Pros prefer sewups

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike Krueger, May 21, 2004.

  1. Mike Krueger

    Mike Krueger Guest

    Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of the European
    pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for the naysayers...

    Tags:

  2. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Mike Krueger wrote:

    > Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of the European
    > pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for the naysayers...

    Those pros don't have to glue and mount their own tires. All they
    have to do is ride what they're given. I suspect most of them train
    on clinchers.

  3. Mike Krueger writes:

    > Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of the
    > European pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for the
    > naysayers...

    Are you sure? How did he determine that that is the case? A few
    years back, I noticed that most of the riders in the Tour d'Suisse
    were on clinchers. I assumed these same riders would probably ride
    the same in other classics.

    I am a bit leery about quoting famous race announcers on technical
    facts after enjoying the colorful reportage of Phil Liggett over the
    years. He laces his otherwise entertaining accounts with much myth
    and lore.

    Jobst Brandt
    [email protected]

  4. [email protected] wrote:

    > Are you sure? How did he determine that that is the case? A few
    > years back, I noticed that most of the riders in the Tour d'Suisse
    > were on clinchers. I assumed these same riders would probably ride
    > the same in other classics.

    I have no idea if it's true, but the Finnish commentator on Eurosport
    some days ago said that most of the Italian teams and riders still ride
    on tubulars. I interpreted him as if the Italians are an exception to
    the rule in this regard. The commentator is generally quite knowledgeable
    about cycling, so I take that as the truth until proven otherwise.

    -as

  5. Dave Mayer

    Dave Mayer Guest

    "Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of the

    European
    > pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for the naysayers...

    Pros should have to worry about the cost and setup of their tires - so
    obviously they would ride on tubulars. The only case where they would not
    is where his tire sponsor does not make tubulars. Even then, pro teams lie
    about what they really use. They stick some of their sponsors tire labels
    over a competitors tubulars.

  6. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    "Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> writes:

    > "Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of
    >> the European pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for
    >> the naysayers...

    > Pros should have to worry about the cost and setup of their tires -
    > so obviously they would ride on tubulars. The only case where they
    > would not is where his tire sponsor does not make tubulars. Even
    > then, pro teams lie about what they really use. They stick some of
    > their sponsors tire labels over a competitors tubulars.

    The trend towards colored tires makes that difficult.

  7. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    [email protected] (Mike Krueger) writes:

    > Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of the
    > European pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for the
    > naysayers...

    Hey, if you like 'em and can afford 'em, ride 'em. More power to ya.
    But don't lie to me like this. Unless Sherwen has gone out and
    counted tubulars and clinchers and then done the math, he's blowing
    smoke out his ass.

    If you want a research project, take a look at all the pro team Web
    sites and check the tire sponsor. Let us know what you find. If 80%
    are verifiably riding tubulars, tell us; if it's 25%, tell us that.
    If you're too lazy, then why not just shut up about your antiquated
    technology?

  8. Evan Evans

    Evan Evans Guest

    [email protected] (Mike Krueger) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of the European
    > pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for the naysayers...

    Italians are such traditionalist anyway.

    I wondor how much confidence Joseba Beloki has in a god set of tubulars?

  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Dave Mayer" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > > "Mike Krueger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >> Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of
    > >> the European pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for
    > >> the naysayers...

    > > Pros should have to worry about the cost and setup of their tires -
    > > so obviously they would ride on tubulars. The only case where they
    > > would not is where his tire sponsor does not make tubulars. Even
    > > then, pro teams lie about what they really use. They stick some of
    > > their sponsors tire labels over a competitors tubulars.

    > The trend towards colored tires makes that difficult.

    And the trend towards not even trying to disguise sponsor-fudging makes
    it easy.

    The secret is to put the sponsor logo in big bright letters, and hope
    that in the winner's photo it shows up more prominently than the dubious
    equipment. Featured on this page are shots of T-Mobile riders flagrantly
    fudging sponsorage:

    http://www.campyonly.com/rumors.html

    Behold the Shimano, er, Record Titanium front derailleur:

    http://www.campyonly.com/images/rumors/2004/t-m2.jpg

    If you don't recall Shimano offering a carbon fibre brifteur, that's
    because they don't:

    http://www.campyonly.com/images/rumors/2004/t-m1.jpg

    I'm far too cheap to spend money on equipment (you think I'm joking,
    right? Dave knows that I did all my early-season races with someone
    else's cast-off tire on the back of my bike. I think I did pay C$20 for
    my front, though) so I ride clinchers. But the pros not only have the
    luxury of generous tire budgets, they also have cars following them
    around with complete wheels and bikes in case they get a flat.

    But I carry no brief for this debate. I use clinchers because they're
    cheap and they're not stopping me from winning races.

    My lackluster training, now that's stopping me...

