas and you need a bit of extra gear!

    Quoted message said:

    I knew there was at least one downhill section on the up, but was
    surprised at its length. Just before the descent, you could see the
    “runners” headed straight up the other side (see photos and topo; the
    uphill is the straight part after the switchbacks). Gulp. As I started
    the descent, I could hear the roar of the creek, which I was pretty sure
    did not have a bridge. However, when I got there, the trail crossed in a
    relatively flat part (lower gradient) and had a good rock bed for
    crossing - the sound was much worse than the actual crossing, which was
    minor. (Picture was supposed to contrast the crossing and the upstream
    gradient and big rocks, but didn't really capture either very well.)
    Since this was only 36 min into race, and I had close to 3 hr after that
    by the time I got down, it was a good test of the Ultimax liners under
    Smartwools for not getting sore feet when wet, which has been a problem
    in the past (and may still need further modifications). However, the
    taping I use on ankles loosened, but still worked ok. (need to fix this
    in the future)

    Wet feet have always been a problem for me also. A coating of vaseline *and*
    toe socks seemed to help, but as yet I haven't tested it on a wet day during
    an ultra-length run.

    Quoted message said:

    The snowpatches in the last mile were an energy sucker since they were
    fairly soft except on well trodden foot steps. Misstep and you slid or
    fell into someone’s post hole. However, as I hit them, after 1 hr into
    the race, a bunch of the faster runners were coming back down - running,
    glissading, butt sliding, and sometimes from 2 directions (some on trail
    and some cutting a switchback). Trying to find my best route and avoid

    Cutting switchbacks is considered ok?

    Quoted message said:

    downhillers (most gave me right of way) and not twist something in the
    post holes resulted in fairly slow progress. One of the photos gives you
    an idea of the longest snowfield and it's steepness that we had to get
    up. (and in my case, while bunches of others were coming down) Those are
    the only stretches where I had any let up in relentless forward motion,
    and even then it was those quickie 5 sec breaks just to get oriented,
    and only a couple times - much better than my one hike up our local mtn
    this spring. The last mile looks like it took me about 40-45 min, about
    the same as one of my local hills. But I ran across the finish line.
    (See picture of finish line to appreciate that statement.) The finish
    line workers would use the shelter of the big rock to get out of the
    wind. When the next runners came into sight, they'd get to their posts
    again.

    I wonder why they didn't make the race an out and back, with a radio
    checkpoint at the top/turnaround, instead of a test of who was fittest
    uphill only. I personally really love the downhills; and though you had to
    go down anyway, making it part of the race would have been good IMO.

    Quoted message said:

    Something I should have clarified, if it wasn’t obvious, in my statement
    to Doug the other day when he asked about running some of these mtns,
    and I said the better runners can actually run these. The implied rest
    of the story is that back of packers do hike them.😉

    I hung around and took pictures on top until my hands were numb in about
    5-10 min, then took a lot of the downhill. The camera didn’t do justice
    to some of the views. The downhill wasn’t part of the race, although
    most people ran most of it - including lots of glissading, butt sliding,
    etc coming down the snowfields.

    On the way down, I caught up with a guy whose legs were cramping and we
    leapfrogged a little as he massaged then took off again, then when we
    hit some of the gentler areas were able to talk and run. I ran some of
    the steeper downhills somewhat hard, just so I could get some strength
    training as well as fast leg turnover work. I was able to run the “ups”
    on the way down, which was a good sign. We took a scenic detour, and
    added about 1 mi to the return trip. That worked out well though. On my
    training on local mtn that’s about 3000 ft in 2.2 mi, I usually almost
    collapse in a heap at the bottom, and legs just don’t want to run flat.
    I was pleasantly surprised to find I could still run at the bottom of
    this mountain, which was about the same amount of descent as my local
    mountain, but not as steep overall. A good sign.

    Your local mtn has a nice gain and a pretty tough gradiant. I wouldn't be
    able to run much of that. I trained on one about 2 hours away that's 2300'
    in the first 2.3 miles, and I'd say about I can run about 2/3-3/4 of that
    one.

