Recently my PT Pro head unit is not showing a power icon and (obviously) not showing a reading at the Watts level.
I have dried out the hub (maybe needs more), replaced the hub batteries and still no reading. I have the sensor attached to the rear non-drive fork as per the diagrams and this position has not changed. Though I see a few now attached at the chain stay.
After more drying out my next step is to take the bike to a friend who has a PT set-up and swap wheels/bikes to see if there is a problem with the hub.
Assuming (the worst) my hub is damaged..
What is next step and any other ideas for checking?
Recently my PT Pro head unit is not showing a power icon and (obviously) not showing a reading at the Watts level.
I have dried out the hub (maybe needs more), replaced the hub batteries and still no reading. I have the sensor attached to the rear non-drive fork as per the diagrams and this position has not changed. Though I see a few now attached at the chain stay.
After more drying out my next step is to take the bike to a friend who has a PT set-up and swap wheels/bikes to see if there is a problem with the hub.
Assuming (the worst) my hub is damaged..
What is next step and any other ideas for checking?
Thanks Ian
I keep a spare receiver and computer for such testing. It doesn't even need to be attached to the frame. It just needs to be within range to get the hub signal. This allows me to isolate the malfunctioning part (hub, receiver or computer). If you can't lay your hands on a spare receiver and computer (e.g., LBS), you could put your wheel on another PT equipped bike that you know is working correctly. Sometimes the receiver hard wire gets pinched or damaged, which interrupts the hub signal transmission. You might want to check it for kinks or damage.
Make sure you're not in cyclocomputer mode. Go to the cadence display and hold select for 2 sec. This turns on/off cyclo mode and "WATTS" will appear/disappear, respectively.
I keep a spare receiver and computer for such testing. It doesn't even need to be attached to the frame. It just needs to be within range to get the hub signal. This allows me to isolate the malfunctioning part (hub, receiver or computer). If you can't lay your hands on a spare receiver and computer (e.g., LBS), you could put your wheel on another PT equipped bike that you know is working correctly. Sometimes the receiver hard wire gets pinched or damaged, which interrupts the hub signal transmission. You might want to check it for kinks or damage.
Thanks again for the quick reply. I have 2 wired looms, one on my road bike and one on my TT bike and unfortunately none (now) pick up a hub signal. I do have 2 head units (computers) and will test it over the weekend.
Also a friend has a PT so we can swap wheels to id any problemsm
But I'm dreading the prospect it is a hub problem especially since I'm in the UK
But I'm dreading the prospect it is a hub problem especially since I'm in the UK
I'm in Australia so I know the feeling when one dies and needs to go back to Saris - I've sent two back over the past year or so but to their credit I got a new hub - free replacement each time and in pretty good time. It still costs as I need to delace and rebuild wheel to keep freight costs down and the shipping charge to US. Fortunately I have more than one PT wheel so I usually get by OK and don't suffer from PM withdrawal symptoms.😉
my power icon started blinking two workouts ago. i replaced the batter in the head unit, but it's continuing to do so. is this indicating a battery problem at the hub? it's not in torque mode, which is when i thought that thing blinked.
my power icon started blinking two workouts ago. i replaced the batter in the head unit, but it's continuing to do so. is this indicating a battery problem at the hub? it's not in torque mode, which is when i thought that thing blinked.
In the SL, the computer displays a low battery message when you clear the memory ("BAT LOW" IIRC). The blinking hub icon in the upper left of the computer display means that you have low hub batteries. I'm not sure how much longer you will get a valid hub signal because I have always replaced my hub batteries immediately upon getting the blinking icon.