Psychological Profiling of Cyclists

dannyfrankszzz

New Member
Mar 8, 2003
I was wondering if there is a certain type of psychological profile that fits cyclists.

I was reading something about one of the UK cyclists on the UK Olympic team and how his main driving force to be a cyclist was because of frustration.

Some of the top professional cyclists just seem like your typical glamour playboy types.

dannyfrankszzz wrote:
> I was wondering if there is a certain type of psychological profile that
> fits cyclists.

This sounds strangely familiar...

Here's another thought for you to consider:
Cycling is an intrinsically gay sport.

I was pondering this while out on my bike yesterday, and the more I
thought about it, the more I thought similarities I found between
cyclists and gay men.

I'm not saying that all cyclists are gay - I know I'm not for a start.
And I know certain sports have homoerotic elements but that's not what
I'm talking about either.

What I'm getting at is the level of preening and exhibitionism that goes
with cycling. Road racing is necessarily something you do in public, in
full view of the world, and appearance is a very important
consideration. All that leg-shaving and wearing of lycra in carefully
co-ordinated colour schemes, for example. And cyclists are always
admiring or sneering at each other's bikes. It's all /extremely/ camp.

> Some of the top professional cyclists just seem like your typical
> glamour playboy types.

Poofs, the lot of 'em.

d.

PS in case it needs saying, none of the above is in any way even
slightly serious.

"davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> dannyfrankszzz wrote:
> > I was wondering if there is a certain type of psychological profile that
> > fits cyclists.

> This sounds strangely familiar...
>
> Here's another thought for you to consider:
> Cycling is an intrinsically gay sport.

Well that's the biggest load of bollocks I've read today.

gay - my ****!!

> gay - my ****!!

There are probably more suitable places on the net to request those sort of
services.

davek wrote:
> dannyfrankszzz wrote:
>> I was wondering if there is a certain type of psychological profile
>> that fits cyclists.

> This sounds strangely familiar...
>
> Here's another thought for you to consider:
> Cycling is an intrinsically gay sport.
>
> I was pondering this while out on my bike yesterday, and the more I
> thought about it, the more I thought similarities I found between
> cyclists and gay men.
>
> I'm not saying that all cyclists are gay - I know I'm not for a start.
> And I know certain sports have homoerotic elements but that's not what
> I'm talking about either.
>
> What I'm getting at is the level of preening and exhibitionism that
> goes with cycling. Road racing is necessarily something you do in
> public, in full view of the world, and appearance is a very important
> consideration. All that leg-shaving and wearing of lycra in carefully
> co-ordinated colour schemes, for example. And cyclists are always
> admiring or sneering at each other's bikes. It's all /extremely/ camp.
>
>> Some of the top professional cyclists just seem like your typical
>> glamour playboy types.

> Poofs, the lot of 'em.
>
> d.
>
> PS in case it needs saying, none of the above is in any way even
> slightly serious.

Point taken. But this is true of all sports (apart from darts).

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:25:06 +1000 someone who may be dannyfrankszzz
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I was wondering if there is a certain type of psychological profile that
>fits cyclists.

Rather unlikely. Mrs Goggins cycling to the library is likely to be
very different to someone taking part in track cycling in the
Olympics.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

davek wrote:

> Here's another thought for you to consider:
> Cycling is an intrinsically gay sport.
>
> I was pondering this while out on my bike yesterday, and the more I
> thought about it, the more I thought similarities I found between
> cyclists and gay men.

That's the first time in a long time I've seen the word gay used in its
original sense.

> I'm not saying that all cyclists are gay - I know I'm not for a start.

I know, I've seen some really grumpy cyclists

Tony ;-^)

Simonb wrote:

> Point taken. But this is true of all sports (apart from darts).

Oh I don't know - there's "The Bronzed Adonis", "The Prince Of Style"
and, of course, Bobby George and his candelabra/cape/crown.

I've been to the Circus Tavern a couple of times for the world darts and
it really is rather good entertainment. Lowbrow entertainment, but good
nevertheless.

"Temp3st" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > dannyfrankszzz wrote:
> > > I was wondering if there is a certain type of psychological profile that
> > > fits cyclists.

> > This sounds strangely familiar...
> >
> > Here's another thought for you to consider:
> > Cycling is an intrinsically gay sport.
> >

> Well that's the biggest load of bollocks I've read today.
>
> gay - my ****!!

I heartily endorse this product and/or service.
--

-- M.

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Point taken. But this is true of all sports (apart from darts).

Darts, a sport?
I thought it was something to do to pass the time whilst drinking as an
alternative to talking bollocks :)

Pete ( Who was in a darts team, still drinks ocasionally and is as capable
as the next person at talking bollocks)

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:39:34 +0100, davek <[email protected]> wrote:

>All that leg-shaving and wearing of lycra in carefully
>co-ordinated colour schemes, for example. And cyclists are always
>admiring or sneering at each other's bikes. It's all /extremely/ camp.

Not to mention the mincing walk that goes with wearing racing shoes...
--

Cheers,

Al