Road Cycling · Public discussion

pre-and post-ride foods

Started by recycled · · Last activity · 6 posts · 1,018 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
28 May 2008
Last activity
3 June 2008
Original author
recycled
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,018
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I know carbs pre-ride is obvious. But what specific foods?

    I have a ken for whole grain breads toasted with Just Peanuts peanut butter.
    Natural sugars like fruits and fruit juice works too.

    Post-ride I turn carnivore with any sort of meat protein. Sometimes I crave
    high protein for a couple days after a good ride.

    A good ride for me being anywhere from 2 hours early in the season to a full
    6-8 hour day when I'm really in the zone.

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    recycled said:

    I know carbs pre-ride is obvious. But what specific foods?

    Potato salad 'n cherry pie.

    Quoted message said:

    I have a ken for whole grain breads toasted with Just Peanuts peanut butter.
    Natural sugars like fruits and fruit juice works too.

    Post-ride I turn carnivore with any sort of meat protein. Sometimes I crave
    high protein for a couple days after a good ride.

    A good ride for me being anywhere from 2 hours early in the season to a full
    6-8 hour day when I'm really in the zone.

    Beware the Halifax donair.

    I figure a plain ordinary balanced diet does the
    trick well enough. The human body knows what it
    needs, and that manifests as cravings. As long
    as you don't neglect those healthy 'n tasty
    vegetables & fruits, and keep your portions
    reasonably sized, life is good.

    As for post-exercise protein, I just luvs my
    George Foreman [G+] Broil. Lamb chops, chicken
    breasts, chuck (aka blade or ranch) steaks,
    grilled cheeses -- they all come out wonderfully.
    Of course it ain't a patch on a /real/ grill that
    smokily imbues your food with yummy carcinogenics.
    In fact, charcoal-grilled pineapple is my favourite
    candy.

    I used to work with a gym-rat guy; he OD'd on
    that whey protein powder stuff, trying to bulk-up
    too quickly. One morning he woke up unrecognizable
    and looking like the Michelin Tire Man. I'd leave
    that junk alone and just stick with good-tasting
    real food.

    Eggos are great for shingling your bacon 'n
    over-easy eggs. A fistful of patio/tom thumb/
    cherry tomatoes on the side (w/ a drizzle of
    rice vinegar and an adequate shake of salt,)
    and yer set.

    Sweet corn/maize is a wonderfully different take
    on carbohydrates.

    I've found tahini is a good way to use up all the
    zucchinis I get given to me, by sub'ing the eggplant
    w/ zucchini.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    Nothing is safe from me.
    I'm really at:
    tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

  3. Do you guys think that eating specific foods helps your cycling
    performance on an individual ride?

    If so, I definitely have to watch my pre-ride food intake! I guess
    this means no more microwaved frozen burritos and forties of O.E.

    Damn.

    Regards,
    Cullen

  4. (Tom Keats) said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    recycled said:

    I know carbs pre-ride is obvious. But what specific foods?

    Potato salad 'n cherry pie.

    Quoted message said:

    I have a ken for whole grain breads toasted with Just Peanuts peanut butter.
    Natural sugars like fruits and fruit juice works too.

    Quoted message said:

    Post-ride I turn carnivore with any sort of meat protein. Sometimes I crave
    high protein for a couple days after a good ride.

    Quoted message said:

    A good ride for me being anywhere from 2 hours early in the season to a full
    6-8 hour day when I'm really in the zone.

    Beware the Halifax donair.

    You're safe with roadside food--but beware the chilies and the lure of
    sririchi sauce or even hotwings and such. I tempted fate last fall on
    a Sunday and had to ride several miles puckered till I found a honey
    bucket a kilter at a downtown work site. Oh, the burn! The workout
    riding out of the saddle six miles back wasn't bad either!

    But yeah--the fancy gels and stuff are pretty hilarious. I caught up
    with a charity ride a couple weeks ago and there was a flock of tri
    guys with their little "bento boxes" and all their "aero foods" packed
    just so. Must sell a lot of those things to the OCD crowd. FWIW, a
    kabanos zip tied to the top tube is about as aero as it gets and very
    calorie dense!

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted post said:

    Do you guys think that eating specific foods helps your cycling
    performance on an individual ride?

    Yes, to an extent. It works the other way, too.
    Eating specific foods can hinder one's performance
    on an individual ride. Especially greasy stuff
    like sawmill gravy or really bad pizza or deep
    fried anything.

    One pre-ride food that really enhances my performance
    is that good ol' ubiquitous standby: Kraft Dinner.

    Quoted message said:

    If so, I definitely have to watch my pre-ride food intake! I guess
    this means no more microwaved frozen burritos and forties of O.E.


    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Ugh.

    I think one could starve to death, eating 7-Eleven fare.
    That stuff isn't even food. For a few cents more than
    the price of frozen burritos you could nuke up a nice
    Scots pie and a cob o' corn.

    I dunno what O.E. is, but maybe it would hurt to cut
    that intake down from forties to 26ers. Or just drown
    the forties with a lot of mix so you can say you're just
    drinkin' weak ones. Maybe a mix that's a good source of
    vitamin C and other nutrients.

    Quoted message said:

    Damn.

    Life is so unfair.

    Oh, well.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    Nothing is safe from me.
    I'm really at:
    tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

  6. "Tom Keats" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted post said:

    Do you guys think that eating specific foods helps your cycling
    performance on an individual ride?

    Yes, to an extent. It works the other way, too.
    Eating specific foods can hinder one's performance
    on an individual ride. Especially greasy stuff
    like sawmill gravy or really bad pizza or deep
    fried anything.

    One pre-ride food that really enhances my performance
    is that good ol' ubiquitous standby: Kraft Dinner.

    Quoted message said:

    If so, I definitely have to watch my pre-ride food intake! I guess
    this means no more microwaved frozen burritos and forties of O.E.


    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Ugh.

    I think one could starve to death, eating 7-Eleven fare.
    That stuff isn't even food. For a few cents more than
    the price of frozen burritos you could nuke up a nice
    Scots pie and a cob o' corn.

    I dunno what O.E. is, but maybe it would hurt to cut
    that intake down from forties to 26ers. Or just drown
    the forties with a lot of mix so you can say you're just
    drinkin' weak ones. Maybe a mix that's a good source of
    vitamin C and other nutrients.

    I've wondered if there are really bad foods to have while riding - I mean
    other than junk food.

    I've had meals that were too heavy in that I felt logy afterwards while
    riding. But never anything that cause more than a few tens of minutes of
    discomfort.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.