Road Cycling · Public discussion

Price out this bike please.

Started by swargy · · Last activity · 12 posts · 1,370 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
19 April 2010
Last activity
13 October 2011
Original author
swargy
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,370
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm looking at possibly selling my bike which I've had for 6 years and upgrading but I have no clue how much it is worth so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.
    Here is what I know is on the bike:

    Basso frame (unsure what kind or size but can find out if needed, when I took the bike to a shop the guy said it used to be a high end race frame)
    Shimano 105 crank
    Shimano durace shifters and derailleurs
    Shimano 600 Brakes
    Bontrager race lite wheelset (not in the pictures)
    The rest I do not know.

    As you can see in the pictures it has had better days. There are some scuffs on the components, some chips in the frame (frame is steel so the chips are just in the paint), cables need replacing soon, sprockets are worn, tires and tubes are brand new. Everything works perfectly and the big problems are just cosmetic.

    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c198/swargy/MYDC0009.jpg?t=1271689154
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c198/swargy/MYDC0015.jpg?t=1271689155
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c198/swargy/MYDC0014.jpg?t=1271689208
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c198/swargy/MYDC0014.jpg?t=1271689143

  2. FWIW. Depending on your budget, I recommend that you simply change some of the components ...

    I've said it umpteen times, but a pair of 10-speed, non-QS (i.e., non-Xenon derived) Campagnolo shifters will index quite well with 8-/9-/10-speed Shimano drivetrains with only some tweaking in some cases.

    So, if you clean off the grime & buy some new tires & tubes, new shifters, new cables & housing then you may realize that you don't need to spend between $1000-to-$2000 to get a comparable riding bike just to get the feel of a new ride.

    What is your budget?

    BTW. The leading portion of the housing for the rear brake cable looks too short ...

  3. Well the reason I want to sell is because one of my family members works at Trek and can get Trek products at a reduced price. I was thinking that with an extra $500 I could get A LOT better bike than my current one. I do like my current one but I don't know how long I'll be able to get this reduced price. So I guess my budget would be $500.

    My father has the Pilot 5.2 (I think) and I really like the bike and was thinking about looking into the same bike so I wanted to see if I could sell my bike for the difference in price.

    Also I messed up one of the picture links.
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c198/swargy/MYDC0011.jpg?t=1271723466

  4. Part out the frame and components. Sell on eBay. You will probably get $500 for the frame alone. I don't think that the components will fetch much because of their age and degree of deterioration, and they do detract from a great frame(even with the chips).

  5. swargy said:

    Well the reason I want to sell is because one of my family members works at Trek and can get Trek products at a reduced price. I was thinking that with an extra $500 I could get A LOT better bike than my current one. I do like my current one but I don't know how long I'll be able to get this reduced price. So I guess my budget would be $500.

    My father has the Pilot 5.2 (I think) and I really like the bike and was thinking about looking into the same bike so I wanted to see if I could sell my bike for the difference in price.

    Also I messed up one of the picture links.
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c198/swargy/MYDC0011.jpg?t=1271723466

    Well, I know that there IS a philosophy that states that "I would be losing money if I didn't buy it" ...

    But, for $200, you can update your BASSO (which is a really nice frame, but the value is in finding someone else who appreciates how nice it is) and probably end up with a nicer bike than any Trek you would buy for less than $2000.

    From the earlier picture, I wasn't sure if those were 8-speed or 9-speed shifters ... but, I see they are 8-speed, and that means you only have to buy a pair of 10-speed, non-QS Campagnolo shifters ... attach them with new cables & housing, wrap some new handlebar tape on your bars, and (IMO) you'll be good-to-go with a much nicer riding bike than a Trek Pilot.

    You can spend between $100-to-$400+ for used-to-new Campagnolo shifters on eBay.

    I think that if you sell the BASSO frame that you'll regret it unless you end up growing another 4-to-10 inches more than whatever your current height is.

    BTW. You may want a shorter stem ... probably one that is closer to 9cm in length.

  6. lehua768 said:

    Plagiarism post removed

    Hey, this guy stole my post!😠 Can I sue for copyright infringement?🙁

  7. kdelong said:

    Hey, this guy stole my post!😠 Can I sue for copyright infringement?🙁

    Wow, that's a whole new level of spambot....go to a forum, snip a complete post and tag your spammy links to the bottom. The machines are definitely taking over:eek:

  8. I have looked at a sticker on the frame and it says this.

    "Columbus
    Rubi Speciali Rinforzati
    Acciaio CrMo Cyclex
    SL
    Doppio Spessore"

    I'm guessing most of that is Italian but the 2 things which were larger were Columbus SL.

  9. swargy said:

    I have looked at a sticker on the frame and it says this.

    "Columbus
    Rubi Speciali Rinforzati
    Acciaio CrMo Cyclex
    SL
    Doppio Spessore"

    I'm guessing most of that is Italian but the 2 things which were larger were Columbus SL.

    Columbus is the company that supplied the steel tubing. Rubi Speciali Rinforzati means that the steel is specially reiniforced. Acciaio CrMo Cyclex tells you that the steel is a chrome molybdenum alloy grade called Cyclex. To the best of my recollection, this sort of dates the bike to the early 80's since that is when they used the term Cyclex. Doppio Spressore literally means "double thickness" and indicates that the tubing is double butted. This means that the tubing is thicker in some areas, where more strength is needed, and thinner in other areas where strength is not needed. This makes for a lighter bike and is usually a sign of a quality steel frame. By the way, Columbus SL is very good steel for a bicycle frame.

  10. Basso was one of the most highly regarded Italian builders of classic steel racing frames. Columbus SL, lugs, short Campagnolo horizontal dropouts, threaded fork and quill stem, and paint suggest the frame dates from the early to mid 1980s. The STI levers indicate the bike was updated, probably around the late 1990s. It's a sweet machine but quite the contrast from a Trek Pilot, sort of like comparing a Ferrari 328 to a Ford Fusion. Well, a very loaded Ford Fusion.

    You might get around $600, mostly for the frame, I don't think you'll gain much by parting this bike out. It's a case of too old to be up to date and too new to be vintage.

  11. oldbobcat said:


    You might get around $600, mostly for the frame, I don't think you'll gain much by parting this bike out. It's a case of too old to be up to date and too new to be vintage.

    That is pretty much the reason that I would part it out. You get rid of the early 90's components and you have a great vintage frame. You will have some who would pass on the complete bike because they don't want to pay for the mish mash of early 90s Shimano with the frame. And you might have someone who actually wants the parts but not the Basso frame. I know that I would snap the frame up in a minute, if it were the right size, and mate it with vintage Campy, but I have absolutely no use for the Shimano parts.

  12. I just look the topic!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.