    Quoted message said:

    When we got back, a few people were spread out on the grass eating
    lunch, and I joined them. Turned out they were waiting for their slower
    friends, the ladies I had passed near the start. They had gone over to
    the real summit while they were on top and just took their time coming
    down. As it turned out, the four ladies (including me) sitting there
    were the last of the 50-59 and the one 60 yr old - plus a couple guys
    (husband and son?). So was an interesting group to chat with. ‘Twas
    pleasant sitting there in the warm sun and capping an A+ day.

    What was right: Most things went about like I anticipated in a general
    sense, based on where I felt I was trainingwise (which wasn’t that
    great, but it is what it is). Gear and time estimates seem reasonable
    (certainly not too conservative) for the full traverse, if they have it
    again. What was surprising was that I could run across the finish line
    (coming off a 27% slope, although it flattened for a few steps there), I
    could run ups on the way down and flats at the bottom (usually my legs
    are trashed on my own mtn), I’m not as sore Monday as I expected (can
    walk up and down stairs), considering how hard I hit a couple of the
    downhills (deliberately, for training effect).

    What do I need to fix: Need to do something about Coach athletic tape
    coming loose in water. Need more training, but I knew that. Left to my
    own devices without ice and trail closures, I feel I’m on the right
    track or have a good idea of modifications to make.

    Tape has never worked for me for long. Once the feet get soggy, it comes
    loose, and then it's impossible to tape already wet feet. The toe socks
    help, but I woudn't know what to do about taping ankles in wet condtions.

    Quoted message said:

    Numbers trivia:
    I was 4th in age group (out of 6; first in ag was 1:09:20), and I think
    4 people finished after me, and one person turned around before reaching
    the top.

    Approximate splits and slopes:
    2 mi 818 ft 8% 36 min (stream crossing 1)
    3 mi 723 ft 14% 24 min (crossing 2, which was dry)
    4 mi 1426ft 27% 45 min (finish)
    These were estimated by matching landmark “laps” on my hrm with topo
    map. What I used for mile 3 was the 2nd crossing since I could find it
    on map and it looked about 3 mi from start. 5 min later there was a sign
    “1 mi to go”, but not sure of its accuracy. IOW, mile 3 might be a
    little longer and mile 4 a little shorter, but that’s not consistent
    with my normal times.

    The two winners had raced the state road 5k championship the previous
    day. She won female state champ, and he was 4th male. An interesting
    comparison of times:

    4mi hill 5k ratio
    Male: 43:20 15:40 2.77
    Female: 50:13 17:52 2.81

    Interesting stat. Nice report thanks.

    -Tony

    Quoted message said:

    To do it or not to do it:
    If you remember, even though I’d been training for this and looking
    forward to the challenge of the 13 mi traverse, I was a little hesitant
    about doing the thing when it was a full traverse considering all the
    snow this year and my not achieving my training goals because of ice and
    trail closures. But I agreed with Anders, I was never going to know
    until I tried. And who knows what will happen to these relatively new
    races. When they switched it to an uphill only, it became a no-brainer.
    I can do that, no problem, and it will give me a chance to at least see
    the first portion. Who knows what will happen next summer. And there's
    no races of interest to me until late July and late August.

    Thanks for reading.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people"
    -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  3. Tony S. said:

    "Dot" <dot.h@#duh?att.net> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Event: Powerline Pass Trail Run
    Location: Near Indian, AK, between Anchorage and Girdwood
    When: June 4, 2006 10am
    Supports: U. of Alaska Anchorage Ski Team

    Weather: About 50F at lower elevations, cooler and windy above treeline
    (hands got numb while taking pictures)

    Objectives: explore new trails, scope the trail for running the race in
    the future, see how wet feet survive for a few hours.

    Summary: What a beautiful day for a hike. 🙂 🙂 I did actually run
    across the finish line as well as quite a bit near the start, and the
    downhills on the “up”.😉 A+ weather and gorgeous scenery. 1:41:55 for
    4mi, 3000ft. http://home.att.net/~akrunning/Powerline2006/index.html
    (Topo and elevation profile are at the end. I only linked the last 3
    images to full images since they might need to be enlarged to see detail.)

