UK and Europe · Public discussion

Putting Road gear on to MTB

Started by tj · · Last activity · 23 posts · 1,180 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
6 June 2005
Last activity
13 June 2005
Original author
tj
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,180
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello all,

    while I think of myself as a roadie I am forced to commute to work on my
    trusty old MTB as I feel my road bike would be too attractive a target
    in the local car park.

    While this works well I am reasonably fit and find that I only ever use
    the top 3 gears despite some good stiff climbs on my route.

    My MTB drive train is now pretty worn and a recent spill has damaged my
    front mech so almost all needs replacing.

    My local dealer says that I could actually put a front dual mech, double
    front chainring (road), new chain and new rear sprocket (keeping rear
    mech as is).

    Has anyone else done this ?

    It seems like the logical move but i'd welcome the thoughts of the group
    on this.

    Cheers

    TJ

  2. tj <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : My local dealer says that I could actually put a front dual mech, double
    : front chainring (road), new chain and new rear sprocket (keeping rear
    : mech as is).

    You could, but it might be an expensive way of doing things.

    And though we always say this, I'd wonder what sort of cadence (pedal
    rotations) you are keeping if you're only using the top couple of
    gears even uphill.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt
    Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
    lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes

  3. Arthur Clune said:

    tj <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : My local dealer says that I could actually put a front dual mech, double
    : front chainring (road), new chain and new rear sprocket (keeping rear
    : mech as is).

    You could, but it might be an expensive way of doing things.

    And though we always say this, I'd wonder what sort of cadence (pedal
    rotations) you are keeping if you're only using the top couple of
    gears even uphill.

    The big ring could be a 42 and the smallest rear cog a 14.. And he
    could live in Cambridge or Norfolk where the hills are marginally
    larger than the camber in the road..

    Everyones definition of a hill is a bit different.. (Do I feel the
    ghost of an old thread looming?)

    ...d

  4. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    And though we always say this,

    True, but as I've pointed out before, a few years ago a great many
    mountain-style bikes were sold with ridiculously low top gears. Eg a
    "compact" chainset with a 14-whatever cassette.

    I agree, it's probably an expensive way of doing things. The OP needs
    to post details of what he's got already, but I would have thought
    he'll probably need to change the chain and cassette so will be able to
    put on a cassette with 11-tooth smallest ring. Then if he's still
    under-geared he could (later) change the largest chainring, but he
    probably won't need to.

  5. As another suggestion, the MTB-derived hybrid I commute on (rather than
    the MTB I got very muddy on yesterday) doesn't have a front mech at
    all. It just has a simple single front 42T chainring.

    It's as on the one here:
    <URL:http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/news/reviews/edin_courier.html>

    Cheers
    Stross

  6. iakobski said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    And though we always say this,

    True, but as I've pointed out before, a few years ago a great many
    mountain-style bikes were sold with ridiculously low top gears. Eg a
    "compact" chainset with a 14-whatever cassette.

    When has such a thing ever been available?

    James
    --
    James Annan
    see web pages for email
    http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/
    http://julesandjames.blogspot.com/

  7. tj said:

    While this works well I am reasonably fit and find that I only ever use
    the top 3 gears despite some good stiff climbs on my route.

    If you don't have to change gear, they aren't climbs - merely
    undulations. ;-)

    Do you ever find yourself "spinning out"? (ie not being able to pedal
    fast enough to make any difference to your speed)

    If not, then I wouldn't worry too much about giving your bike higher
    gears - if your problem is not being able to go as fast as you would
    like, you might find you will get more benefit by spending your money
    on slicker, narrower, higher pressure tyres (presuming your mountain
    bike currently has off-road tyres) which will give you extra speed for
    the same level of effort.

    If spinning out /is/ a problem, a larger "roadie" chainring will
    certainly help, especially if you are replacing the parts anyway. But
    like Arthur says, it will be expensive, so don't rush into it.

