Bike Cafe · Public discussion

Pushing ladies up hills

Started by DarrylZ · · Last activity · 19 posts · 2,505 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
10 May 2004
Last activity
11 May 2004
Original author
DarrylZ
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,505
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi All
    Was inquisative to hear if this happens in other countries as we'll, and what the comments are from both Ladies & Gent riders out there.

    I have come across this happening in races as we'll as training rides, where a guy, be he boyfriend, husband or friend will aid a lady by giving her a push from behind to assist her in keeping her pace up.

    And i was just wondering how the general feeling about this was amongst other cyclist, as personally i find it very annoying for a number of reason, which would probably require a whole debat.

    😕

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by DarrylZ
    Hi All
    Was inquisative to hear if this happens in other countries as we'll, and what the comments are from both Ladies & Gent riders out there.

    I have come across this happening in races as we'll as training rides, where a guy, be he boyfriend, husband or friend will aid a lady by giving her a push from behind to assist her in keeping her pace up.

    And i was just wondering how the general feeling about this was amongst other cyclist, as personally i find it very annoying for a number of reason, which would probably require a whole debat.

    😕

    If it's your wife/girlfriend or someone you know and actually wants the assistance -- fine.. But sometimes its just an excuse for a guy to either try impress others, or to get a little to close to the fairer sex.... (And for some women who wish to be treated equally in the group, I can imagine it is a little insulting)....
    I wonder how a struggling guy would feel if a strong lady dropped back and started pushing him! - would love to see that!

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by DarrylZ

    And i was just wondering how the general feeling about this was amongst other cyclist, as personally i find it very annoying for a number of reason, which would probably require a whole debat.

    😕

    Why do you get annoyed if there is someone assisting a lady, or anyone for that matter up a hill?

  4. Quoted message said:

    And i was just wondering how the general feeling about this was amongst other cyclist

    I go for Sunday morning rides with a local club. The club is mostly men but one woman joins in with the gentler paced rides (I've not been riding with the club long enough to know if there are any other women members).

    Last Sunday was a gentler day so Susy came out to play. She was given a push several times by the senior rider of the club who I think was just showing off to everyone else how easy he finds climbing compared to the rest of us. There were a few comments made, mostly of a jokey nature, among them the observation that Mike wouldn't offer the same assistance to a male rider.

    If I was a woman, I expect I would find it deeply patronising. I find climbing hard work but the sense of achievement you get when you reach the top of a big hill makes it all worthwhile - the effect would be greatly diminished for me if I had someone 'helping' me. I'm not sure how Susy took it - she's been with the club a while, I think, so I suspect she's used to it. She doesn't seem to let it bother her.

    Personally, I would never give that kind of assistance unless I knew the person very well *and* I was actually asked to do it. And I suppose I would be just as willing to help a male rider as a female - it's not a sexual gesture and needn't be taken that way.

    d.

  5. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by davek
    >
    Personally, I would never give that kind of assistance unless I knew the person very well *and* I was actually asked to do it. And I suppose I would be just as willing to help a male rider as a female - it's not a sexual gesture and needn't be taken that way.

    d.

    I think you've answered yourself here a bit.

    What I have experienced when we ride in slower rides where people (both men and women) would/could/should receive some assistance is when you get some stronger people sitting at the front of the bunch and the pace is too strong for two or three people. Usually, these people are just off the pace and will ordinarily get dropped in the last hundred metres or so of a climb, so they'll get a push (or a shove if that's all that's required) to let them stay with the bunch over the crest of the climb.

    If there is someone who is quite a bit weaker than the rest of the people, they may require a bit more pushing. (Often nearing the end of the ride.)

    I have even had it happen to me in a race. I was in a break with 6 other guys (none from the same teams) and we were working well together, and I started blowing. One of the guys kept me (by pushing) close enough to stay with them over a climb, and I resumed my share of the work on the remaining flats till the end of the race. In repayment, I gave him a lead-out and he managed to win the race and I got 7th.

    Just riding up to someone you don't know and giving them a push is a no-no. (Although, I have on our 2nd lap of a fun ride helped quite a few people, whom I don't know, climb hills that they were seriously struggling on, however, they usually jokingly requested assistance, and were pleasantly surprised when they received it. We even had a little pushing race between a gentleman and his wife once, where we told them just to relax and not to peddle and recover a bit while we did the work up the hill. (All in the name of fun.)

  6. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Ratty
    Why do you get annoyed if there is someone assisting a lady, or anyone for that matter up a hill?

    Hi all
    And thanx for your insights and thoughts, i think my annoyance was probably more specificaly directed at my situation ironically 2 weekends in a row, the first was in a small select group of us whom only train together on Saturdays when there are no races, and we literally end up having our own little race, which is a great workout, and have been doing so for more than a year, in this instance one of the riders descided to bring along a cycling lady whom was not quite up to the speed but a good cyclist none the less, i just feel that if you are going to aid someone in a specific situation such as this it should be done to the side or back of the bunch, so as not to interfere with anyone else.