    The summary and pictures really say it all, but I've included some of my
    usual discussion anyway.

    Quite beautiful pictures, thanks Dot.

    Thanks, Tony.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Course layout: This was originally a point-to-point race with about 3500
    ft “up” in the first 5 miles, then continuing about 8 miles above
    treeline and dropping about 2000 ft. However, late-lying snow in the
    pass had them change it to an uphill only race. Finish was at the false
    summit, not the true summit, so it was only 3000 ft up in about 4 miles.
    While that averages to about 14%, realities were closer to 8% for the
    first 2 miles (to stream crossing on map) and 27% for mile 4, which also
    had a lot of soft snow fields, although there were some well trodden
    footsteps to follow. They may consider changing this back to the full
    traverse and have it later in the summer or keeping it early and just an
    uphill run.

    I'd like to see what the snow conditions further on in the original course
    looked like that they would cancel that part. Too dangerous I guess. Deep
    postholes that could injure the runners and icy slope conditions probably?

    I looked into the bowl area between the false and true summits, and
    there was more snow, although not sure how much on the trail itself.
    However, those other ladies that went to the true summit and looked
    down, said it was really scary. Last year, that's where they used the
    fixed rope on what I read was a 40 deg slope. Some experienced runners
    that ski did "ski" that slope, but the less confident are happy for the
    rope, from what I've heard. I think without snow, it's a steep rocky
    pitch, that mtn bikers from the other side have to carry their bikes up.
    Beyond that, there's another 6 miles, I think, of trail in, what I think
    is, a shady valley. I know people were still skiing it only a few weeks
    ago. And a downhill area to the east (couple valleys over) was still
    operating on Sunday, although it was their last day of skiing. I don't
    think ice would be an issue that time of day, although some shoes may
    not get good traction on this type snow. I know my treads clog.

    FWIW, I had considered taking my snowshoes or rock skis and hiking or
    skiing some of the other end, but didn't. They had some pictures from
    near that trailhead on the news about a week or so ago - person was
    hiking on dirt in part of it and snow on the other.

    I obviously run a lot on snow, but normally, I would either avoid
    conditions like this or use my stabilicers or yaktrax (soft enough that
    they would work). It's not worth the risks on training runs, at least
    for me, where I don't normally have races under those conditions.
    Busting through the surface and feet going down 1-2 ft post hole style
    is a good way to do some serious damage. In the one picture, I tried to
    capture the brokenness of the surface by the time 100+ runners have been
    over it twice.

    I think a lot depends on the intended nature of a race. At least
    initially (this was year 4), this was just a trail race, a traverse, and
    held in late July. The first year was hot and dry. No water crossings,
    no snow. Piece of cake from what one of our local runners told me. I
    think it was 2 yr ago when it was made part of the Mountain Running
    Grand Prix and moved early in the season so there were always 2 wks
    between grand prix races, which used to start in mid-June on a sunny
    hill, easy to do early in the year. So last year was the first they
    needed the fixed rope. Given the nature of the route and probably the
    risks the organizers were willing to assume, they opted for the
    shortened race. There's many other "tough" races. But I'm not speaking
    for the organizers. They had their reasons, one of which was safety.

    In the grand prix, I think there's one other traverse - the infamous
    Crow Pass Crossing. Among the other races, two are up/down (although Mt.
    Marathon may have slightly different routes up/down; Matanuska peak
    where the runners are probably spread by the time the fast pass the
    slow), and one that has both an up (gondola ride down) and an up/down.
    The original traverse filled a nice niche, IMHO. While in the Anchorage
    area, we have a lot of mtn races and the fall xc series, there aren't
    many medium length races (say 1.5-5 hr slow runners; 6-16 mi) on
    non-urban trails - and that's the niche a lot of the newer races are
    filling. Many (3/4 or more?) of the races I've done have generally been
    less than 5 yr old at the time I did them.

