Pros prefer sewups

Mike Krueger

Guest
Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of the European
pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for the naysayers...

Mike Krueger wrote:

> Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of the European
> pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for the naysayers...

Those pros don't have to glue and mount their own tires. All they
have to do is ride what they're given. I suspect most of them train
on clinchers.

Mike Krueger writes:

> Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of the
> European pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for the
> naysayers...

Are you sure? How did he determine that that is the case? A few
years back, I noticed that most of the riders in the Tour d'Suisse
were on clinchers. I assumed these same riders would probably ride
the same in other classics.

I am a bit leery about quoting famous race announcers on technical
facts after enjoying the colorful reportage of Phil Liggett over the
years. He laces his otherwise entertaining accounts with much myth
and lore.

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

[email protected] wrote:

> Are you sure? How did he determine that that is the case? A few
> years back, I noticed that most of the riders in the Tour d'Suisse
> were on clinchers. I assumed these same riders would probably ride
> the same in other classics.

I have no idea if it's true, but the Finnish commentator on Eurosport
some days ago said that most of the Italian teams and riders still ride
on tubulars. I interpreted him as if the Italians are an exception to
the rule in this regard. The commentator is generally quite knowledgeable
about cycling, so I take that as the truth until proven otherwise.

-as

"Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of the

European
> pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for the naysayers...

Pros should have to worry about the cost and setup of their tires - so
obviously they would ride on tubulars. The only case where they would not
is where his tire sponsor does not make tubulars. Even then, pro teams lie
about what they really use. They stick some of their sponsors tire labels
over a competitors tubulars.

"Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of
>> the European pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for
>> the naysayers...

> Pros should have to worry about the cost and setup of their tires -
> so obviously they would ride on tubulars. The only case where they
> would not is where his tire sponsor does not make tubulars. Even
> then, pro teams lie about what they really use. They stick some of
> their sponsors tire labels over a competitors tubulars.

The trend towards colored tires makes that difficult.

[email protected] (Mike Krueger) writes:

> Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of the
> European pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for the
> naysayers...

Hey, if you like 'em and can afford 'em, ride 'em. More power to ya.
But don't lie to me like this. Unless Sherwen has gone out and
counted tubulars and clinchers and then done the math, he's blowing
smoke out his ass.

If you want a research project, take a look at all the pro team Web
sites and check the tire sponsor. Let us know what you find. If 80%
are verifiably riding tubulars, tell us; if it's 25%, tell us that.
If you're too lazy, then why not just shut up about your antiquated
technology?

[email protected] (Mike Krueger) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of the European
> pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for the naysayers...

Italians are such traditionalist anyway.

I wondor how much confidence Joseba Beloki has in a god set of tubulars?

In article <[email protected]>,
Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > "Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of
> >> the European pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for
> >> the naysayers...

> > Pros should have to worry about the cost and setup of their tires -
> > so obviously they would ride on tubulars. The only case where they
> > would not is where his tire sponsor does not make tubulars. Even
> > then, pro teams lie about what they really use. They stick some of
> > their sponsors tire labels over a competitors tubulars.

> The trend towards colored tires makes that difficult.

And the trend towards not even trying to disguise sponsor-fudging makes
it easy.

The secret is to put the sponsor logo in big bright letters, and hope
that in the winner's photo it shows up more prominently than the dubious
equipment. Featured on this page are shots of T-Mobile riders flagrantly
fudging sponsorage:

http://www.campyonly.com/rumors.html

Behold the Shimano, er, Record Titanium front derailleur:

http://www.campyonly.com/images/rumors/2004/t-m2.jpg

If you don't recall Shimano offering a carbon fibre brifteur, that's
because they don't:

http://www.campyonly.com/images/rumors/2004/t-m1.jpg

I'm far too cheap to spend money on equipment (you think I'm joking,
right? Dave knows that I did all my early-season races with someone
else's cast-off tire on the back of my bike. I think I did pay C$20 for
my front, though) so I ride clinchers. But the pros not only have the
luxury of generous tire budgets, they also have cars following them
around with complete wheels and bikes in case they get a flat.

But I carry no brief for this debate. I use clinchers because they're
cheap and they're not stopping me from winning races.

My lackluster training, now that's stopping me...

