Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Q: 3 watt Cree LED flashlight from Lowe's

Started by Jim · · Last activity · 11 posts · 484 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
3 November 2007
Last activity
4 November 2007
Original author
Jim
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
484
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. There was a thread on this a few weeks ago and one bit of information
    didn't show up...

    How much current do they draw? It gives some indication of how much
    power it really is. I've seen "3 watt" flashlights that draw .09 amp
    at 3 volts. In other words, they draw 0.27 watt. If we use a
    generous 95% efficiency on the switching regulator about 1/4 watt goes
    to the LED.

    And the LED probably didn't come from a good bin, either...

    Thanks!

  2. Jim said:

    There was a thread on this a few weeks ago and one bit of information
    didn't show up...

    How much current do they draw? It gives some indication of how much
    power it really is. I've seen "3 watt" flashlights that draw .09 amp
    at 3 volts. In other words, they draw 0.27 watt. If we use a
    generous 95% efficiency on the switching regulator about 1/4 watt goes
    to the LED.

    And the LED probably didn't come from a good bin, either...

    I'm not an expert but much puffery in bicycle lights claims "[as much
    light as if it were an incandescent rated at] 3W"
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  3. Jim said:


    There was a thread on this a few weeks ago and one bit of information
    didn't show up...

    How much current do they draw? It gives some indication of how much
    power it really is. I've seen "3 watt" flashlights that draw .09 amp
    at 3 volts. In other words, they draw 0.27 watt. If we use a
    generous 95% efficiency on the switching regulator about 1/4 watt goes
    to the LED.

    And the LED probably didn't come from a good bin, either...

    The "3 watt" designation is the power rating for the Cree LED
    emitter. It is not a measure of any specific qualities of the
    flashlight in question, or even the quality of the LED.

    Unlike an incandescent bulb, an LED can have good performance when
    driven well outside its specification. Most white LEDs are even more
    efficient when driven below their rated power than when they are
    driven as specified. It is for this reason, as well as for marketing
    reasons, that manufacturers sometimes choose to use an emitter with a
    greater power rating than required for the application. The stated
    wattage for such a light is often the LED's power rating rather than
    its actual power draw in the device. 1-watt and 3-watt ratings are a
    strong clue to that effect, those values being very common nominal
    power ratings for high flux LEDs.

    Chalo

  4. On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 06:36:05 -0000, Chalo <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Jim said:


    There was a thread on this a few weeks ago and one bit of information
    didn't show up...

    How much current do they draw? It gives some indication of how much
    power it really is. I've seen "3 watt" flashlights that draw .09 amp
    at 3 volts. In other words, they draw 0.27 watt. If we use a
    generous 95% efficiency on the switching regulator about 1/4 watt goes
    to the LED.

    And the LED probably didn't come from a good bin, either...

    The "3 watt" designation is the power rating for the Cree LED
    emitter. It is not a measure of any specific qualities of the
    flashlight in question, or even the quality of the LED.

    Unlike an incandescent bulb, an LED can have good performance when
    driven well outside its specification. Most white LEDs are even more
    efficient when driven below their rated power than when they are
    driven as specified. It is for this reason, as well as for marketing
    reasons, that manufacturers sometimes choose to use an emitter with a
    greater power rating than required for the application. The stated
    wattage for such a light is often the LED's power rating rather than
    its actual power draw in the device. 1-watt and 3-watt ratings are a
    strong clue to that effect, those values being very common nominal
    power ratings for high flux LEDs.

    Chalo

    That's right and that's why I want numbers before plunking down $30.

    1 and 3 watt "ratings" are very common. So are .5, .3 and .25 watt
    LEDs. And it doesn't matter what the LED size is if it is seriously
    underdriven.

    And then there is the matter of which bin the LED's came from. LEDs
    from a good bin can produce twice the light as the low-rated bins.

    So has anybody measured current draw?

    Jim

  5. On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 06:36:05 -0000, Chalo <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Jim said:


    There was a thread on this a few weeks ago and one bit of information
    didn't show up...