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/
    President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  10. Mike Krueger wrote:

    > Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of the European
    > pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for the naysayers...

    And why not? Someone else has to do all the hard work of mounting them
    and repairing them (or paying for new ones) and they don't make the
    riders carry their own spares these days. They're too much hassle for
    99.9% of amateur riders though.

  11. skubanut-<< Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of
    the European
    pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for the naysayers...
    >><BR><BR>

    Every year I ask the people at BikeMine(Vittoria/Conti distributors in the US)
    what they say are the numbers from the three major tours and the big Euro races
    and the ratios at the Giro are pretty normal, have been for years. The Pros
    like the 'feel', the light weight of some of the carbon tubie rims and like the
    idea that a flat won't mean the tire comes off.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  12. Jobst-<< Are you sure? How did he determine that that is the case? >><BR><BR>

    C'mon Jobst, it's not too much of a stretch to imagine Euro Pros, with the team
    support they have, would want the ride of tubulars. Why not? There certainly
    aren't any disadvantages to them, since they don't service their wheels. And I
    think 'many' advantages.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  13. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 13:11:15 -0700, Terry Morse <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Mike Krueger wrote:
    >
    >> Paul Sherwen, on today's Giro TV broadcast, observed that 80% of the European
    >> pro peloton still races on tubular tires. So much for the naysayers...

    >Those pros don't have to glue and mount their own tires. All they
    >have to do is ride what they're given. I suspect most of them train
    >on clinchers.

    Which is exactly what Sherwen said.

  14. VCopelan

    VCopelan Guest

    >[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) Writes:

    >C'mon Jobst, it's not too much of a stretch to imagine Euro Pros, with the
    >teamsupport they have, would want the ride of tubulars. Why not? There
    >certainlyaren't any disadvantages to them, since they don't service their
    >wheels. And Ithink 'many' advantages. Peter Chisholm Vecchio's
    >Bicicletteria1833 Pearl St.Boulder, CO,

    True. And the Euro Pros probably never touch their brakes on those long
    descents in the mountains. They don't have to worry about heating up their rim
    glue and rolling off a tubular in a corner. Not that I've ever done that but I
    always worried about it. Like most non - pro riders, I've sold all my tubular
    wheels.

  15. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Evan Evans wrote:

    > I wondor how much confidence Joseba Beloki has in a god set of tubulars?

    Tires from Heaven?

    --
    Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

  16. VCopeland-<< but I
    always worried about it. Like most non - pro riders, I've sold all my tubular
    wheels. >><BR><BR>

    Whatever blows yer skirt up. I see no compelling reason to switch from tubies
    to clinchers on my Merckx.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  17. VCopelan

    VCopelan Guest

    >[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) Writes:

    >VCopeland-<< but I
    >always worried about it. Like most non - pro riders, I've sold all my tubular
    >wheels. >>
    >
    >Whatever blows yer skirt up. I see no compelling reason to switch from
    >tubiesto clinchers on my Merckx.

    Tubiesto clinchers?

  18. Craig Young

    Craig Young Guest

    VCopelan wrote:
    >>[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) Writes:

    >>VCopeland-<< but I
    >>always worried about it. Like most non - pro riders, I've sold all my tubular
    >>wheels. >>
    >>
    >>Whatever blows yer skirt up. I see no compelling reason to switch from
    >>tubiesto clinchers on my Merckx.

    > Tubiesto clinchers?

    "tubies to clinchers" would be the correct understanding. As a
    decidedly recreational rider these days, I must say that I also prefer
    to run tubies on my bikes, and seem to get as good of results flat-wise
    as I ever did with clinchers. I will add that I am building a set of
    clinchers for my "go fast" Bianchi - up to this point I only ran tubies
    on that sled. But, I am mainly doing this for very early / late in the
    season when conditions may warrant larger tire sizes. THat is one
    advantage to clinchers, I guess, as I have NEVER changed a tubular tire
    simply because I wanted a different tire size.

  19. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Sat, 22 May 2004 11:16:34 -0500, Tom Sherman
    <[email protected]> may have said:

    >Evan Evans wrote:

    >> I wondor how much confidence Joseba Beloki has in a god set of tubulars?

    >Tires from Heaven?

    Tires that will send you there, or cause other act-of-god events.

  20. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 23 May 2004 16:41:42 GMT, [email protected] (VCopelan) may have
    said:

    >>[email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) Writes:

    >>VCopeland-<< but I
    >>always worried about it. Like most non - pro riders, I've sold all my tubular
    >>wheels. >>
    >>
    >>Whatever blows yer skirt up. I see no compelling reason to switch from
    >>tubiesto clinchers on my Merckx.

    > Tubiesto clinchers?

    It's a top-secret Italian-bikes-only brand, you have to be fluent in
    Campagnese before they'll even admit to you that they make tires.