Psychological Profiling of Cyclists

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by dannyfrankszzz, Aug 25, 2004.

  1. dannyfrankszzz

    dannyfrankszzz New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2003
    I was wondering if there is a certain type of psychological profile that fits cyclists.

    I was reading something about one of the UK cyclists on the UK Olympic team and how his main driving force to be a cyclist was because of frustration.

    Some of the top professional cyclists just seem like your typical glamour playboy types.

    Tags:

  2. davek

    davek Guest

    dannyfrankszzz wrote:
    > I was wondering if there is a certain type of psychological profile that
    > fits cyclists.

    This sounds strangely familiar...

    Here's another thought for you to consider:
    Cycling is an intrinsically gay sport.

    I was pondering this while out on my bike yesterday, and the more I
    thought about it, the more I thought similarities I found between
    cyclists and gay men.

    I'm not saying that all cyclists are gay - I know I'm not for a start.
    And I know certain sports have homoerotic elements but that's not what
    I'm talking about either.

    What I'm getting at is the level of preening and exhibitionism that goes
    with cycling. Road racing is necessarily something you do in public, in
    full view of the world, and appearance is a very important
    consideration. All that leg-shaving and wearing of lycra in carefully
    co-ordinated colour schemes, for example. And cyclists are always
    admiring or sneering at each other's bikes. It's all /extremely/ camp.

    > Some of the top professional cyclists just seem like your typical
    > glamour playboy types.

    Poofs, the lot of 'em.

    d.

    PS in case it needs saying, none of the above is in any way even
    slightly serious.

  3. Temp3st

    Temp3st Guest

    "davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > dannyfrankszzz wrote:
    > > I was wondering if there is a certain type of psychological profile that
    > > fits cyclists.

    > This sounds strangely familiar...
    >
    > Here's another thought for you to consider:
    > Cycling is an intrinsically gay sport.

    Well that's the biggest load of bollocks I've read today.

    gay - my arse!!

  4. > gay - my arse!!

    There are probably more suitable places on the net to request those sort of
    services.

  5. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    davek wrote:
    > dannyfrankszzz wrote:
    >> I was wondering if there is a certain type of psychological profile
    >> that fits cyclists.

    > This sounds strangely familiar...
    >
    > Here's another thought for you to consider:
    > Cycling is an intrinsically gay sport.
    >
    > I was pondering this while out on my bike yesterday, and the more I
    > thought about it, the more I thought similarities I found between
    > cyclists and gay men.
    >
    > I'm not saying that all cyclists are gay - I know I'm not for a start.
    > And I know certain sports have homoerotic elements but that's not what
    > I'm talking about either.
    >
    > What I'm getting at is the level of preening and exhibitionism that
    > goes with cycling. Road racing is necessarily something you do in
    > public, in full view of the world, and appearance is a very important
    > consideration. All that leg-shaving and wearing of lycra in carefully
    > co-ordinated colour schemes, for example. And cyclists are always
    > admiring or sneering at each other's bikes. It's all /extremely/ camp.
    >
    >> Some of the top professional cyclists just seem like your typical
    >> glamour playboy types.

    > Poofs, the lot of 'em.
    >
    > d.
    >
    > PS in case it needs saying, none of the above is in any way even
    > slightly serious.

    Point taken. But this is true of all sports (apart from darts).

  6. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:25:06 +1000 someone who may be dannyfrankszzz
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >I was wondering if there is a certain type of psychological profile that
    >fits cyclists.

    Rather unlikely. Mrs Goggins cycling to the library is likely to be
    very different to someone taking part in track cycling in the
    Olympics.

    prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  7. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    davek wrote:

    > Here's another thought for you to consider:
    > Cycling is an intrinsically gay sport.
    >
    > I was pondering this while out on my bike yesterday, and the more I
    > thought about it, the more I thought similarities I found between
    > cyclists and gay men.

    That's the first time in a long time I've seen the word gay used in its
    original sense.

    > I'm not saying that all cyclists are gay - I know I'm not for a start.

    I know, I've seen some really grumpy cyclists

    Tony ;-^)

  8. Simonb wrote:

    > Point taken. But this is true of all sports (apart from darts).

    Oh I don't know - there's "The Bronzed Adonis", "The Prince Of Style"
    and, of course, Bobby George and his candelabra/cape/crown.

    I've been to the Circus Tavern a couple of times for the world darts and
    it really is rather good entertainment. Lowbrow entertainment, but good
    nevertheless.

  9. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

    "Temp3st" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "davek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > dannyfrankszzz wrote:
    > > > I was wondering if there is a certain type of psychological profile that
    > > > fits cyclists.

    > > This sounds strangely familiar...
    > >
    > > Here's another thought for you to consider:
    > > Cycling is an intrinsically gay sport.
    > >

    > Well that's the biggest load of bollocks I've read today.
    >
    > gay - my arse!!

    I heartily endorse this product and/or service.
    --

    -- M.

  10. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Point taken. But this is true of all sports (apart from darts).

    Darts, a sport?
    I thought it was something to do to pass the time whilst drinking as an
    alternative to talking bollocks :)

    Pete ( Who was in a darts team, still drinks ocasionally and is as capable
    as the next person at talking bollocks)

  11. Al C-F

    Al C-F Guest

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:39:34 +0100, davek <[email protected]> wrote:

    >All that leg-shaving and wearing of lycra in carefully
    >co-ordinated colour schemes, for example. And cyclists are always
    >admiring or sneering at each other's bikes. It's all /extremely/ camp.

    Not to mention the mincing walk that goes with wearing racing shoes...
    --

    Cheers,

    Al