tholub said:Related question: can you get replacement Profile bolts which have a
more realistic allen key size? A good 6mm would be a lot better than
the one that comes on there.
Yes and no. As far as I know, the profile hub uses american threads
(hence the Imperial spec. bolt) unless they are little punks and use a
metric thread bolt with american keys. This would have to be custom
made... Anyways, you can find bolts of that type in some catalogues.
Check what the thread dia. and pitch is... I think it's 5/16 NF, but
I'm not sure (NF=national fine). Then check in either a well stocked
hardware store or check MSC Industrial, Enco (use-enco.com) or
mcmaster-carr for the correct fasteners. Regardless, so long as you can
get more of those cone washers, the bolts should NOT be $16. I would
guess around $4 a pop, max.
You're not going to find 6mm bolt with an american thread on it. You
could buy one oversize and machine it down to the correct bolt, but
this is a waste of time.
The anti-seize is to keep the bolt from seizing, not to help retain it.
It's not going to keep your bolts from falling out. The other use of
the anti-seize is to help you get the bolts tighter, because it means
less turning force goes to overcoming friction.
Here's a trick I use in my shop and on my hub for getting bolts tight:
Find an allen key with only one purpose; to tighten these bolts. Chop
it down such that there's almost none fo the short end of the L left,
just enough that it fully engages the allen bolt head. Now use it, and
always remember to fully insert it. When you need it super tight, you
have two choices: Put your wheel up against a wall, and stand ont he
wrench. I do that, adding a few "stomps" to get it super tight. The
other way is to use what's known as a cheater bar. Take a piece of pipe
(1/2" is good) and put it on the allen key. Now you have a much better
lever to torque it down with. Please, don't combine these two methods,
as it will easily strip the bolt (or hub, however more likely the bolt,
since the hub is hardened chromoly and the bolt's just mild steel).
I get the feeling the reason profile uses bolts with such small heads
is they don't want dumbass bike mechanics stripping stuff, however if u
look at the regular bolts they are gigantic hex heads. BTW, I make no
guarantee that profile will be willing to warranty a stripped axle if
you use one of the methods I described. Many a fools have broken vises
using cheater bars, and stripping a 5/6" NF thread with a 12" cheater
bar is not unheard of.
Whew, long post, hope some of it helps.
--
gerblefranklin
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Trials-Muni
Nick's main man.
"I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex
------------------------------------------------------------------------
gerblefranklin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4295
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/41209