General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Prime Rib on a gas BBQ

Started by Doug · · Last activity · 9 posts · 372 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
19 June 2004
Last activity
19 June 2004
Original author
Doug
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
372
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I want to cook a 4.25 pound prime rib, bones still attached,
    on my gas grill. I can keep the temperature at about 250
    with the lid down.

    How long should it cook?

    Thanks,

  2. I would get an Iron Skillet and get it hot enough to smoke.
    Then brown the rib roast on all sides to seal it and roast
    at 250 in the iron skillet on the grill and use a meat
    thermometer to get the internal temp to 135 degrees. Remove
    the meat and let it relax and raise about 7 to 10 degrees
    and then carve. The interior will be med rare[warm red
    center] and the outside will be medium[hot thin red center].
    Sorry I believe any true steak should never be cooked past
    my description of medium, Have the butcher remove the
    feather bones or at the least crack the rib, this will allow
    a easier carve. You may want to remove the muscle after
    cooking by following the rib and feather bones and let the
    guest suck the meat off the bones, the tasty part, and then
    slice the rib muscle into steaks at a thickness to serve the
    number of guest. You could serve 3 to 5 people with this
    size roast.

    I believe it is 15 minutes per lb. for a cooking time.

    "Doug" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:douglashh-
    [email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I want to cook a 4.25 pound prime rib, bones still
    attached, on my gas grill. I can keep the temperature at
    about 250 with the lid down.

    How long should it cook?

    Thanks,

  3. [email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I want to cook a 4.25 pound prime rib, bones still
    attached, on my gas grill. I can keep the temperature at
    about 250 with the lid down.

    How long should it cook?

    Thanks,

    Doug, you may want to ask alt.food.barbecue. Many of those
    guys are experts - some just think they are, but they're
    pretty helpful for the most part.

    kili
    --
    "Beer, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." - - Homer
    Simpson
    "Doug" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:douglashh-

  4. In rec.food.cooking said:

    I want to cook a 4.25 pound prime rib, bones still
    attached, on my gas grill. I can keep the temperature at
    about 250 with the lid down.

    Quoted message said:

    How long should it cook?

    Until it is done.

    You need a thermometer, and not a stopwatch.

    At that low cooking temp, you want to stop at a lower
    internal temp than you might otherwise. I'd pull it at 120
    and let it rest.

    --
    ...I'm an air-conditioned gypsy...

    - The Who

  5. Doug said:

    I want to cook a 4.25 pound prime rib, bones still
    attached, on my gas grill. I can keep the temperature at
    about 250 with the lid down.

    How long should it cook?

    Thanks,

    Why not cut it down into individual prime ribs. I've done it
    that way on the grill and they come out great. That way you
    can tell when they are done by the feel of the meat...real
    soft=med rare, med soft= well

  6. "Doug" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I want to cook a 4.25 pound prime rib, bones still
    attached, on my gas grill. I can keep the temperature at
    about 250 with the lid down.

    How long should it cook?

    Thanks,

    I'm assuming that you have a rotisseree? 14-16 minutes per
    pound, but use a meat thermometer. Keep in mind that the
    temperature of beef will continue to rise after it is taken
    off the heat.

  7. Emil Luca said:

    I would get an Iron Skillet and get it hot enough to
    smoke. Then brown the rib roast on all sides to seal it

    There's no "seal" when the outside is browned. It's just
    browned or "seared." Juices still leak out, and they leak
    even more quickly when the outside is browned because of
    muscle fiber contraction because of the denaturing.

    Quoted message said:

    and roast at 250 in the iron skillet on the grill and use
    a meat thermometer to get the internal temp to 135
    degrees.

    There's no good reason to roast it in a skillet. There will
    be little pan juice, certainly not enough to save as a gravy
    base and the skillet will interfere with the convection
    currents that will cook the roast more evenly.

    Quoted message said:

    Remove the meat and let it relax and raise about 7 to 10
    degrees and then carve. The interior will be med rare[warm
    red center]

    At a finish temp of 145, it's at medium and heading up to
    med-well. This temperature will give a warm pink center.

    Quoted message said:

    and the outside will be medium[hot thin red center].

    The entire piece of meat is judged as a unit and, in this
    case should be characterized as medium. Since when are there
    two different readings on a roast?

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry I believe any true steak should never be cooked past
    my description of medium,

    A prime rib is a roast, not a steak. As for doneness, its
    all opinion.

    Quoted message said:

    Have the butcher remove the feather bones or at the least
    crack the rib, this will allow a easier carve.

    "Crack the rib" as in break the bone? Never heard of
    such a thing.

    Quoted message said:

    You may want to remove the muscle after cooking by
    following the rib and feather bones and let the guest
    suck the meat off the bones, the tasty part, and then
    slice the rib muscle into steaks at a thickness to serve
    the number of guest. You could serve 3 to 5 people with
    this size roast.

    More like 3 once you subtract the weight of the bones and
    the loss in trimming, cooking, and carving. Figure 50%
    +/- of the original weight will reach the plates of the
    people at table.

    Quoted message said:

    I believe it is 15 minutes per lb. for a cooking time.

    Cooking time will vary significantly depending on any or all
    of several variables like the temp of the meat, the actual
    temp of the grill, the shape of the roast, the variability
    of the flame, how often the lid is raised, the wind blowing
    on the grill, etc.

    Pastorio

    Quoted message said:

    "Doug" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:douglashh-
    [email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I want to cook a 4.25 pound prime rib, bones still
    attached, on my gas grill. I can keep the temperature at
    about 250 with the lid down.

    How long should it cook?

    Thanks,

  8. "Emil Luca" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I would get an Iron Skillet and get it hot enough to
    smoke. Then brown


    the

    Quoted message said:

    rib roast on all sides to seal it and roast at 250 in the
    iron skillet on the grill and use a meat thermometer to
    get the internal temp to 135 degrees. Remove the meat and
    let it relax and raise about 7 to 10 degrees and then
    carve. The interior will be med rare[warm red center] and
    the outside will be medium[hot thin red center]. Sorry I
    believe any true


    steak

    Quoted message said:

    should never be cooked past my description of medium, Have
    the butcher remove the feather bones or at the least crack
    the rib, this will allow a easier carve. You may want to
    remove the muscle after cooking by following the rib and
    feather bones and let the guest suck the meat off the
    bones, the tasty part, and then slice the rib muscle into
    steaks at a thickness to serve the number of guest. You
    could serve 3 to


    5

    Quoted message said:

    people with this size roast.

    Browning does not seal anything - but is still important
    because of the flavor it develops. It think your recipe is
    the best way to do prime rib - brown in a skillet then cook
    at a relatively low temp until medium rare.

    --
    Peter Aitken

    Remove the [censored] from my email address before using.

  9. [email hidden] :

    || In rec.food.cooking, Doug <[email hidden]> wrote:
    || > I want to cook a 4.25 pound prime rib, bones still
    || > attached, on my gas grill. I can keep the temperature
    || > at about 250 with the lid down.
    ||
    || > How long should it cook?
    ||
    || Until it is done.
    ||
    Yes - once it's black and smoking, you can safely consider
    you may have overcooked.

    --

    Do what ye will and harm none.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.