    How much current do they draw? It gives some indication of how much
    power it really is. I've seen "3 watt" flashlights that draw .09 amp
    at 3 volts. In other words, they draw 0.27 watt. If we use a
    generous 95% efficiency on the switching regulator about 1/4 watt goes
    to the LED.

    And the LED probably didn't come from a good bin, either...

    The "3 watt" designation is the power rating for the Cree LED
    emitter. It is not a measure of any specific qualities of the
    flashlight in question, or even the quality of the LED.

    Unlike an incandescent bulb, an LED can have good performance when
    driven well outside its specification. Most white LEDs are even more
    efficient when driven below their rated power than when they are
    driven as specified. It is for this reason, as well as for marketing
    reasons, that manufacturers sometimes choose to use an emitter with a
    greater power rating than required for the application. The stated
    wattage for such a light is often the LED's power rating rather than
    its actual power draw in the device. 1-watt and 3-watt ratings are a
    strong clue to that effect, those values being very common nominal
    power ratings for high flux LEDs.

    Chalo

    That's right and that's why I want numbers before plunking down $30.

    1 and 3 watt "ratings" are very common. So are .5, .3 and .25 watt
    LEDs. And it doesn't matter what the LED size is if it is seriously
    underdriven.

    And then there is the matter of which bin the LED's came from. LEDs
    from a good bin can produce twice the light as the low-rated bins.

    So has anybody measured current draw?

    Jim

  6. On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 06:36:05 -0000, Chalo <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Jim said:


    There was a thread on this a few weeks ago and one bit of information
    didn't show up...

    How much current do they draw? It gives some indication of how much
    power it really is. I've seen "3 watt" flashlights that draw .09 amp
    at 3 volts. In other words, they draw 0.27 watt. If we use a
    generous 95% efficiency on the switching regulator about 1/4 watt goes
    to the LED.

    And the LED probably didn't come from a good bin, either...

    The "3 watt" designation is the power rating for the Cree LED
    emitter. It is not a measure of any specific qualities of the
    flashlight in question, or even the quality of the LED.

    Unlike an incandescent bulb, an LED can have good performance when
    driven well outside its specification. Most white LEDs are even more
    efficient when driven below their rated power than when they are
    driven as specified. It is for this reason, as well as for marketing
    reasons, that manufacturers sometimes choose to use an emitter with a
    greater power rating than required for the application. The stated
    wattage for such a light is often the LED's power rating rather than
    its actual power draw in the device. 1-watt and 3-watt ratings are a
    strong clue to that effect, those values being very common nominal
    power ratings for high flux LEDs.

    Chalo

    That's right and that's why I want numbers before plunking down $30.

    1 and 3 watt "ratings" are very common. So are .5, .3 and .25 watt
    LEDs. And it doesn't matter what the LED size is if it is seriously
    underdriven.

    And then there is the matter of which bin the LED's came from. LEDs
    from a good bin can produce twice the light as the low-rated bins.

    So has anybody measured current draw?

    Jim

  7. On Nov 4, 6:03 am, Jim <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ....

    Quoted message said:

    So has anybody measured current draw?

    Someone on candlepowerforums.com measured theirs at 1.2A, but I don't
    recall if they measured what the voltage was, or what affect a voltage
    boost circuit in the head might have. I think they were using the
    included alkaline batteries.

    I'd guess that they measured 1.2A @ ~3V, so maybe ~3.6 watts?

    Have no fear about the adequate-ness of the beam from this light.
    Even if you get one that isn't the best of the lot (I've had three of
    these lights, one is great with a large, bright, white spot, the other
    two, which I returned, had smaller, less bright, greener spots), it
    blows away my Fenix L2D-CE turbo-mode output for bike use. The Fenix
    is better as a general use flashlight though.

    I'm using mine with 2650mAh AA cells in C-cell adapters and it's
    working well for bike use, at least for my 40+ minute evening
    commute. I haven't measured its max runtime though.

