Road Cycling · Public discussion

Problem with New Bike's Horoscope

Started by Elisa Francesca Roselli · · Last activity · 81 posts · 1,983 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
25 October 2004
Last activity
9 November 2004
Original author
Elisa Francesca Roselli
Posts
81
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,983
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 81
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. OK, I am a Very Superstitious Person. Especially as relates to all
    things bike because this is an area like love, gambling and sea-voyages,
    fraught with uncertainty, hazard and fear, and in the hands of
    capricious gods.

    Lately I have been so afraid of my impending job transfer to a site 10
    kms away from my home (and connected need to commute by bike) that I
    have been losing sleep. My balance is wonkier than usual due to
    anxiety-related hyperventilation. The fear is such that I have developed
    an aversion to my bikes. I ride in a panicky fashion and have problems
    starting in traffic, which of course makes things only more dangerous. I
    assuage myself by "allowing" myself to walk to work. There is no
    enjoyment at all in cycling just now.

    This is not helped by an ad campaign that is being insistently run on
    French TV, in which paraplegics and tetraplegics and people with
    amputations talk about the horrendous road accidents that ruined their
    lives and made them into vegetables. And just to add to the burden of
    synchronicity, I went to see a movie yesterday about the life of Cole
    Porter which dealt, again, with the theme of his riding accident,
    confinement to a wheelchair and leg amputation.

    Everyone I speak to about commuting to work by bike thinks it is a crazy
    idea and that I will be risking my life. There was even an issue as to
    whether my work-insurance would cover me in the event of such an
    accident.

    I also mentioned that I was going to buy a Dahon folding bike of the
    model Impulse P21. Well, I did it. Lovely little bike arrived today and
    is sitting, still packed in its box, next to my desk.

    I was hoping it would arrive today or tomorrow because the transiting
    planets are quite well-placed in relation to my own natal chart.
    However, there are two factors, the Moon placement and the
    Ascendant/House Cusps, which depend on the _exact_ time and place of
    birth and cannot be estimated just on the basis of the day.

    I signed the delivery note for Flyzipper, for such is his name, at 11:55
    am, and am taking that as the time of his "birth".

    To my dismay, the chart cast for that time has the Moon sitting on the
    worst degree of the whole zodiac - under the influence of an evil Fixed
    Star called Scheat which just happens to symbolize extreme danger,
    injury, violent - especially transport related - death, murder, suicide,
    drowning, imprisonment and confinement.

    However illogical it may seem to you, I know I will _NOT_ be able to get
    on a bike with this Moon placement. I freak out at the very thought.

    Moreover, my own natal chart makes everything worse. An exact
    Pluto-Saturn square in the Third and Sixth houses suggests danger from
    transport or some kind of incapacitation of mobility or neurological
    deterioration. I live with that all the time - it is one reason I have
    to get over so much fear in relation to bikes and scooters - but whether
    I bike or not has no effect on the symbolism. I could be run over on the
    sidewalk or develop rheumatoid arthritis. What upsets me especially is
    the combination of symbolisms on my nativity and Flyzipper's.

    But was Flyzipper really "born" when I signed the delivery note? It was
    easy with Myrtille and Behemoth, since they were taken home from the
    place I bought them and the birth time is simply the date-time stamp on
    the sales slip. Since Flyzipper was ordered at distance from an Internet
    dealer in the UK, I don't have such a sales slip.

    I did open the box to make sure the right bike was in it, but as I said,
    the bike is still packed. On the box it says in big letters:

    "Attention"
    "Before your first ride, you must have your bike thoroughly checked and
    adjusted by a professional bicycle technician. This final adjustment
    will activate your warranty and ensure that your bicycle is optimally
    adjusted for safety and performance".

    I phoned the dealers and they said my LBS-man should sign or stamp the
    warranty when he has checked the bike and that this will be acceptable
    as an "activation". I wonder if I can persuade myself that the bike will
    not be "born" until that happens, or until I collect and pay for it
    (presumably the LBS-man will charge a fee for the adjustments,
    especially since I did not buy the bike from him). But every time I try
    that it seems like intellectual dishonesty, cheating.

    I don't suppose anyone else has this kind of problem. But if it does
    mean something to you, when would you consider your bike "born"?

    EFR
    Ile de France

  2. Elisa Francesca Roselli said:

    OK, I am a Very Superstitious Person. Especially as relates to all
    things bike because this is an area like love, gambling and sea-voyages,
    fraught with uncertainty, hazard and fear, and in the hands of
    capricious gods.

    Best not risk it. Send the bike to me and I will adopt and look after
    it for you.

    Tony

  3. "Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    But was Flyzipper really "born" when I signed the delivery note? It was
    easy with Myrtille and Behemoth, since they were taken home from the
    place I bought them and the birth time is simply the date-time stamp on
    the sales slip.

