PowerTap Install

tomUK

Oct 20, 2003
Can anyone point me to a location where I can see pictures of a neat installtion (wired version). I've searched about but can't find anything.

Thanks

hammonjj said:
Which part of the install are you having problems with?

I'm not having a problem, so to speak. I would like to know the best (tidy) way to run the cables. Also, should the little nob (no pun please) on the reciever face in towards the hub or outwards?

Thanks in advance.

tomUK said:
I'm not having a problem, so to speak. I would like to know the best (tidy) way to run the cables. Also, should the little nob (no pun please) on the reciever face in towards the hub or outwards?

Thanks in advance.
Outwards

Alex Simmons said:
why outwards? Mine is tilted slightly towards the hub slightly but perhaps I am wrong in my install. please explain.

thanks
Vic

tomUK said:
PT Pro, or SL?

My Pro receiver sits atop the left chainstay like a little sharkfin tucked as far back in the rear triangle as possible for protection. In that position, the knob faces inward and the wire comes out the front of the receiver along the chainstay, under the BB, and up the downtube to the front cables. If you use the cadence pickup, then both wires neatly run together on a BB/downtube install.

Unless you are just that much of a stickler for appearance, I'd strongly recommend taping the wires to the frame with the strips of clear tape that come with the unit instead of using zip ties. The wire harness is the most fragile part of the whole setup and zip ties stand a good chance of crimping the wires and rendering it useless if the ties are pulled too tight.

vic32amg said:
why outwards? Mine is tilted slightly towards the hub slightly but perhaps I am wrong in my install. please explain.

thanks
Vic
I'm not talking about the tilt. If yours is the sharkfin, then it doesn't apply - the older style receiver has a cylindrical bulge on one side, and it is that side which should face outwards away from the hub.

Alex Simmons said:
I had more dropouts on the non-drive side chain stay for whatever reason. Mine is down the non-drive side seat stay. I will echo that you should avoid using zip ties on the wiring. It's EXTREMELY fragile in my experience. You cinch it down too tight once, prepare to buy a new sensor/wiring harness.