rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Pre Jump Rituals/Warm-ups

Started by hungry4uni · · Last activity · 27 posts · 548 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
3 April 2008
Last activity
6 April 2008
Original author
hungry4uni
Posts
27
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
548
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 27
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hey guys,

    I have been trying the same 40 cm. hop for a few days now, and can land
    it abut 10% of the time. I'm trying to figure out rituals or warm-ups
    people do to prepare them for the big hop.

    So??????

    --
    hungry4uni

    If only all bikes were cut in two
    '1st
    VIDEO'
    (

    )
    '2nd
    VIDEO'
    (

    )
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hungry4uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16147
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68936

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. hungry4uni said:

    Hey guys,

    I have been trying the same 40 cm. hop for a few days now, and can land
    it abut 10% of the time. I'm trying to figure out rituals or warm-ups
    people do to prepare them for the big hop.

    So??????

    I just ride around pretty fast and aggressively doing little things,
    like 180s, jumping down and up stairs and ledges, just to get the blood
    flowing,

    If im really bored ill do those SIF crouching exercises a bit, but not
    much.

    After im warmed up I do some stretches too.

    --
    Jerrick

    -i am christian, and i ride for christ.
    check out my 'gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/2zfklh).
    member of the 'mris' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz).
    just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. where
    there's love and inspiration, i don't think you can go wrong.
    ~jerrick-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jerrick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11632
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68936

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. Jerrick said:


    After im warmed up I do some stretches too.

    Any stretches in particular?

    --
    hungry4uni

    If only all bikes were cut in two
    '1st
    VIDEO'
    (

    )
    '2nd
    VIDEO'
    (

    )
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hungry4uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16147
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68936

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. hungry4uni said:

    Any stretches in particular?

    Not really. Just basic ones for legs body and arms.

    --
    Jerrick

    -i am christian, and i ride for christ.
    check out my 'gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/2zfklh).
    member of the 'mris' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz).
    just don't give up trying to do what you really want to do. where
    there's love and inspiration, i don't think you can go wrong.
    ~jerrick-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jerrick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11632
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68936

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. I just do some crank grabs on the object before I try going to rubber.

    This is kind of on topic, every day I go out to hop on top of things,
    its almost as if I have to relearn how to do it. Like sometimes
    something I could do easy at the end of yesterday will take me a half
    hour to land the next. Does this happen to any of you.

    --
    littleman
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    littleman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15401
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68936

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. littleman said:

    I just do some crank grabs on the object before I try going to rubber.

    This is kind of on topic, every day I go out to hop on top of things,
    its almost as if I have to relearn how to do it. Like sometimes
    something I could do easy at the end of yesterday will take me a half
    hour to land the next. Does this happen to any of you.

    Same thing with me.

    --
    hungry4uni

    If only all bikes were cut in two
    '1st
    VIDEO'
    (

    )
    '2nd
    VIDEO'
    (

    )
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hungry4uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16147
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68936

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  7. Nope.

    --
    wickedbob

    R.I.P MITCH HEDBERG

    'Add wickedbob to your ignore list' (http://tinyurl.com/3dfrko).

    My posts don't count they came from MR...would they matter anyways?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    wickedbob's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14353
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68936

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  8. Jump w/o the uni as high as you can and pull your legs up all the way w/
    your knees around your shoulders.

    Repeat 20 times.

    And/or...
    Jump on a bunch of stuff that's normally relatively easy untill you're
    warmed up. Focus on consistency, smoothness, and speed.

    --
    skilewis74

    Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
    are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
    time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

    What next? 'IUF skill levels'
    (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
    Street'
    (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
    (http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
    (http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64235)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    skilewis74's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12404
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68936

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  9. skilewis74 said:

    Jump w/o the uni as high as you can and pull your legs up all the way w/
    your knees around your shoulders.

    Repeat 20 times.