  8. On Nov 4, 6:03 am, Jim <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ....

    Quoted message said:

    So has anybody measured current draw?

    Someone on candlepowerforums.com measured theirs at 1.2A, but I don't
    recall if they measured what the voltage was, or what affect a voltage
    boost circuit in the head might have. I think they were using the
    included alkaline batteries.

    I'd guess that they measured 1.2A @ ~3V, so maybe ~3.6 watts?

    Have no fear about the adequate-ness of the beam from this light.
    Even if you get one that isn't the best of the lot (I've had three of
    these lights, one is great with a large, bright, white spot, the other
    two, which I returned, had smaller, less bright, greener spots), it
    blows away my Fenix L2D-CE turbo-mode output for bike use. The Fenix
    is better as a general use flashlight though.

    I'm using mine with 2650mAh AA cells in C-cell adapters and it's
    working well for bike use, at least for my 40+ minute evening
    commute. I haven't measured its max runtime though.

  9. On Nov 4, 6:03 am, Jim <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ....

    Quoted message said:

    So has anybody measured current draw?

    Someone on candlepowerforums.com measured theirs at 1.2A, but I don't
    recall if they measured what the voltage was, or what affect a voltage
    boost circuit in the head might have. I think they were using the
    included alkaline batteries.

    I'd guess that they measured 1.2A @ ~3V, so maybe ~3.6 watts?

    Have no fear about the adequate-ness of the beam from this light.
    Even if you get one that isn't the best of the lot (I've had three of
    these lights, one is great with a large, bright, white spot, the other
    two, which I returned, had smaller, less bright, greener spots), it
    blows away my Fenix L2D-CE turbo-mode output for bike use. The Fenix
    is better as a general use flashlight though.

    I'm using mine with 2650mAh AA cells in C-cell adapters and it's
    working well for bike use, at least for my 40+ minute evening
    commute. I haven't measured its max runtime though.

  10. On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 12:16:39 -0000, Victor Kan <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On Nov 4, 6:03 am, Jim <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ...

    Quoted message said:

    So has anybody measured current draw?

    Someone on candlepowerforums.com measured theirs at 1.2A, but I don't
    recall if they measured what the voltage was, or what affect a voltage
    boost circuit in the head might have. I think they were using the
    included alkaline batteries.

    I'd guess that they measured 1.2A @ ~3V, so maybe ~3.6 watts?

    Have no fear about the adequate-ness of the beam from this light.
    Even if you get one that isn't the best of the lot (I've had three of
    these lights, one is great with a large, bright, white spot, the other
    two, which I returned, had smaller, less bright, greener spots), it
    blows away my Fenix L2D-CE turbo-mode output for bike use. The Fenix
    is better as a general use flashlight though.

    I'm using mine with 2650mAh AA cells in C-cell adapters and it's
    working well for bike use, at least for my 40+ minute evening
    commute. I haven't measured its max runtime though.

    Sounds good. Thanks!

  11. On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 12:16:39 -0000, Victor Kan <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    On Nov 4, 6:03 am, Jim <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ...

    Quoted message said:

    So has anybody measured current draw?

    Someone on candlepowerforums.com measured theirs at 1.2A, but I don't
    recall if they measured what the voltage was, or what affect a voltage
    boost circuit in the head might have. I think they were using the
    included alkaline batteries.

    I'd guess that they measured 1.2A @ ~3V, so maybe ~3.6 watts?

    Have no fear about the adequate-ness of the beam from this light.
    Even if you get one that isn't the best of the lot (I've had three of
    these lights, one is great with a large, bright, white spot, the other
    two, which I returned, had smaller, less bright, greener spots), it
    blows away my Fenix L2D-CE turbo-mode output for bike use. The Fenix
    is better as a general use flashlight though.

    I'm using mine with 2650mAh AA cells in C-cell adapters and it's
    working well for bike use, at least for my 40+ minute evening
    commute. I haven't measured its max runtime though.

    Sounds good. Thanks!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.