Powertap SL Wireless upgrade

jasper808

May 25, 2005
I currently have a Powertap SL on the rig and it is "wired." I assume that the Powertap SL can be upgraded to wireless by purchasing the wireless computer. Is this true?

jasper808 said:
I currently have a Powertap SL on the rig and it is "wired." I assume that the Powertap SL can be upgraded to wireless by purchasing the wireless computer. Is this true?
You need the hub and computer. There are some new PowerTap hubs/computers out and they're all wireless, even the starter model.

jasper808 said:
Nah.
But you can send your system to Saris for an upgrade.
You'll get a new HR transmitter and new puter.

I just upgraded mine a few weeks ago. Works great and as noted it does come with a new computer, mount, usb downloader, hr strap, and software.

-matt

mattmor said:
I just upgraded mine a few weeks ago. Works great and as noted it does come with a new computer, mount, usb downloader, hr strap, and software.

-matt
Don't forget that there's also an updater for the SL 2.4 wireless to take advantage of the new ANT+ features that are compatible with the Computers like the Garmin 705. This will update to the new SL+. Cost is ~$99

swampy1970 said:
Don't forget that there's also an updater for the SL 2.4 wireless to take advantage of the new ANT+ features that are compatible with the Computers like the Garmin 705. This will update to the new SL+. Cost is ~$99

Oh I haven't forgotten about that. It's the major reason I upgraded my wired setup. However, I was hoping it would just "work" when it came back. But the announcement for the updater came out the same day I received my wheel back :mad:

I spoke with someone at Saris on Tuesday and was told they should be shipping next week, however that's what I was told last week.

I'll report back once I have mine.

-matt

mattmor said:
Oh I haven't forgotten about that. It's the major reason I upgraded my wired setup. However, I was hoping it would just "work" when it came back. But the announcement for the updater came out the same day I received my wheel back :mad:

I spoke with someone at Saris on Tuesday and was told they should be shipping next week, however that's what I was told last week.

I'll report back once I have mine.

-matt
How long did it take for Saris to turn around that upgrade? I am considering the same upgrade to wireless for my 2 year old Powertap SL (has about 12000 miles on it) and it seems like the way to go. I just want to get an idea of how long I would be without it.

Euskadi said:
How long did it take for Saris to turn around that upgrade? I am considering the same upgrade to wireless for my 2 year old Powertap SL (has about 12000 miles on it) and it seems like the way to go. I just want to get an idea of how long I would be without it.
I shipped mine on Monday, got it back the next Monday.
I think when I shipped it, UPS told me it would be there that Wednesday, so it must have been done the same day they got it.

Can I ask how much it is to return a wired SL for upgrade to wireless?

Thanks

Kevin

kevinm said:

Thanks

Kevin
I talked to Saris yesterday and they said 500 bucks for the upgrade. I think I heard them say you pay shipping to Saris and they cover the return.

Rick

kevinm said:
$300 for a rebuild or $500 for the upgrade.
You pay for the fastest shipping you want, they pay ground shipping back to you.