Primo Comet Experience?

9

98gtw

Guest
I'd like to hear thoughts on the 20x1-1/8 and 20x1-3/8 sizes in particular, especially at higher air
pressures. The 1-1/8 is 100# rated; the 1-3/8 states 85#. Have you run the wider tire at higher
pressures?

TIA

--
Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer

98GTW <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I'd like to hear thoughts on the 20x1-1/8 and 20x1-3/8 sizes in particular, especially at higher
> air pressures. The 1-1/8 is 100# rated; the 1-3/8 states 85#. Have you run the wider tire at
> higher pressures?
>
> TIA

The 20x1.35 Primo Comets that I have are rated at 100psi. I regularly run them at 120psi. My
rides are on asphalt trails and are usually only 16-30 miles at a time. If you lock the wheel
under braking, the tread will rip off on that spot. I can't say that overinflation is the cause
of that problem.

98GTW wrote:

>I'd like to hear thoughts on the 20x1-1/8 and 20x1-3/8 sizes in particular, especially at higher
>air pressures. The 1-1/8 is 100# rated; the 1-3/8 states 85#. Have you run the wider tire at higher
>pressures?
>
>TIA

I'm still on my 2d Primo Comet (406). Several thousand miles. No flats. I'll continue to buy and use
them. No brainer. :)

Steve

--
Steve Fox McKinleyville, CA http://members.cox.net/steve.fox Bicycling across America:
http://SoTier2003.crazyguyonabike.com

O \ _____,%) (*)-'------------(*)

98GTW <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'd like to hear thoughts on the 20x1-1/8 and 20x1-3/8 sizes in particular, especially at higher
> air pressures. The 1-1/8 is 100# rated; the 1-3/8 states 85#. Have you run the wider tire at
> higher pressures?
>
> TIA

I ran the 1 3/8" Comets at 100psi with no apparent problems. However, I had many problems with small
glass cuts growing into tire-destroying gashes. I had no more problems after switching to Schwalbe
City Marathons while riding the same bike on the same routes with the same pressure.

This was several years ago- the Comets may have gotten better since then.

Jeff

I use the 1.5" and the 1.35" wide tires for my spitfire trikes. The 1.35" wide tire is rated at 100
PSI and is much lighter than the 1.5" version. However, the 1.35" is a gumwall and like most gumwall
tires they deteriorate quickly by UV light.

Rick Horwitz www.hellbentcycles.com

"98GTW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'd like to hear thoughts on the 20x1-1/8 and 20x1-3/8 sizes in
particular,
> especially at higher air pressures. The 1-1/8 is 100# rated; the 1-3/8 states 85#. Have you run
> the wider tire at higher pressures?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer

I was running 1 3/8" Comets at 105 psi; good for the first couple thousand kms, but then had
constant troubles with flats. Problems were glass cuts, and gashes. Switched to Schwalbe Marathons
front and back; Now I have 9 thousand kms without one flat; I run 95 psi in the Marathons.

Switched Worn and Hook on another bike to Schwalbe Marathons as well.

Rob (V-Rex, Vivo - Wife's ride)

"98GTW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'd like to hear thoughts on the 20x1-1/8 and 20x1-3/8 sizes in
particular,
> especially at higher air pressures. The 1-1/8 is 100# rated; the 1-3/8 states 85#. Have you run
> the wider tire at higher pressures?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer

Originally posted by 98gtw
I'd like to hear thoughts on the 20x1-1/8 and 20x1-3/8 sizes in particular, especially at higher air pressures. The 1-1/8 is 100# rated; the 1-3/8 states 85#.

I assume that you are running a 451 tire being as the way you listed the tire sizes. I ran a 406 with high pressure Primo Comets. It was okay. There was no real traction in dirt or loose gravel.

Depending on what kind of riding you are doing, I would say stick with Stelvios for racing or faster riding.