    If you only spin out on downhill stretches, I would say it's not worth
    getting a larger chainring. Personally, I'm becoming increasingly of
    the opinion that variable gearing is over-rated. I have mostly given up
    changing gear on my commute (even when I do the long version of my
    commute - 17 miles - as I did this morning) and tend to stick to a
    42*16, which allows me to maintain a comfortable cadence (usually
    somewhere in the range 80-100 rpm), isn't too high to comfortably pull
    away from lights and isn't too low to stop me going fast when I need a
    burst of speed.

    I rarely change down, even on the "climbs", and usually only change up
    for the really fast stretches (on the flat, with a tailwind, drafting a
    large vehicle, etc) but if I didn't have the larger gear, I wouldn't
    miss it.

    d.

  8. David Martin said:

    The big ring could be a 42 and the smallest rear cog a 14.. And he
    could live in Cambridge or Norfolk where the hills are marginally
    larger than the camber in the road..

    I do most of my commuting in 42*16, and my commute (central London) is
    not exactly mountainous in its profile, yet I don't often find myself
    spinning out. 42*14 should be plenty big enough for most circumstances.
    The OP describes himself as "reasonably fit", not Lance bloody
    Armstrong!

    Quoted message said:

    Everyones definition of a hill is a bit different.. (Do I feel the
    ghost of an old thread looming?)

    Fair enough... up to a point. You need to have a reasonable cut-off
    point so the term retains some semblance of meaning - what some people
    call hills would barely register as an upward gradient for many of us
    in this forum. Are we to allow those slight slopes to be described with
    the same word we use for an Alpine pass?

    d.

  9. tj said:

    while I think of myself as a roadie I am forced to commute to work on my
    trusty old MTB as I feel my road bike would be too attractive a target
    in the local car park.

    While this works well I am reasonably fit and find that I only ever use
    the top 3 gears despite some good stiff climbs on my route.

    My MTB drive train is now pretty worn and a recent spill has damaged my
    front mech so almost all needs replacing.

    My local dealer says that I could actually put a front dual mech, double
    front chainring (road), new chain and new rear sprocket (keeping rear
    mech as is).

    Why bother with a double set up at all? If you only use 3 gears now it
    sounds like a single ring Courier type set up might suit you, and your
    commute, very well.

    Keep current chainset but remove all three chainrings and put them in
    your bits box for later. Buy a larger chainring and mount it in the
    middle ring position on the spider, you'll probably need some shorter
    chainring bolts (or spacing washers) for that. Ditch the damaged front
    mech and cable, and, if you want, remove the front shifter from the
    handlebars.

    Lighter bike, simpler bike, faster bike.

    Cheap too. One chainring and a set of bolts, job done.

    If you go this route you may have to modify your chainset slightly. My
    MTB spider had to be filed down a little to accept an outer ring in
    the middle position, it was only a ten minute job though.

    The only other potential problem will be how much clearance your frame
    has for a larger ring in the middle, there will be a limit before it
    fouls the chainstay.

    If you wanted to spend a bit more money you could also put on a more
    road oriented rear cassette, for closer ratios and perhaps a bigger
    gear, depending on what's already at the back.

    "Bob"

    --

    Email address is spam trapped.
    To reply directly remove the beverage.

  10. iakobski said:

    True, but as I've pointed out before, a few years ago a great many
    mountain-style bikes were sold with ridiculously low top gears. Eg a
    "compact" chainset with a 14-whatever cassette.

    I've just done the maths... (well, I got an online calculator to do the
    maths for me)

    For a bike with 26" wheels and a "ridiculously low" top gear of 42*14,
    you get:
    18.6mph @ 80rpm
    20.9mph @ 90rpm
    23.2mph @ 100rpm

    I'd be really surprised if too-low gearing is the root of the OP's
    problem, unless his "big" chainring is very, very tiny.

    d.

  11. Yes you're right.

    Must put brain into gear....

  12. On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 15:57:59 +0100, iakobski <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Must put brain into gear....

    Which one?

    --
    jc

  13. James Annan said:
    iakobski said:

    True, but as I've pointed out before, a few years ago a great many
    mountain-style bikes were sold with ridiculously low top gears. Eg a
    "compact" chainset with a 14-whatever cassette.

    When has such a thing ever been available?