    I couldn't help but think of races like Western States where they may
    have 20 mi of snow in "snow" years and aren't allowed to use crampons. I
    think Hardrock has a fair amount of snow also. But they are what they
    are. This one, I think, is more to encourage people to get out running.

    Quoted message said:

    Wet feet have always been a problem for me also. A coating of vaseline *and*
    toe socks seemed to help, but as yet I haven't tested it on a wet day during
    an ultra-length run.

    I tried some things in the winter (like sealskinz and the liners), but
    then re-checked when the weather got warmer. The sealskinz were too hot
    even on a short run. Of the 3 liners I tried, the Ultimax worked best
    since it's a shiny surface and outer socks slid over it more easily. I
    also tried the Injinji toe socks and they hurt my feet (cut into
    "webbing" between toes). Smartwool liners feel just a little warmer than
    ultimax for winter use, but they don't slide as easily for putting outer
    socks on. Capilene liners were definitely rougher.

    One thing about this day, although feet were submerged in the stream,
    then on wet snowfields, it was warm and dry enough that my feet were
    almost dry by the time I hit the stream the second time. So this was a
    good starting test. Not sure how it would do in an all day rain. My
    Trespasses do drain reasonably well.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The snowpatches in the last mile were an energy sucker since they were
    fairly soft except on well trodden foot steps. Misstep and you slid or
    fell into someone’s post hole. However, as I hit them, after 1 hr into
    the race, a bunch of the faster runners were coming back down - running,
    glissading, butt sliding, and sometimes from 2 directions (some on trail
    and some cutting a switchback). Trying to find my best route and avoid

    Cutting switchbacks is considered ok?

    No. But since the shortcut was completely on snow, there's no obvious
    trail damage associated with it. It was only downhillers who had
    finished the race who were using it, but it looked like about half
    stayed on the trail and half cut the switchback. I did see one person
    heading up it, but whether they were going back for 2nds on the glissade
    or still doing the race (and hence cutting the course), I'm not sure. If
    they were cutting the course (intentionally or accidentally), I'm not
    sure they gained anything because the snow was so much slower.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    downhillers (most gave me right of way) and not twist something in the
    post holes resulted in fairly slow progress. One of the photos gives you
    an idea of the longest snowfield and it's steepness that we had to get
    up. (and in my case, while bunches of others were coming down) Those are
    the only stretches where I had any let up in relentless forward motion,
    and even then it was those quickie 5 sec breaks just to get oriented,
    and only a couple times - much better than my one hike up our local mtn
    this spring. The last mile looks like it took me about 40-45 min, about
    the same as one of my local hills. But I ran across the finish line.
    (See picture of finish line to appreciate that statement.) The finish
    line workers would use the shelter of the big rock to get out of the
    wind. When the next runners came into sight, they'd get to their posts
    again.

    I wonder why they didn't make the race an out and back, with a radio
    checkpoint at the top/turnaround, instead of a test of who was fittest
    uphill only. I personally really love the downhills; and though you had to
    go down anyway, making it part of the race would have been good IMO.

    See my earlier comments regarding race history. The finish line did
    radio in results. For the slow runners, it made it a little easier/safer
    being only uphill. If those downhillers had still been racing, I would
    have had to yield to them, and some were barelling down even with it not
    being part of race.

    One thing nice about it being uphill only - for me since I had never
    been on the trail before - is that I just tucked my camera, et al. away
    and didn't think about pictures during the race. On top, I took out the
    camera and carried it in pants pocket the rest of the way. Scenery is
    easier to see on the downhill anyway. But that was an artifact of the
    way I like to do new trails and the awesome weather and scenery.

    Quoted message said:

    Your local mtn has a nice gain and a pretty tough gradiant. I wouldn't be
    able to run much of that. I trained on one about 2 hours away that's 2300'
    in the first 2.3 miles, and I'd say about I can run about 2/3-3/4 of that
    one.

