Power meters · Public discussion

PT SL Hub Battery Life?

Started by RapDaddyo · · Last activity · 8 posts · 1,743 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Power meters
Published
19 August 2005
Last activity
22 August 2005
Original author
RapDaddyo
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,743
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. What is your experience with PT SL hub battery life? The User Guide says the batteries should last 250-300 hours. I have ~200 hours on my SL now and the batteries seem to be fine. But, I have a few important rides and races coming up and don't want to lose my hub batteries in the middle of a ride. On the other hand, I don't want to replace them unnecessarily. How many hours do you get out of a set of batteries? BTW, I think the PT Pro uses different batteries, so I don't think PT Pro battery life is applicable.

  2. I probably got close to 300 on my SL, but then they pooped out suddenly - in the middle of a long epic ride.
    Changing is easy. Just do it now, cheap insurance.

    "easy" if you are careful. The original batts seemd to have had a small amount of black glue holding them in. I took a small knife to cut through the glue. Also, be careful to not break the black tabs holding the batts in. I tried calling the 800 # listed on the batt holster and always got a busy signal. What other instrument or piece of equip (except Polar?) does one need to call a busy 800 number to change batteries? Rube Goldberg design????

  3. 9606 said:

    I probably got close to 300 on my SL, but then they pooped out suddenly - in the middle of a long epic ride.

    That's exactly what I am worried about. I've got a 17.5 mile hillclimb TT on 9/17 and that'll be right in the 250-300 hour range. I think I'll just plan on a 250-hour replacement schedule. That's easy because it's almost exactly every 4 months. Thanks for the input. And, thanks for the heads up on the replacement issues. Cheers.

  4. 9606 said:

    I probably got close to 300 on my SL, but then they pooped out suddenly - in the middle of a long epic ride.
    Changing is easy. Just do it now, cheap insurance.

    "easy" if you are careful. The original batts seemd to have had a small amount of black glue holding them in. I took a small knife to cut through the glue. Also, be careful to not break the black tabs holding the batts in. I tried calling the 800 # listed on the batt holster and always got a busy signal. What other instrument or piece of equip (except Polar?) does one need to call a busy 800 number to change batteries? Rube Goldberg design????


    Mine didn't have the black glue. Maybe that was corrosion?

    It's really easy to change them so I would recommend doing it sooner rather than later. I use a wrench with a towel to get the hub open so as not to damage the plastic cover. You only need the wrench to get it started. Takes about 5 minutes.

  5. lanierb said:

    Mine didn't have the black glue. Maybe that was corrosion?

    It's really easy to change them so I would recommend doing it sooner rather than later. I use a wrench with a towel to get the hub open so as not to damage the plastic cover. You only need the wrench to get it started. Takes about 5 minutes.

    Did you apply grease to the O-rings as recommended? If so, what kind of grease did you use?

  6. RapDaddyo said:

    Did you apply grease to the O-rings as recommended? If so, what kind of grease did you use?


    I just used regular bike grease (I can't remember what brand I have). I did not remove the o-ring as it says in the manual, just took off the cap, replaced the batteries, put a very small amount of grease on the o-ring (just enough to lubricate it so it doesn't bind when the cap goes back on), and put the cap back on. It's really really easy.

  7. lanierb said:

    I just used regular bike grease (I can't remember what brand I have). I did not remove the o-ring as it says in the manual, just took off the cap, replaced the batteries, put a very small amount of grease on the o-ring (just enough to lubricate it so it doesn't bind when the cap goes back on), and put the cap back on. It's really really easy.

    Great. Thanks for the input. I'll be doing this in a couple of weeks.

  8. [quote="lanierb"]Mine didn't have the black glue. Maybe that was corrosion?

    No, it was a small dab of black adhesive or silicone type material.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.