Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Punture preventative measures

Started by Racer_Rob · · Last activity · 24 posts · 3,103 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
30 November 2008
Last activity
9 December 2008
Original author
Racer_Rob
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,103
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–24 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The tire-within-a-tire method will result in higher rolling resistance.

    Try picking the glass out of your tread between rides. The shards chew through gradually sometimes. That's how they ate the other guy's Schwalbe tire. I have found glass will eat through a kevlar belt if given enough revolutions of the tire.

    I have no experience with Schwalbe Marathons but since I get good results from cheaper tires, I think it is a definite possibility that glass shard was in there for a while.

  2. Some great advice here from other users. Just on the subject of tires I have put in around 3500 km on Continental GP 4000s and also around 4000 km on Continental Gatorskins on my training wheels, and have not had one puncture on either set of tires! This is on roads where there is no shortage of broken glass and other rubbish that can puncture a tire. I can not recommend these tires highly enough!!

  3. deecee said:

    Some great advice here from other users. Just on the subject of tires I have put in around 3500 km on Continental GP 4000s and also around 4000 km on Continental Gatorskins on my training wheels, and have not had one puncture on either set of tires! This is on roads where there is no shortage of broken glass and other rubbish that can puncture a tire. I can not recommend these tires highly enough!!


    🙂 Good news re the Gatorskins(& GPs). I'm trying one on a bike too....all well but done a heap less kms on it than you.

  4. Bigbananabike said:

    🙂 Good news re the Gatorskins(& GPs). I'm trying one on a bike too....all well but done a heap less kms on it than you.

    I've been using Sprinter Gatorskin tubies for a while, with nary a puncture and very few cuts. That's sayin' somethin' in the Land of the Goathead, where the Flying Glass Bottle is the state bird.

    GP4000 clinchers? Not so much. They seem to puncture or slice sidewalls anytime they go anywhere near pavement. Hate 'em. My bare feet hold up better on the road.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.