Damsel in dis Dress said:Since watching my mother get covered with extremely hot potatoes which
had erupted out of her pressure cooker, I've been scared to death of
the things.
Crash and I spotted a Mirro cooker and canner on sale just after
moving to this house a little over two years ago. We brought it home,
and it's been sitting in the basement, waiting to be used, ever since.
Promptly by rising gas prices, I decided to haul it up from the
basement and start using it. I just want to clarify. A 21st century
canner will tend to be safer than a mid 20th century one?
Also, I had no clue how big this thing would be. Holy smokes, is this
puppy big! 12 quart size. After I lose my fear of this thing, I'll
probably head over to rec.food.preserving so I may can some things
other than fruits.
In addition to safety reassurance, I'd be interested in knowing what
others use their pressure cookers for.
Thanks,
Carol
You likely won't see this as from last night's comments, I assume you
kf'ed me, but just in case, I have the 22 qt Mirro pressure
cooker/canner. If you need any advice, just ask. I have the manual as
well as recipes. IMO, the new pressure cookers/canners are perfectly
safe. I have two other pressure cookers. If canning, make sure you
adhere to the 10 min venting prior to bringing the canner up to pressure
as that is part of the cooking process. Make sure you keep your seal in
good condition and take the precaution of ensuring the hole where you
place the rocker is clear of any debrise. Other than that, sit back and
enjoy. I use my pressure canner for canning but it could be used for
cooking large quantity foods. I use my pressure cookers for soups,
stews, chili (if in a hurry), stocks, beans, and roasts. Unlike a slow
cooker, the meat can be browned directly in the pressure cooker. Beans
are quick to do in a pressure cooker but in my experience, the cook time
is quick to overshoot resulting in mushy beans. I really like the
pressure cookers for making stocks as it greatly shortens the time
saving both energy and time. Personally I prefer pressure cookers to
the microwave. Anyway, have fun experimenting 🙂