    You're OK. The aluminium, iron, carbon and whatever other atoms make up your
    bike were born in a supernova around 5 billion years ago, before Saturn and
    Pluto existed. So no planets were around for these elements to have a
    horoscope. Same goes for us humans as well, I suppose.
    --
    Simon

  4. in message <[email hidden]>, Elisa Francesca Roselli

    (') said:

    OK, I am a Very Superstitious Person. Especially as relates to all
    things bike because this is an area like love, gambling and
    sea-voyages, fraught with uncertainty, hazard and fear, and in the
    hands of capricious gods.

    Quoted message said:

    I was hoping it would arrive today or tomorrow because the transiting
    planets are quite well-placed in relation to my own natal chart.
    However, there are two factors, the Moon placement and the
    Ascendant/House Cusps, which depend on the _exact_ time and place of
    birth and cannot be estimated just on the basis of the day.

    I signed the delivery note for Flyzipper, for such is his name, at
    11:55 am, and am taking that as the time of his "birth".

    To my dismay, the chart cast for that time has the Moon sitting on the
    worst degree of the whole zodiac - under the influence of an evil
    Fixed Star called Scheat which just happens to symbolize extreme
    danger, injury, violent - especially transport related - death,
    murder, suicide, drowning, imprisonment and confinement.

    Fear not. The bicycle in question was made in China. Consequently it is
    subject only to Chinese horoscopes, and is a Red Cow born in the
    auspicious year of the Green Monkey.

    Furthermore, of course, my own assessment (above) is based on your
    assumption as to the date of birth. My own estimate would put the date
    of birth at least three months earlier, because, of course, Flyzipper
    has spent a good deal of time on a slow boat from China.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; When all else fails, read the distractions.

  5. "Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    But was Flyzipper really "born" when I signed the delivery note? It was
    easy with Myrtille and Behemoth, since they were taken home from the
    place I bought them and the birth time is simply the date-time stamp on
    the sales slip.

    You're OK. The aluminium, iron, carbon and whatever other atoms make up
    your bike were born in a supernova around 5 billion years ago, before
    Saturn and Pluto existed. So no planets were around for these elements to
    have a horoscope. Same goes for us humans as well, I suppose.
    --
    Simon

    I thought it was only the elements heavier than iron, whilst and those below
    iron were in fact created in the star which then supernova'd,and thus you
    can probably add a billion or two years onto that? </pedant>

    --
    Tumbleweed

    email replies not necessary but to contact use;
    tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

  6. Elisa Francesca Roselli said:

    OK, I am a Very Superstitious Person. Especially as relates to all
    things bike because this is an area like love, gambling and sea-voyages,
    fraught with uncertainty, hazard and fear, and in the hands of
    capricious gods.

    You'll be fine - just sacrifice a goat (or a Frenchman... s'near enough)
    at the next full moon.

    Works for me.

    Steve (who only ever mounts from the left side of the bike)

  7. Elisa Francesca Roselli said:


    I don't suppose anyone else has this kind of problem. But if it does
    mean something to you, when would you consider your bike "born"?

    EFR
    Ile de France

    Given what you have said, I'd be inclined to view the 'birth' as the
    point in time that you could (if you so wished) get on and ride it. IE,
    at the point when it's been checked over by the bike shop and
    pronounced the bolts are tight where they're meant to be tight, it's got
    everything on that needs to be on, etc.

    --

    Velvet

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Elisa Francesca Roselli said:

    Lately I have been so afraid of my impending job transfer to a site 10
    kms away from my home (and connected need to commute by bike) that I
    have been losing sleep. My balance is wonkier than usual due to
    anxiety-related hyperventilation. The fear is such that I have developed
    an aversion to my bikes. I ride in a panicky fashion and have problems
    starting in traffic, which of course makes things only more dangerous. I
    assuage myself by "allowing" myself to walk to work. There is no
    enjoyment at all in cycling just now.

    You can & shall ride if you wanna; you don't have to & won't if
    you don't wanna. It's your free choice.

    In the meantime, maybe this might help:
    "Riding Your Spiritual Bicycle"
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/energyhealing/riding.htm

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  9. I took a fortune cookie message that siad, "You are going to have good
    luck," and stuffed in inside my handlebar. Sure enough, I have not had a
    crash or serious mechanical problem since.

  10. Elisa Francesca Roselli said:

    an area like love, gambling and sea-voyages,
    fraught with uncertainty, hazard and fear, and in the hands of
    capricious gods.

    Say what you may, but this young lady writes in Pure Poetry. I always read
    EFR's posts. <smile>

    -B

  11. Elisa Francesca Roselli said:


    Moreover, my own natal chart makes everything worse. An exact
    Pluto-Saturn square in the Third and Sixth houses suggests
    danger from transport or some kind of incapacitation of
    mobility or neurological deterioration. I live with that all
    the time - it is one reason I have to get over so much fear in
    relation to bikes and scooters - but whether I bike or not has
    no effect on the symbolism. I could be run over on the
    sidewalk or develop rheumatoid arthritis. What upsets me
    especially is the combination of symbolisms on my nativity and
    Flyzipper's.


