Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

prostate problems and road bikes

Started by Greg · · Last activity · 26 posts · 1,217 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
11 April 2006
Last activity
18 April 2006
Original author
Greg
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,217
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–26 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (PeteCresswell) said:

    Per Derk:

    Quoted message said:

    It's an inflammation of the prostate and it's cause can be either
    bacterial or unknown. If it's bacterial, you're lucky, because it
    can be treated with anti-biotics. therefore it's very important to
    have it diagnosed. If you are not lucky , it will go on gor ages and
    every time you think you got rid of it, it will come back.

    If it were me, I'd do a course of prostate-specific antibiotic no
    matter what. The uro doesn't know whether it's an infection or not.
    He can guess...and maybe he'll be right most of the time - but what
    percentage accuracy can he claim? Does anybody even know what the
    average doc's percentages are? They'd have to record the guess and
    then biopsy the patient - and do that on a few hundred patients for
    each doctor and do it over for some statistically significant number
    of doctors..... I don't think so.

    Your doc can easily check for bacterial infections of the prostate.
    There's a fairly unpleasant technique for getting a sample that involves
    no needles (biopsy is only necessary if prostate cancer is being ruled
    out) but does involve "the position" and a rubber glove...

  2. (PeteCresswell) said:

    If it were me, I'd do a course of prostate-specific antibiotic no matter
    what.


    That's dumb, since this is the way to create resistent bacteria in the
    future. There's no need to take them if they're no pathogenic bacteria
    present.

    Quoted message said:

    The uro doesn't know whether it's an infection or not. He can
    guess...and maybe he'll be right most of the time - but what percentage
    accuracy can he claim?


    Of course he does and this is the ways he knows it: (and this is no fun
    either) the urologists massages your prostate with a finger to get some
    fluid out, which is then examined in the lab for presence of bacteria.

    Quoted message said:

    As I (who has no medical training/experience whatsoever) understand it,
    part of the problem with prostate infections is that the longer they go
    on, the more of that spongy glandular tissue gets bacteria in it.


    No, there is 50% chance there won't be bacteria.

    Gr, Derk

  3. Tim McNamara said:

    Your doc can easily check for bacterial infections of the prostate.
    There's a fairly unpleasant technique for getting a sample that involves
    no needles (biopsy is only necessary if prostate cancer is being ruled
    out) but does involve "the position" and a rubber glove...


    yep. But it can be worse: I was told by the urologist that they sometimes
    would use the following technique, that most men refuse: a (big) echo
    device is inserted and then they can see an image of the prostate on a
    monitor. They seem to do this mostly to examine enlarged prostates, but for
    100% certainty they also like do this for examining prostatitis. I also
    said "no thanks" to this btw.

    Prostatitis is a very nasty thing that takes ages to cure if the cause isn't
    bacterial. Since you have nothing to lose as a patient, I would take my
    bike, ride to the market and stuff loads of broccoli in the bike-bags :-)

    To th eoriginal poster: it could of course be a coincidence that prostate
    pain begins after riding a new saddle. It looks like there's a relationship
    when 2 things coincide, but it doesnt have to be that way.

    Gr, Derk

  4. Per Tim McNamara:

    Quoted message said:

    Your doc can easily check for bacterial infections of the prostate.
    There's a fairly unpleasant technique for getting a sample that involves
    no needles (biopsy is only necessary if prostate cancer is being ruled
    out) but does involve "the position" and a rubber glove...

    Been there, done that. Better than a guess, but if it's negative it still
    doesn't mean there is no infection - my conclusion, at least from repeated
    situations where it was negative but a course of antibiotic stopped the pain.
    It's happened too often to be a placebo effect.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  5. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:

    I normally ride a TREK carbon fiber bike with Koobi saddle with
    cutout, and have never had problems with numbness. Lately, I have been
    riding a Litespeed (more stiff), and have had slight pain, and I have
    been messing around with different saddles and position. On Sunday, I
    took out my hybrid, more upright position and a squishy seat, and
    rode it 2 hrs like a road bke. Now I think I have hurt the prostate.
    It's not numbness, it's a low level burning sensation down there, and
    it's been there for 48 hrs. Urologists call it referal pain. I am
    going to the urologist Monday, but I'm afraid he will tell me to quit
    riding. I'm 52 yrs old, and ride about 150 miles a week on the road
    bike. I don't think it's as simple as a perinial artery problem. Any
    ideas? Anybody else struggle with this? Any good saddles that don't
    pressure the prostate?

    That you have had no problems riding your Trek means that you are having
    some fit issues with the other bikes. Best bet is to get the same saddle
    on all your bikes and adjust the to have the same height and tilt.
    ---------------
    Alex

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    I would suggest Castration. There will be no more problems "down
    there". You will be able to focus better.

    Is your focus better now?
    -------------
    Alex

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.