    Yea, it's a workout. The problem I've had in the past is that the thing
    is so darned steep, even hiking downhill is hard on knees, and there's
    some places where it's just easier to run, even for hikers. That's why
    I've tended to use some of the other hills for more repetitive work. The
    one time I've been on it this spring, I made it down with no sore knees.
    Tired quads, but recovered in a couple days, rather than the 2-3 wks I
    used to plan on. That's what was nice about this race course, it had a
    mix of slopes - and why I took advantage of the training opportunity.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What do I need to fix: Need to do something about Coach athletic tape
    coming loose in water. Need more training, but I knew that. Left to my
    own devices without ice and trail closures, I feel I’m on the right
    track or have a good idea of modifications to make.

    Tape has never worked for me for long. Once the feet get soggy, it comes
    loose, and then it's impossible to tape already wet feet. The toe socks
    help, but I woudn't know what to do about taping ankles in wet condtions.

    Somewhere on ultra list and Jon Vonhof's book, I think, they've
    discussed taping techniques, and refer to tincture of benzoin or other
    tape adherents (not sure what they are) for keeping tape attached, but
    not sure if that includes wet all day conditions. Doug might comment if
    he isn't too bored reading since I know he tapes and also has stream
    crossings.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people"
    -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  4. Dot said:

    Event: Powerline Pass Trail Run
    Location: Near Indian, AK, between Anchorage and Girdwood
    When: June 4, 2006 10am
    Supports: U. of Alaska Anchorage Ski Team

    Quoted message said:

    Summary: What a beautiful day for a hike. 🙂 🙂 I did actually run
    across the finish line as well as quite a bit near the start, and the
    downhills on the “up”.😉 A+ weather and gorgeous scenery. 1:41:55 for
    4mi, 3000ft. http://home.att.net/~akrunning/Powerline2006/index.html

    Quoted message said:

    I was 4th in age group (out of 6; first in ag was 1:09:20), and I think
    4 people finished after me, and one person turned around before reaching
    the top.

    Approximate splits and slopes:
    2 mi 818 ft 8% 36 min (stream crossing 1)
    3 mi 723 ft 14% 24 min (crossing 2, which was dry)
    4 mi 1426ft 27% 45 min (finish)
    Thanks for reading.

    Dot

    Great job Dot!

    Wow, another totally gorgeous trail run! But tough. It's hard for me to
    fathom such coldness when it's over 100F here now. Congrats on your ag
    4th, and running the finish after all the hills. And for sending another
    great report with pictures, thanks!!

    Teresa in AZ (where it won't be cooling down for another 4 months...)

  5. Teresa Bippert-Plymate said:

    Great job Dot!

    Thanks, Teresa.

    Quoted message said:


    Wow, another totally gorgeous trail run! But tough. It's hard for me to
    fathom such coldness when it's over 100F here now.

    It was actually pretty pleasant temperatures.😉 Not heat adapted yet.
    Fairbanks, about 300 mi to north, had snow flurries on Sunday. We've
    been in high 30s during the "night".

    And for sending another

    Quoted message said:

    great report with pictures, thanks!!

    It's an excuse to take a camera with me. Glad you enjoyed them.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people"
    -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  6. Something I should have added about the uphill only decision. Both the
    RD (xc ski coach at UAA) and co-RD (assistant coach) are experienced,
    competitive mountain runners (as in near top finishers on the tough
    runs). The pair also RD's at least one other trail race that I've done
    (Turnagain). RD is also responsible for orienteering meet, and runs many
    of them himself. I trust their decision regarding safety and intended
    clientele for this race. IOW, it wasn't some wusses making the decision.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people"
    -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  7. Sounds like a terrific time on an unfamiliar planet, Dot! I have no
    good reference points to extrapolate what it's like to run/hike this
    terrain in these conditions, but from the pix it was plainly beautiful
    and the weather was about perfect.

    Glad to hear you not only thoroughly enjoyed it, but in fact surprised
    yourself a little with your performance and how much you were able to
    run on this course. It's always a great feeling when you can exceed
    your expectations in a race setting! Congrats.

    Quoted message said:

    there's no races of interest to me until late July and late August.

    What's in late July and August? What are the uninteresting race until
    then?