    And then the second scenario was where on a mountain bike ride with a group coming up a long climb on a trail just wide enough for 2 bikes assisting someone and taking up the whole trail preventing others passing (even after requests) was also a bit irritating. Keep in mind that im not a super climber so when i get into a rythm its important for me to carry that momentum.

    It's actually not a major issue was more intrigued to hear ho w the ladies felt about this,

  7. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by emrin

    I wonder how a struggling guy would feel if a strong lady dropped back and started pushing him! - would love to see that!

    This guy for one wouldn't be upset by that, I believe in total equality, I'll take help form anyone who wants to give it 🙂

  8. I give my wife a push all the time. Gets us out together more, and we are both happy.

  9. Well lets see here ..

    Mmmmmmmmmm from a ladies point of view (mine only) ..

    Firstly, it would depend on "who" was pushing, shoving, tickling me up the hill and what I thought was behind it (s'cuse pun). Is this a physical push (I presume it is)!?!?

    Secondly, some guys are just wanting "quick feel" and are constantly being overly sexual .. they are like the bloke with a flasher mack - I wouldn't want an extra "push" from him! Some folks are innocent (mmmmmm) and are truelly helping you to stay with a group.

    Thirdly, if a stranger did it I probably give him a long stream of verbal and try to take his assanine ass off his wheels - you don't go up to a women and just put ya hands on her bits and pieces .. full stop!

    Some blokes can be very condescending about everything to do with women and think we are bunch of whimps - those you just don't give them the time of day. Often they are not up to par in what they are trying to show you up in! Sooooooooooo .. you just show them a thing or 2 - cos if you are truelly o.k. with yourself and are an excellent rider you don't have to go proving it.

    I try to stay with a group that I can be challenged at, not dropped after 2 minutes; but, I do not expect someone to hold back cos I am on the slooooooooooooooooow boat!

    To sum it up - I don't mind someone helping me out "verbally" unless I know them really well and I don't feel they are trying to make me look like an idiot - remember the ole adrenalin is surging when your hauling ass - a nice sideways glance of "don't mess with me mother f*******r" doesn't go amiss either!

    Ladies ..

  10. To sum it up - I don't mind someone helping me out "verbally" unless I know them really well and I don't feel they are trying to make me look like an idiot - remember the ole adrenalin is surging when your hauling ass - a nice sideways glance of "don't mess with me mother f*******r" doesn't go amiss either!

    Ladies .. [/B][/QUOTE]

    Hi Susan
    Youve pretty much summed up the way i tried to imagine i would feel if i was on the other end.

    Have a good day
    P.S. The knitting's not all that exciting

  11. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Susan Repp
    Well lets see here ..

    Mmmmmmmmmm from a ladies point of view (mine only) ..

    Firstly, it would depend on "who" was pushing, shoving, tickling me up the hill and what I thought was behind it (s'cuse pun). Is this a physical push (I presume it is)!?!?

    Secondly, some guys are just wanting "quick feel" and are constantly being overly sexual .. they are like the bloke with a flasher mack - I wouldn't want an extra "push" from him! Some folks are innocent (mmmmmm) and are truelly helping you to stay with a group.

    Thirdly, if a stranger did it I probably give him a long stream of verbal and try to take his assanine ass off his wheels - you don't go up to a women and just put ya hands on her bits and pieces .. full stop!

    Some blokes can be very condescending about everything to do with women and think we are bunch of whimps - those you just don't give them the time of day. Often they are not up to par in what they are trying to show you up in! Sooooooooooo .. you just show them a thing or 2 - cos if you are truelly o.k. with yourself and are an excellent rider you don't have to go proving it.

    I try to stay with a group that I can be challenged at, not dropped after 2 minutes; but, I do not expect someone to hold back cos I am on the slooooooooooooooooow boat!

    To sum it up - I don't mind someone helping me out "verbally" unless I know them really well and I don't feel they are trying to make me look like an idiot - remember the ole adrenalin is surging when your hauling ass - a nice sideways glance of "don't mess with me mother f*******r" doesn't go amiss either!

    Ladies ..

    So you're saying I'm not allowed to feel your butt, er I mean give you a push up a hill? 😄

  12. The only time this happened to me was on the way home after a long ride in the city.

    I was about 5km from home and pretty dog-tired. So I was taking it easy, going maybe 17-18 kmh on a semi-busy street.

    All of a sudden I felt a hand on my back.

    Now this is strange when you're out by yourself and in a city where cyclists NEVER acknowledge eachother, never say "hi", even stopped side by side at a light. Nothing -- zip, nil, nada, zilch, waloo, rien du tout.

    Strangely enough though, it didn't startle me too much because it was a solid, kind, gentle sort of touch. When I turned to look, there was an older gentleman, clad in cycling gear, with a cool bike (I'm incapable of telling you what kind).

