Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Problems with cars

Started by Tristan Bergin · · Last activity · 33 posts · 1,297 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
15 April 2005
Last activity
17 April 2005
Original author
Tristan Bergin
Posts
33
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,297
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–33 of 33
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Peter McCallum said:

    Here in Mackay, we have the opposite, they'll never slow to
    let you move right and make a turn, but I rarely have anyone shout abuse
    or tell me to get off the road.

    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

    Generally the same in Townsville, same rednecks I suppose.
    The shouting ( dont know if its abuse or wot, dopler kills the message) and door thumping stops when uni holidays start and resumes when uni starts again.
    I ride mostly at night so the little dahrlings are on the loose.
    Learnt to drive in Sydney in mid '60s and its still a pleasure to drive there when I go back. Fast, courteous and forgiving if you stuff up lane - stall etc.
    Melbourne ! Definition of a split second - the time between the light turning green and the car behind honking.

    Very soon some of those intolerant drivers will be on bikes because they cant afford $3 lt for fuel.

    Cheers
    Hugh

  2. Peter McCallum said:


    My personal favourite in this genre was when I was cycling home from
    work in Sydney. I'm stopped at the front of the queue at lights when
    this huge semi starts nudging forward towards my back wheel. I moved
    forward a little, he nudges closer alternately accelerating and putting
    on the brakes.

    I lost it and started motioning to him to get out of the cab if he was
    looking for a fight (with every intention of riding off and leaving him
    in my wake if he did).

    All of a sudden a motorist gets out of his car in another lane and walks
    over to the truck. I couldn't believe it. A complete stranger getting
    involved and telling the driver what a jerk he was. This was SYDNEY,
    wasn't it? Well, my regard for the social responsibilty of Sydneysiders
    was restored when I realised that the driver wasn't telling the truckie
    to stop harrassing me, he was merely pointing out that the
    stopping/starting had broken the cables holding down his load of
    newsprint (rolls of newspaper weighing about 1000kg each).

    The truckie then lost interest in me. I spent the next minute or so
    riding around his vehicle laughing. It was total justice.

    Peter

    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

    bwahahahahahahahahahahahahah 😄😄😄😄😄😄

    F"position, position. then blamo!"(hopefully 🙄 )"Dutch

  3. "Peter McCallum" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    hippy said:

    http://thehippy.net/nucleus/index.php?itemid=287

    Yeah, I had the same experience riding with my son, two abreast on a
    Sunday morning, multi-lane road, hardly any traffic, get a blast from
    some idiot behind us who couldn't be bothered changing lanes to pass. He
    eventually passed us and then stopped at the red light about 100 metres
    ahead.

    I rode up beside him and said that we had a right to ride on the road
    and two abreast. I expected some sort of angry response but his wife
    launched into him from the passenger seat, "I just told him that" she
    says. I'll bet he copped it all the way home, well here's hoping anyway.

    Peter
    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

    I was riding in a single lane each way shopping area of a street, starting
    my commute to work, when a BMW drags around me, veers at an angle into the
    kerb in front of me, and the driver (looking like some young executive)
    starts screaming at me for *being* on the road. I had been riding only about
    a foot from the kerb. Unfortunately all those things I should have done,
    such as note down his rego and reported him, only come later.

    Henry.

  4. <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>> "Andrew" == Andrew Reddaway <[email hidden]> writes:

    Andrew> What works for me is behaving as a vehicle almost all the
    Andrew> time, good positioning on the road (taking the lane when
    Andrew> appropriate), indicating and otherwise being predictable,
    Andrew> looking behind, eye contact and generally fitting in with
    Andrew> the rest of the traffic. At lights in busy traffic, I tend
    Andrew> to wait in the queue of cars rather than squeeze
    Andrew> between/beside them. With practice, I've got a lot better
    Andrew> at anticipating the dangerous situations and finding ways to
    Andrew> avoid them. Nothing's 100% though!

    I've found that's the key. Play by the rules of the road and you get a
    lot more respect. Yes there will still be [censored] heads, there always will
    be, but riding like a vehicle and not like you're in a peleton goes a
    long way.
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

    That may well be why I've had very little grief on the road. I did get a
    "...f thuh [censored]' roa....!" on Friday from an AU Falcon going the other
    way. Not entirely unexpected in the middle of Footscray at 11pm on a Friday
    night though (coming fhome from a late shift). Mostly I get next to no grief
    at all. I do find myself wondering about cyclists who say they get hassled
    nearly daily, because I certainly don't.

  5. "flyingdutch" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Andrew Reddaway said:

    <snip>
    he said "Can't you take a joke mate?" I just said "you passed me very
    close back there". That was about it. He wasn't aggressive at all,
    probably just trying to impress his girlfriend in the passenger side -
    don't know what she thought of it.

    hindsight being a wonderful thing, the best retort is one that not only
    emabarrasses em but shuts em up too, like...

    "Well, obviously she can judging by the size of your [censored]".