    Some cheap and nasty MTB style bikes have a compact chainset with a
    /freewheel/ with a top sprocket of 13 or 14T.

    ~PB

  14. Pete Biggs <p@honeydewbiggs{remove_melon}.tc> wrote:

    : Some cheap and nasty MTB style bikes have a compact chainset with a
    : /freewheel/ with a top sprocket of 13 or 14T.

    Even on a MTB I think I'd find 42x14 a little limiting. hm.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt
    Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
    lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes

  15. tj said:

    My local dealer says that I could actually put a front dual mech,
    double front chainring (road), new chain and new rear sprocket
    (keeping rear mech as is).

    Has anyone else done this ?

    I've not done it but I don't see any problem in doing it, as long as an
    appropriate bottom bracket was used.

    ~PB

  16. in message <[email hidden]>, tj

    (') said:

    Hello all,

    while I think of myself as a roadie I am forced to commute to work on
    my trusty old MTB as I feel my road bike would be too attractive a
    target in the local car park.

    While this works well I am reasonably fit and find that I only ever
    use the top 3 gears despite some good stiff climbs on my route.

    My MTB drive train is now pretty worn and a recent spill has damaged
    my front mech so almost all needs replacing.

    My local dealer says that I could actually put a front dual mech,
    double front chainring (road), new chain and new rear sprocket
    (keeping rear mech as is).

    The only thing to watch for is whether your chainstay has clearance for
    a 53 tooth ring. Some do, others (including mine) don't.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    ;; Sending your money to someone just because they've erected
    ;; a barrier of obscurity and secrets around the tools you
    ;; need to use your data does not help the economy or spur
    ;; innovation. - Waffle Iron Slashdot, June 16th, 2002

  17. tj came up with the following;:

    Quoted message said:

    While this works well I am reasonably fit and find that I only ever use
    the top 3 gears despite some good stiff climbs on my route.

    My local dealer says that I could actually put a front dual mech, double
    front chainring (road), new chain and new rear sprocket (keeping rear
    mech as is).

    Why bother with a front derailleur at all if you only actually use the top
    three gears? I'd go for the simplistic approach and take the derailleur
    off, the smaller rings, the change mechanism and 'slim' the bike down.

    YMMV ... 😉

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!
    http://dogpoopblog.blogspot.com/
    http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/

  18. David Martin said:

    The big ring could be a 42 and the smallest rear cog a 14.. And he
    could live in Cambridge or Norfolk where the hills are marginally
    larger than the camber in the road..

    I'd love a 14-30 cassette, but Shimano don't make them :-( The closest
    I can get on my tourer is 13-26, of which the 13 is never used, the 26
    isn't *quite* high enough for real hills because I have 52/42/26 up
    front, and I wish I had an 18T because I spend all the time shifting
    between 17T and 19T.

    In fact, I've worked out I only used five gears (out of 24) on
    Saturday's 93 mile run:

    42 x 21
    42 x 19
    42 x 17
    52 x 19
    52 x 17

    More than 95% of the time was in just two gears: 42 x 17 or 52 x 19.
    That double shift between the two is especially annoying.

  19. On 06/06/2005 22:00:15 Zog The Undeniable said:

    David Martin wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    I'd love a 14-30 cassette, but Shimano don't make them :-( The closest I
    can get on my tourer is 13-26, of which the 13 is never used, the 26 isn't
    *quite* high enough for real hills because I have 52/42/26 up front, and I
    wish I had an 18T because I spend all the time shifting between 17T and
    19T.


    Sram do an 11-28 and an 11-30
    --
    Buck

    I would rather be out on my Catrike

    www.catrike.co.uk

  20. Zog The Undeniable said:

    I'd love a 14-30 cassette, but Shimano don't make them :-(

    I think it's possible to make one by nicking cogs from various Shimano
    cassettes. Alternatively you could have a complete custom Marchisio
    cassette: www.anysystem.de

    I'm loving a 14-30 9-speed on my tourer with a Campag hub. It's a 14-28
    Veloce cassette with the largest three sprockets substituted for
    Marchisios.

    ~PB

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.