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

Mike Krueger wrote:

> Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of the European
> pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for the naysayers...

And why not? Someone else has to do all the hard work of mounting them
and repairing them (or paying for new ones) and they don't make the
riders carry their own spares these days. They're too much hassle for
99.9% of amateur riders though.

skubanut-<< Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of
the European
pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for the naysayers...
>><BR><BR>

Every year I ask the people at BikeMine(Vittoria/Conti distributors in the US)
what they say are the numbers from the three major tours and the big Euro races
and the ratios at the Giro are pretty normal, have been for years. The Pros
like the 'feel', the light weight of some of the carbon tubie rims and like the
idea that a flat won't mean the tire comes off.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Jobst-<< Are you sure? How did he determine that that is the case? >><BR><BR>

C'mon Jobst, it's not too much of a stretch to imagine Euro Pros, with the team
support they have, would want the ride of tubulars. Why not? There certainly
aren't any disadvantages to them, since they don't service their wheels. And I
think 'many' advantages.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

On Fri, 21 May 2004 13:11:15 -0700, Terry Morse <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Mike Krueger wrote:
>
>> Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of the European
>> pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for the naysayers...

>Those pros don't have to glue and mount their own tires. All they
>have to do is ride what they're given. I suspect most of them train
>on clinchers.

Which is exactly what Sherwen said.

>[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) Writes:

>C'mon Jobst, it's not too much of a stretch to imagine Euro Pros, with the
>teamsupport they have, would want the ride of tubulars. Why not? There
>certainlyaren't any disadvantages to them, since they don't service their
>wheels. And Ithink 'many' advantages. Peter Chisholm Vecchio's
>Bicicletteria1833 Pearl St.Boulder, CO,

True. And the Euro Pros probably never touch their brakes on those long
descents in the mountains. They don't have to worry about heating up their rim
glue and rolling off a tubular in a corner. Not that I've ever done that but I
always worried about it. Like most non - pro riders, I've sold all my tubular
wheels.

Evan Evans wrote:

> I wondor how much confidence Joseba Beloki has in a god set of tubulars?

Tires from Heaven?

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

VCopeland-<< but I
always worried about it. Like most non - pro riders, I've sold all my tubular
wheels. >><BR><BR>

Whatever blows yer skirt up. I see no compelling reason to switch from tubies
to clinchers on my Merckx.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

>[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) Writes:

>VCopeland-<< but I
>always worried about it. Like most non - pro riders, I've sold all my tubular
>wheels. >>
>
>Whatever blows yer skirt up. I see no compelling reason to switch from
>tubiesto clinchers on my Merckx.

Tubiesto clinchers?

VCopelan wrote:
>>[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) Writes:

>>VCopeland-<< but I
>>always worried about it. Like most non - pro riders, I've sold all my tubular
>>wheels. >>
>>
>>Whatever blows yer skirt up. I see no compelling reason to switch from
>>tubiesto clinchers on my Merckx.

> Tubiesto clinchers?

"tubies to clinchers" would be the correct understanding. As a
decidedly recreational rider these days, I must say that I also prefer
to run tubies on my bikes, and seem to get as good of results flat-wise
as I ever did with clinchers. I will add that I am building a set of
clinchers for my "go fast" Bianchi - up to this point I only ran tubies
on that sled. But, I am mainly doing this for very early / late in the
season when conditions may warrant larger tire sizes. THat is one
advantage to clinchers, I guess, as I have NEVER changed a tubular tire
simply because I wanted a different tire size.

On Sat, 22 May 2004 11:16:34 -0500, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> may have said:

>Evan Evans wrote:

>> I wondor how much confidence Joseba Beloki has in a god set of tubulars?

>Tires from Heaven?

Tires that will send you there, or cause other act-of-god events.

On 23 May 2004 16:41:42 GMT, [email protected] (VCopelan) may have
said:

>>[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) Writes:

>>VCopeland-<< but I
>>always worried about it. Like most non - pro riders, I've sold all my tubular
>>wheels. >>
>>
>>Whatever blows yer skirt up. I see no compelling reason to switch from
>>tubiesto clinchers on my Merckx.

> Tubiesto clinchers?

It's a top-secret Italian-bikes-only brand, you have to be fluent in
Campagnese before they'll even admit to you that they make tires.