    He smiled and said "Je te pousse un peu?" (You need a little push?). I smiled and said "Oui je veux bien!" (Yes, I'd like that"😉. He pushed maybe 100 meters, and then took off.

    It was a really nice exchange, but I think it was all in the way he did it. It might have been different if he had been akward or seemed interested in striking up a conversation. My bet is that he had a lot of miles under his belt, and lots of experience giving fellow cyclists a hand climbing.

    Voilà. And the French lesson was free of charge ;-). A side note to francophiles (the rest of you can skip this part) - he used the familiar form of you (tu) when talking to me, instead of the one you use with total strangers (vous). So I have surmised that among serious cyclists (he, not I), there is a kind of cameraderie that allows you to forego the formal title. As is often the case when you are a member of the same group. Interesting.

    S

  13. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by less'go
    The only time this happened to me was on the way home after a long ride in the city.

    I was about 5km from home and pretty dog-tired. So I was taking it easy, going maybe 17-18 kmh on a semi-busy street.

    All of a sudden I felt a hand on my back.

    Now this is strange when you're out by yourself and in a city where cyclists NEVER acknowledge eachother, never say "hi", even stopped side by side at a light. Nothing -- zip, nil, nada, zilch, waloo, rien du tout.

    Strangely enough though, it didn't startle me too much because it was a solid, kind, gentle sort of touch. When I turned to look, there was an older gentleman, clad in cycling gear, with a cool bike (I'm incapable of telling you what kind).

    He smiled and said "Je te pousse un peu?" (You need a little push?). I smiled and said "Oui je veux bien!" (Yes, I'd like that"😉. He pushed maybe 100 meters, and then took off.

    It was a really nice exchange, but I think it was all in the way he did it. It might have been different if he had been akward or seemed interested in striking up a conversation. My bet is that he had a lot of miles under his belt, and lots of experience giving fellow cyclists a hand climbing.

    Voilà. And the French lesson was free of charge ;-). A side note to francophiles (the rest of you can skip this part) - he used the familiar form of you (tu) when talking to me, instead of the one you use with total strangers (vous). So I have surmised that among serious cyclists (he, not I), there is a kind of cameraderie that allows you to forego the formal title. As is often the case when you are a member of the same group. Interesting.

    S

    So if someone says "tu a malade a la tete" to me, should I smile and nod?

  14. Well, it depends. If someone says "Tu es malade dans ta tête!?" it's like saying "Are you crazy" (like if after a race, some French guy that you ran off the road comes up and says this, he is not happy). Here smiling and nodding is truly the best solution.

    But "Tu as mal à la tête?" is more what the French guy might say after you took a bad spill to find out if you hurt your head. Nuances, eh Ratty?

    That will be 1$ please.

  15. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by less'go
    Well, it depends. If someone says "Tu es malade dans ta tête!?" it's like saying "Are you crazy" (like if after a race, some French guy that you ran off the road comes up and says this, he is not happy). Here smiling and nodding is truly the best solution.

    But "Tu as mal à la tête?" is more what the French guy might say after you took a bad spill to find out if you hurt your head. Nuances, eh Ratty?

    That will be 1$ please.

    The guy did sort of have this look of sheer horror on his face as I flew past him in mid corner down some hectic sweeping bends and overtook the team cars at 90km/h. Had to rejoin the bunch you know. The Ratty is not known for his climbing skills, but he descends like a lead baloon.😄

  16. Ceci explique cela.

    I figured your question had a story behind it...

  17. See it IS the way someone does something and WHO it is. Some people (good pr here) are just too creepy in everything they do and it is just a "feeling" you get along with the actions that usually follow .. 6th sense! One fella could touch the ole bottom and it is o.k. (has happened/not on bike) and another could get his chops smacked (has happened/wasn't his chops either) - intentions invited or not play a big part in all of it. Don't take liberties and you won't get a smack! I know fellas are the same as I have spoken to a few who said they got some univited touches and didn't like it - could it be they didn't fancy the girl? Ehh???

    In the end (no pun intended) if I felt they were doing it to truelly help then o.k. - if they think I am sort of wussy woman and they are trying to show off their manhood (not on my shift) then no!

    Mr. Ratty you can help me up them there hills and I promise NOT to clober you!

  18. I'll occasionally give my wife a push up a hill when she needs it, I'm a much stronger cyclist than her and me helping her up the hill doesn't hurt her feelings at all. And besides, its an excuse to touch her hiney in spandex 😄

  19. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Nitromike
    I'll occasionally give my wife a push up a hill when she needs it, I'm a much stronger cyclist than her and me helping her up the hill doesn't hurt her feelings at all. And besides, its an excuse to touch her hiney in spandex 😄

    Exactly my point - it's your wife! I wouldn't just go up to any ole fella and give him a quick shove cos I was behind him - I might want to especially if he had a nice hiney .. they tell kindergardeners "keep your hands to yourself .."

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.