It seems to me if the manufacturers used preservatives that look like grease, but which need to be cleaned off to insure good chain life, the chains would come with instructions that say that.
Besides that, can you imagine companies like Trek not asking chain manufacturers to ship them ready to install if that isn't what they are? SRAM chains in bulk packaging have the same greasy lubricant as all the others past and present brands. This is a religious issue.
"Diablo Scott" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:1099067461.hSZS3MF66w1jv7mGf8AVEQ@teranews...
Quoted message said:
Boatman said:
Does anyone clean the wax or whatever off new chains before installing
them?
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
What is that stuff?
Boatman
The stuff is called cosmolene. You can leave it on, but if you want to use your own brand of lube you're better off removing the cosmolene first so your stuff can get where it needs to go.
This has been investigated & reported in this NG before. It's not cosmolene, at least not on SRAM chains.
Does anyone clean the wax or whatever off new chains before installing them? What is that stuff?
Boatman
I just bought a new shimano chain it was covered the stickiest stuff I ever seen. I could not remove it, so I had to no choice. Now the chain is dirt magnet and greasy as hell.
I really wish shimano didn't put such sticky [censored] on their chains
I just bought a new shimano chain it was covered the stickiest stuff I ever seen. I could not remove it, so I had to no choice. Now the chain is dirt magnet and greasy as hell.
I hang a new Shimano chain vertically, spray WD-40 onto a clean rag, and wipe the excess grease off the exterior. It takes a while, but you can get rid of the sticky feel. But the inner sides of the plates will still be sticky and attract grit.
I'm seriously considering changing sides on this issue, and giving my new chains a thorough cleaning in mineral spirits.
Are SRAM or other brand chains as bad as Shimano in this regard?
Are SRAM or other brand chains as bad as Shimano in this regard?
Art Harris
The SRAM PC-48 I just put on had what I think a very sticky dirt-attracting gunk all over. As I posted earlier, a quick clean in Simple Green (in a water bottle), then a spray down with WD-40 cleaned it up great! Of course, I oiled it up with my favorite oil (Finish Line Dry Lube) as well.
"Boatman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:Og8hd.28406$HA.28282@attbi_s01...
Quoted message said:
Arthur Harris said:
Are SRAM or other brand chains as bad as Shimano in this regard?
Art Harris
The SRAM PC-48 I just put on had what I think a very sticky
dirt-attracting
Quoted message said:
gunk all over. As I posted earlier, a quick clean in Simple Green (in a water bottle), then a spray down with WD-40 cleaned it up great! Of
course,
Quoted message said:
I oiled it up with my favorite oil (Finish Line Dry Lube) as well.
I have used PC-48's for years exclusively on all dozen or so family bikes. I just wipe off the new chains to remove the surplus lube. I don't even bother cleaning them any more, just wipe & relube occasionally, always wipe down after riding in the rain. Heck, they're only $10 chains.