  8. "Dot" <dot.h@#duh?att.net> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Something I should have added about the uphill only decision. Both the
    RD (xc ski coach at UAA) and co-RD (assistant coach) are experienced,
    competitive mountain runners (as in near top finishers on the tough
    runs). The pair also RD's at least one other trail race that I've done
    (Turnagain). RD is also responsible for orienteering meet, and runs many
    of them himself. I trust their decision regarding safety and intended
    clientele for this race. IOW, it wasn't some wusses making the decision.

    I think what you said about the downhillers in the lead hogging the trail
    and making it unsafe is a good enough reason that I didn't think of before.
    Such an up-and-down type of race would be best on a wider dirt road or jeep
    trail at the very least.

    -Tony

    Quoted message said:

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people"
    -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  9. Quoted message said:

    Sounds like a terrific time on an unfamiliar planet, Dot! I have no
    good reference points to extrapolate what it's like to run/hike this
    terrain in these conditions, but from the pix it was plainly beautiful
    and the weather was about perfect.

    Thanks, Charlie.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    there's no races of interest to me until late July and late August.

    What's in late July and August? What are the uninteresting race until
    then?

    July 23 Arctic Valley Trail Run, 6km loop with 1500ft up (mostly above
    treeline, I think)
    Aug 26 Lost Lake Breath of Life Run, 16 mi point-to-point with 2000 ft
    up (these folks actually provide a bus to get you to start; a lengthy
    section above treeline)
    (Aug 4-6 volunteer at RP50/100, like I did last year)

    Most of the non-road races between now and then are the mountain runs -
    either longer duration than I'd be ready for or more macho than I care
    for or lottery entry or 2 of these three. Fairbanks has some that I
    seriously considered, including the one I did last year that I really
    enjoyed, but logistically and timewise, I just decided not to.

    I'd rather have a large block of race-free time when I can do some
    consistent snow-free training and make up for this spring's screwy stuff
    with ice and trail closures and see if I can't get back on track. In my
    trying an assortment of races and trails over the past couple years,
    I've got a reasonable handle on what some of the courses are like and
    where the best trails are locally for me to get that training.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people"
    -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

  10. dot.h@#duh?att.net said:

    Summary: What a beautiful day for a hike. 🙂 🙂 I did actually run
    across the finish line as well as quite a bit near the start, and the
    downhills on the “up”.😉 A+ weather and gorgeous scenery. 1:41:55 for
    4mi, 3000ft. http://home.att.net/~akrunning/Powerline2006/index.html

    Wow, Dot! Breathtaking pictures.

    Quoted message said:

    false summit, not the true summit, so it was only 3000 ft up in about
    4 miles.

    Is that all? Are we preparing for Barkley? ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    My usual blathering:

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    I didn’t want a repeat of my last race, so passed as soon as it seemed
    like they might be slower than me.😉 (Good decision - they came in
    20-30 min after me.) One wasn’t too far behind for awhile, but once I
    hit the downhill leading to the stream crossing, which I ran, I never
    heard anyone behind me.

    So there are some that hike the entire distance?

    Quoted message said:

    I was very happy to have long pants on. This also confirmed my
    original plans for what to take on the longer run (which would
    probably have 3+ hr above treeline) - including hat, mittens, and
    kitchen sink.

    Those sinks are heavy, especially the stainless steel type.

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for reading.

    Great race and very good result. I'm envious of your terrain. Although, I'd
    probably like less elevation once in a while. I guess you'd need a
    treadmill for that. As always, thanks for the report.

    --
    Phil M.

  11. Phil M. said:
    dot.h@#duh?att.net said:

    Summary: What a beautiful day for a hike. 🙂 🙂 I did actually run
    across the finish line as well as quite a bit near the start, and the
    downhills on the “up”.😉 A+ weather and gorgeous scenery. 1:41:55 for
    4mi, 3000ft. http://home.att.net/~akrunning/Powerline2006/index.html

    Wow, Dot! Breathtaking pictures.

    Thanks, Phil.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    false summit, not the true summit, so it was only 3000 ft up in about
    4 miles.