    And/or...
    Jump on a bunch of stuff that's normally relatively easy untill you're
    warmed up. Focus on consistency, smoothness, and speed.

    that's good. sometimes, when i'm bored i practice jumping and pulling
    my legs up, just to get my body more and more used to it.

    basically, most of jumping onto objects is a mind over matter. when i
    started riding trials i couldn't hop onto anything higher than a curb,
    then my mental block became anything higher than my tire, then my seat
    post clamp, and now it's anything higher than my seat. Even though I
    can hop higher than my seat (there are also eye-witnesses), over 1m
    high, I have yet to hop onto something that high or higher. 39 is the
    highest i've landed. Rest assured, I will also be pushing my own
    limits both vertically, laterally, with speed, flow and style all this
    summer. I feel it's going to be a good summer.

    To warm up, I also do squats with the uni (I call them Zack Baldwin
    squats, because he was the first that I saw post about them in detail),
    and I squat ride. I stretch before all of that, and pogo on my feet to
    warm up my ankles, and then I hop w/o the uni and bring my legs up to
    my chest.

    Any time I squat w/the uni i also push the seat as far forward as I
    can. Any time I warm up ride sif I push the seat as far away as I can,
    making sure to keep the pressure from my hand that's holding the seat,
    off of the seat. I also ride sif backwards pushing the seat out
    farther from me, as I go along.

    Getting good at these things, I could ride SIF with more confidence
    than seat-in, and generally better than seat-in. Isn't that weird?

    Someone asked a consistency question. Yes. I sometimes go outside and
    do something, mess up on it, when I landed it easily the day before.
    This is when I have to compose myself and not get angry, otherwise my
    whole ride will be a frustration.

    hope that helps!
    evan

    --
    TrialsUni
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TrialsUni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7986
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68936

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  10. TrialsUni said:

    To warm up, I also do squats with the uni (I call them Zack Baldwin
    squats, because he was the first that I saw post about them in detail),
    and I squat ride.

    These are on the George Peck video. 🙄

    --
    U-Turn

    Weep in the dojo... laugh on the battlefield.
    -- Dave Stockton
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    U-Turn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/691
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68936

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  11. TrialsUni said:

    that's good. sometimes, when i'm bored i practice jumping and pulling
    my legs up, just to get my body more and more used to it.

    basically, most of jumping onto objects is a mind over matter. when i
    started riding trials i couldn't hop onto anything higher than a curb,
    then my mental block became anything higher than my tire, then my seat
    post clamp, and now it's anything higher than my seat. Even though I
    can hop higher than my seat (there are also eye-witnesses), over 1m
    high, I have yet to hop onto something that high or higher. 39 is the
    highest i've landed. Rest assured, I will also be pushing my own
    limits both vertically, laterally, with speed, flow and style all this
    summer. I feel it's going to be a good summer.

    To warm up, I also do squats with the uni (I call them Zack Baldwin
    squats, because he was the first that I saw post about them in detail),
    and I squat ride. I stretch before all of that, and pogo on my feet to
    warm up my ankles, and then I hop w/o the uni and bring my legs up to
    my chest.

    Any time I squat w/the uni i also push the seat as far forward as I
    can. Any time I warm up ride sif I push the seat as far away as I can,
    making sure to keep the pressure from my hand that's holding the seat,
    off of the seat. I also ride sif backwards pushing the seat out
    farther from me, as I go along.

    Getting good at these things, I could ride SIF with more confidence
    than seat-in, and generally better than seat-in. Isn't that weird?

    Someone asked a consistency question. Yes. I sometimes go outside and
    do something, mess up on it, when I landed it easily the day before.
    This is when I have to compose myself and not get angry, otherwise my
    whole ride will be a frustration.

    hope that helps!
    evan

    speaking of that, have you ever tried rubbing the seat on the ground
    and riding for any distance?
    its quite a new feeling once you can do it.

    uhm
    something that helps me is to find something about 5" lower (this is
    when i'm getting on something 30" or so) than what i'm looking at, but
    SLIGHTLY more technical, like i have to land on a 6" wide ledge or
    something, do that repeatedly, and if at all possible, jump over it, or
    at least attempt it several times. i find that jumping over things
    increases my ability to hop up things.

    in my case, crank grabbing anything kills my ability to jump on it. i
    have crank grabbed a ledge that was up to my chest, but i havn't even
    gotten within 6" of that high jumping onto something.