We have had Comets on two Tailwinds, (running 110lbs.psi) and went to Kevlar Comets for the rears to
prevent cuts....they have done just fine.

jd

"98GTW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'd like to hear thoughts on the 20x1-1/8 and 20x1-3/8 sizes in
particular,
> especially at higher air pressures. The 1-1/8 is 100# rated; the 1-3/8 states 85#. Have you run
> the wider tire at higher pressures?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer

98GTW <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I'd like to hear thoughts on the 20x1-1/8 and 20x1-3/8 sizes in particular, especially at higher
> air pressures. The 1-1/8 is 100# rated; the 1-3/8 states 85#. Have you run the wider tire at
> higher pressures?
>
> TIA

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Here's an additional poser.

I mounted the 20x1-3/8 tires on a new set of wheels (Alex R390 rims). The tires went over the bead
lip very easily and didn't seat evenly all the way around the rim, leading to a bit of up-and-down
from being out of round. I tried one of the 1-1/8 tires as well and it went on and seemed to mis-
seat by about the same amount. I've emailed Alex to ask what tires they recommend with that
particular rim.

Any ideas on alternative tires that might have a slightly smaller bead diameter (which ones have
been difficult to mount?) than the Comets?

--
Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II, Screamer

Dave; I've been using the Kevlar Version 20 x 1 3/8 as a
front tire for quite some time. The one on the Giro has just about 2k miles
(I can let you know for sure, since you know I keep track :). I run mine at
110 pounds. So far no flats. I'll have to go back thru my logs for the
comet on my Vrex, I think I may have had one flat, probably a little less
miles.
You guys got a "press release" for the RARE Rally yet. I know there was a
date set, but there was a great deal of beer involved, so it's pretty hazy.
Looking forward to it
Denny
"Rob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I was running 1 3/8" Comets at 105 psi; good for the first couple
thousand
> kms, but then had constant troubles with flats. Problems were glass cuts, and gashes. Switched to
> Schwalbe Marathons front and back; Now I have 9 thousand kms without one flat; I run 95 psi in the
> Marathons.
>
> Switched Worn and Hook on another bike to Schwalbe Marathons as well.
>
> Rob (V-Rex, Vivo - Wife's ride)
>

> "98GTW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'd like to hear thoughts on the 20x1-1/8 and 20x1-3/8 sizes in
> particular,
> > especially at higher air pressures. The 1-1/8 is 100# rated; the 1-3/8 states 85#. Have you run
> > the wider tire at higher pressures?
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > --
> > Dave 98GTW [email protected] (remove nospam to reply directly) Presto, Presto II,
> > Screamer

For clean roads, Comets are fast tires. If you have a lot of glass bits on the road, something with
more thread like the Schwalbe Marathons seem to work well. Glass bits seem not to get embedded on
the tire as in Comets.

If you have a tire you're happy with right now, stay with it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

J Gaerlan - Gaerlan Custom Cycles http://www.gaerlan.com "home of travel bikes and bike travels"
(415)362-3866: (415)677-8943 fax [email protected]

Originally posted by Jfreewheel
For clean roads, Comets are fast tires. If you have a lot of glass bits on the road, something with more thread like the Schwalbe Marathons seem to work well. Glass bits seem not to get embedded on
the tire as in Comets.

It is funny you mention this. I was watching tv late at night over the weekend and there was an informercial on about a magnetic duster that draw dust to it. I guess that is to make dusting easier.

Someone should market Primo Comets like that. Something like "want your street clear of glass? Us Primo Comets for guaranteed glass pick up every time!"

Personally, I have never seen a tire so prone to glass collection. J Gaerlan is right: Schwalbes are good.

...The tires went over the bead lip very easily and didn't seat evenly all the way around the rim, leading to a bit of up-and-downfrom being out of round....

Isn't this exactly what would happen if you mounted a 20" 451 tire on a 20" 406 rim?

John

jmm wrote:

> Isn't this exactly what would happen if you mounted a 20" 451 tire on a 20" 406 rim?

Given the difference in diameter between a 406 and 451 tyre, I'd be hugely surprised if one could
get any of the bead to seat at all...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/