    Once had a guy so determined to fang past me at lights, as i waved my
    little finger at him to reflect his endowment, that he was so busy
    glaring at me in rearview mirror as i inevitably passed him again down
    the road, that he rear-ended the car in front! 😄😄😄
    Didnt stop to smile and gloat.
    MUCH! bwahahahahahahah

    F"justice serves those who remain calm"Dutch

    --
    flyingdutch

    I've had drivers come very close to doing that with no more provocation than
    the fact that they couldn't POSSIBLY be overtaken by a cyclist. "What the..a
    bloody BIKE just overtook me! I must be going slow!"
    *accelerates*
    "FARRRRK!"
    *SCREEEE*

    Always good for a giggle.

  6. <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >>> "Buck" == Buck Rogers <[email hidden]> writes:

    Buck> On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:47:02 +0800, Tristan Bergin

    Buck> My opinion is that the roads belong to cars and larger
    Buck> vehicles. Anyone who wants to prove that's not the case, or
    Buck> try assert themselves can live with the danger, stress and
    Buck> abuse that comes with it. That's a personal choice.

    What stress? I suffer way more stress in a car on the roads than I ever
    do on a bike. I don't have to worry about speed limits, traffic jams
    and the like. I get loads of exercise which lowers stress even more and
    I have fun.

    There's no point worrying if someone's going to hit you from behind,
    there's nothing that can come of such worrying so put it your mind and
    enjoy. I do, every single day :-)
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

    Heh...sounds like you and I have a very similar approach to the whole
    exercise. You do get the occasional git which does get me [censored], but
    there will always be idiots in this world. I get a better woekout when that
    happens too. For some reason I ride a LOT faster when I get a fright. Must
    be the adrenaline.

  7. Resound said:

    I do find myself wondering about cyclists who say they get hassled
    nearly daily, because I certainly don't.

    Don't. It can vary depending on WHERE you ride and a what TIME you ride.

    I know places where I can almost guarantee abuse and others where I
    would be shocked to hear it. Unfortunately I can not always ride in the
    later all the time.

  8. John Tserkezis said:

    Peter McCallum wrote:

    (snip)

    Quoted message said:

    None of those things would have been achieved if
    people didn't stand up and be counted.

    Ok, you've twisted my arm. I'll keep a voice recorder strapped to me, and
    I'll take notes as I go along.

    I just use my mobile phone.

    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  9. flyingdutch said:


    Andrew Reddaway said:

    <snip>
    he said "Can't you take a joke mate?" I just said "you passed me
    very close back there". That was about it. He wasn't aggressive
    at all, probably just trying to impress his girlfriend in the
    passenger side - don't know what she thought of it.

    hindsight being a wonderful thing, the best retort is one that not
    only emabarrasses em but shuts em up too, like...

    "Well, obviously she can judging by the size of your [censored]".

    Once had a guy so determined to fang past me at lights, as i waved my
    little finger at him to reflect his endowment, that he was so busy
    glaring at me in rearview mirror as i inevitably passed him again down
    the road, that he rear-ended the car in front! 😄😄😄
    Didnt stop to smile and gloat.
    MUCH! bwahahahahahahah

    F"justice serves those who remain calm"Dutch

    Hehe! I like that one about taking a joke!

  10. NoZX6R wrote:

    SNIP

    Quoted message said:


    yeah what he said.

    The other key is to expect bad driving. Once your expectations are
    sufficiently low, you won't get stressed by others' bad behaviour.

    Good point. There's no value in being "right" but injured.

    The bad driving that I'm most watchful of is drivers crossing my path
    ahead of me, from side streets etc. I ride out from the kerb and
    pedal, even if I'm not applying any force, so they get the message that
    I'm fast. Being down in the drops probably helps to give them the idea
    too :-) If I've got any suspicion that they may cut me off (eg their
    head is turned the other way, or I've got the sun low behind me), then
    I'm on the brakes to avoid a nasty incident.

  11. Peter McCallum said:
    Quoted message said:

    Ok, you've twisted my arm. I'll keep a voice recorder strapped to me, and
    I'll take notes as I go along.

    Quoted message said:

    I just use my mobile phone.

    Aside from the legalities of that being a little 'vague', I do not posses the
    thumb speed and dexterity of a teenage female P-Plater.

    One button operation on a voice recorder is faster, easier, AND I don't have
    to take my eyes off the road.
    --
    Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org>

  12. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> "John" == John Tserkezis <[email hidden]> writes:

    John> Aside from the legalities of that being a little 'vague', I
    John> do not posses the thumb speed and dexterity of a teenage
    John> female P-Plater.

    John> One button operation on a voice recorder is faster, easier,
    John> AND I don't have to take my eyes off the road.

    My phone comes with a voice recorder which I can activate by voice.
    Very handy :-)
    --
    Cheers
    Euan

  13. Chris Baird said:
    Quoted message said:

    I know places where I can almost guarantee abuse and others where I
    would be shocked to hear it.

    Definite: Friday/Saturday evenings
    Rare: before 12pm, when the P-platers are still in bed

    I'd clarify that and say 9-12. Apprentices struggling to pay off their
    SS Utes are frequently spotted from 6am onwards. Typically though, it's
    NOT the P-Platers that hand out the grief in the morning, more so the
    sour old [censored] who've inhaled too many paint thinners..

    hippy
    - driving a black Commodore ute today fellas, LOOK OUT! 😄

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.