    --
    skrobo

    Quoted message said:

    <> Unicycle For Christ <><


    'MY VIDEOS-for enjoyment purposes'
    (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)

    🙂 do it for the joy, do it for the fun, do it for the looks, do it for
    yourself. 🙂
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68936

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  12. KH has said that a good way to improve SIF balance and control is to
    learn seat drags/pushes.

    --
    zfreak220

    agentQ said:

    Don't quote me on that.

    Jkohse said:

    ill never go back to 20 again, 24 for life!


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    zfreak220's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11948
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68936

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  13. this is true, now try ducking while doing one 🙂

    --
    skrobo

    Quoted message said:

    <> Unicycle For Christ <><


    'MY VIDEOS-for enjoyment purposes'
    (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)

    🙂 do it for the joy, do it for the fun, do it for the looks, do it for
    yourself. 🙂
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68936

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  14. Interesting ideas,

    my hop right now is at 16." as 4 days ago it was 12." As for right now,
    I'm just trying to master the 16" before I go any higher, and oh,
    skrobo, I'm going to try what you said about the jumping over things,
    6" lower.

    Thanks for the comments and keep postin'!

    --
    hungry4uni

    If only all bikes were cut in two
    '1st
    VIDEO'
    (

    )
    '2nd
    VIDEO'
    (

    )
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hungry4uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16147
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68936

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  15. I don't have to warm up, because I'm a ninja.

    --
    UniDudeDX

    'My Youtube Profile!' (http://youtube.com/profile?user=unidudedx)

    Naomi said:

    trying to attach a picture of the tree, before it was circumsized.


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UniDudeDX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/15696
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68936

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  16. It's mostly about confidence so I jump do all sorts of stuff like uni
    spins to get my confidence up. Trying something slightly lower than
    40cm before you do 40cm would help too.

    --
    SkierAlex
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SkierAlex's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16317
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68936

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  17. try it 100 times and get really really mad.
    kick ur uni around a bit.
    try it another 100 times and get even worse.
    at this point you will feel like giving up. do so.
    come back the next day and get it first try.

    --
    unidunc

    *)-90'-unispin-O* 1st Place

    (second uni vid, 3 months
    into my new life)
    Hey dude. how much do you want to bet i can ride a cycle no handed
    while pulling a wheelie for 100 meters?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unidunc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16535
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68936

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  18. unidunc said:

    try it 100 times and get really really mad.
    kick ur uni around a bit.
    try it another 100 times and get even worse.
    at this point you will feel like giving up. do so.
    come back the next day and get it first try.

    Wow dude thats some pretty sound advice right there.
    Maybe I should try that, theres this house thats pretty high but I just
    cant seem to get onto it 🙄

    --
    sp4rky-m4rky

    my 'Year in vid'
    (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NR_FRoOqHBI#GU5U2spHI_4)
    learning 180 or 360 unispins? watch my 'unispin tutorial'
    (

    )
    Want to glide? watch my 'ww tutorial'
    (

    )

    UniDudeDX said:

    but how does it feel??

    Munivision said:

    Really great!

    UniDudeDX said:

    quickies normaly do...


    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    sp4rky-m4rky's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14270
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68936

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  19. sp4rky-m4rky said:

    Wow dude thats some pretty sound advice right there.
    Maybe I should try that, theres this house thats pretty high but I just
    cant seem to get onto it 🙄

    It took me a while to come up with that routine and im pretty proud of
    it actually.
    perhaps if you try for something higher then the house first? mayb a
    telephone pole...

    --
    unidunc

    *)-90'-unispin-O* 1st Place


    newest vid from the video challenge - i didnt finish it on time
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unidunc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/16535
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68936

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  20. I used to jump straight on my uni and ride, but at some point I started
    stretching and really noticed the difference in my riding.
    Normally I stretch my calfs and my quads and that seems enough to do a
    bit of trials.

    Edd

    --
    Eddbmxdude

    "I guess it's just a good thing you didn't include the footage of us
    snorting cocaine from the thighs of prostitutes eh Edd." - Boogie

    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

    "Unicycling only makes you look like a freak when you're riding." -
    Unisteve
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Eddbmxdude's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11584
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/68936

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.