    I've always wondered how astrologers cope when new planets are discovered
    and considering the relative size of pluto and its distance from Earth how
    come they don't take all the asteroids and other minor bodies into account?
    --
    Mark

    1x1 wheel, 3x2 wheels & 1x3 wheels.

  12. "the.Mark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I've always wondered how astrologers cope when new planets are discovered
    and considering the relative size of pluto and its distance from Earth how
    come they don't take all the asteroids and other minor bodies into


    account?

    Astrology was disproved on 13th October 1925.
    Maggie Thatcher and Lenny Bruce were both born that day!

  13. Elisa Francesca Roselli said:

    I don't suppose anyone else has this kind of problem. But if it does
    mean something to you, when would you consider your bike "born"?

    I think you need professional help not a newsgroup!

    James
    --
    If I have seen further than others, it is
    by treading on the toes of giants.
    http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/

  14. Elisa Francesca Roselli said:

    But if it does
    mean something to you, when would you consider your bike "born"?

    EFR
    Ile de France

    It wasn't completely built yet, but when I spun the front wheel and the
    computer display registered the motion... it was a lot like a first
    heartbeat.

    --
    My bike blog:
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

  15. "Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    I also mentioned that I was going to buy a Dahon folding bike of the
    model Impulse P21. Well, I did it. Lovely little bike arrived today and
    is sitting, still packed in its box, next to my desk.

    I was hoping it would arrive today or tomorrow because the transiting
    planets are quite well-placed in relation to my own natal chart.
    However, there are two factors, the Moon placement and the
    Ascendant/House Cusps, which depend on the _exact_ time and place of
    birth and cannot be estimated just on the basis of the day.

    I signed the delivery note for Flyzipper, for such is his name, at 11:55
    am, and am taking that as the time of his "birth".

    Flyzipper, just as with a child, is NOT born until he comes out of the box.
    (figuratively and literally)

    Unlike most children, though, you have the good fortune to be able to choose
    the day.

    Pete

  16. James Annan said:
    Elisa Francesca Roselli said:

    I don't suppose anyone else has this kind of problem. But if it does
    mean something to you, when would you consider your bike "born"?

    I think you need professional help not a newsgroup!

    James

    We are TOO a newsgroup. It says it right above you

    "rec.[censored].misc.anthrope"

    -B
    humph!

  17. Tumbleweed said:

    "Simon Mason" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    But was Flyzipper really "born" when I signed the delivery note? It was
    easy with Myrtille and Behemoth, since they were taken home from the
    place I bought them and the birth time is simply the date-time stamp on
    the sales slip.

    You're OK. The aluminium, iron, carbon and whatever other atoms make up
    your bike were born in a supernova around 5 billion years ago, before
    Saturn and Pluto existed. So no planets were around for these elements to
    have a horoscope. Same goes for us humans as well, I suppose.
    --
    Simon

    I thought it was only the elements heavier than iron, whilst and those below
    iron were in fact created in the star which then supernova'd,and thus you
    can probably add a billion or two years onto that? </pedant>

    You fools! We were all created by God 5 million years ago. He/She just
    made it look like the univers is billions of years old. Believe....

  18. On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:15:48 GMT, "Pete"

    ptr@ThievingBastardsWorkAt_usaf.com said:


    "Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:


    I also mentioned that I was going to buy a Dahon folding bike of the
    model Impulse P21. Well, I did it. Lovely little bike arrived today and
    is sitting, still packed in its box, next to my desk.

    I was hoping it would arrive today or tomorrow because the transiting
    planets are quite well-placed in relation to my own natal chart.
    However, there are two factors, the Moon placement and the
    Ascendant/House Cusps, which depend on the _exact_ time and place of
    birth and cannot be estimated just on the basis of the day.

    I signed the delivery note for Flyzipper, for such is his name, at 11:55
    am, and am taking that as the time of his "birth".

    Flyzipper, just as with a child, is NOT born until he comes out of the box.
    (figuratively and literally)


    .....

    Quoted message said:

    Pete

    Picturing...a bicycle with an 'egg tooth'...lol.

    -B

  19. Elisa Francesca Roselli <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    OK, I am a Very Superstitious Person. Especially as relates to all
    things bike because this is an area like love, gambling and sea-voyages,
    fraught with uncertainty, hazard and fear, and in the hands of
    capricious gods...

    I was in tears reading this. Tears of frustration. This is exactly the
    kind of thread I want... oh well. Someday.

    Sam
    ---
    http://www.freewheelingforum.com


  20. Quoted message said:

    I don't suppose anyone else has this kind of problem. But if it does
    mean something to you, when would you consider your bike "born"?

    EFR
    Ile de France

    Have you asked your psychiatrist?

    I have mulitple personalities and all of them hate work :-)

    Vernon(s)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.