    Is that all? Are we preparing for Barkley? ;-)

    No😉 But it was about 500 ft and 1 mi less than what I was expecting. 😉
    Hence, I was really surprised to cross finish in 1:42, rather than 2:15,
    which had been my estimate. When I passed the 1-mi to go sign a little
    after 1 hr into the race, I thought oh-oh, since I was expecting about 1
    hr to go remaining 1 mi. One stretch on my local mtn takes me that
    long.🙁 (and that's just the 1st half)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    My usual blathering:

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    I didn’t want a repeat of my last race, so passed as soon as it seemed
    like they might be slower than me.😉 (Good decision - they came in
    20-30 min after me.) One wasn’t too far behind for awhile, but once I
    hit the downhill leading to the stream crossing, which I ran, I never
    heard anyone behind me.

    So there are some that hike the entire distance?

    The last two hiked more than I did, but not sure how much they ran, if
    any. When I passed them, there were three abreast, chatting, but can't
    remember if walking or running - congestion in the first 100 yds or so.
    I took that as the cue to pass in a wide area near the start. One turned
    back before the top. They told me later they took their shoes off to
    cross the stream on the way up. But they were 5x year olds who were
    proud of having gotten out there, trained consistently, and then made it
    up. They were also the ones that went to the true summit. I congratulate
    them for doing it - in whatever form. In our local race, I think even
    the elites hike the 95-100% of Lazy (3000ft in 2.1mi), since there's so
    much to go after that. And things like Mt. Marathon are soo steep, only
    a few people can run up any part of that.

    With better training and no heavy pack, I think I should be able to run
    the 1st two miles (818 ft), since I have run something similar in
    training, but it's almost as fast for me to hike and definitely makes
    more sense energywise. In the full race, I'd be carrying at least 80 oz
    of fluid (4.5 hr), fuel, plus gear for above treeline (probably 3+ hr in
    wind and cold). And that may make the amount of running uphill somewhat
    academic.

    I did run past one other person who was running, but I suspect she hiked
    more than me also.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I was very happy to have long pants on. This also confirmed my
    original plans for what to take on the longer run (which would
    probably have 3+ hr above treeline) - including hat, mittens, and
    kitchen sink.

    Those sinks are heavy, especially the stainless steel type.

    Yep. At least with the cold temperatures, I didn't need the refrigerator.😉

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Great race and very good result. I'm envious of your terrain. Although, I'd
    probably like less elevation once in a while. I guess you'd need a
    treadmill for that. As always, thanks for the report.

    We're kind of in love with our terrain also. But the slopes really are a
    problem for general training. The big hills are beautiful in summer, but
    they can be hazardous in winter (slips or avalanches). My normal rolling
    hills are generally 10-30%, but short (<3 min); my big hills
    (3000-5000ft) are 25-30%. In my area, without going to roads, I haven't
    found decent sized hills in the 7-15% range to train on - like actually
    run instead of power hike for at least 20 min. The gravel road that I
    use in summer is in an avalanche area most of the winter and can start
    getting snow again in August. The trail ones that might work are
    4-wheeler rutted or access bridge removed. One reason I'm starting to
    use hill bounding (or other Lydiard-type hill drills), besides the power
    aspects, is to make a small hill seem larger. The limited access to some
    of the hills because of snow is one reason I try to plan the summer
    since it's so short. We do have a flat abandoned railroad grade (not
    rails to trails) or farm fields that I may use for flat running in
    summer and winter, respectively. And there's some athletic fields /
    picnic area that might be usable.

    *IF* we have another winter like this, I think I would be inclined to
    use a gym for an occasional workout (tm, stair climber, some
    plyometric-like drills, etc) - keep the leg speed and higher efforts. I
    considered it this year, but it didn't feel right for what I was trying
    to do. But we never have two winters alike, so it may not be an issue
    next year - or it could be worse. Or my xt class may go back the way he
    had been doing it, which would help also.

    Dot

    --
    "Success is different things to different people"
    -Bernd Heinrich in Racing the Antelope

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.