Wired or wireless powertap?

fearby

Jul 19, 2003
I am looking into buying a powermeter system and the Powertap seems the best for my needs. Is there any benefit in getting the 2.4 wireless version?

FWIW I got the wireless version a few months ago because I have 2 bikes and wanted to be able to change between the two easily, that said you could buy a second harness for much less than the cost of the wireless upgrade. I've had no significant drop out problems, any time it loses the signal for more than a few seconds I use the "find" function and it has always resynched to the hub in seconds.

I guess it comes down to whether you need to move it between bikes and whether you want to pay to not have the wires,shark fin etc. on your bike. Both versions now seem to be pretty reliable.

Wireless PT is the easiest power meter to install of all. Not that the PT is difficult.

If you hate cables/wires, then it's for you.

Other than that, up to you if the extra is worth it.

Both systems along with the Pro system are now very reliable. The 2.4 is, as Alex suggests, the easiest to install, and also the 'cleanest' looking. Additionally, my personal opinion is that the receiver kit (that's got rid of with the 2.4) was always the weakest part of the system. If the additional pricing of the 2.4 compared to the SL is okay for you, i'd recommend the 2.4.

Fearby, give me a shout on the prices, we have the best UK prices!

Cheers
Ric

Hi

fearby said:
I am looking into buying a powermeter system and the Powertap seems the best for my needs. Is there any benefit in getting the 2.4 wireless version?
I pondered over this and went for the 2.4 and have NO regrets at all. I have yet to experience a single data stream dropout. I was wondering whether this might be because I'm using a carbon bike and that the carbon lets the signals from the hub pass through it more easily than other materials, the "windows" on the hub itself are carbon for this purpose as well as to save weight I understand.

Anyhow, it works a treat, shame about the numbers it produces! ;-)

PB