UK and Europe · Public discussion

Q: Cadence

Started by WibbleWobble · · Last activity · 26 posts · 819 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
1 July 2006
Last activity
11 July 2006
Original author
WibbleWobble
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
819
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–26 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Peter Clinch said:
    WibbleWobble said:

    Okay, tried the higher cadence on a 15 mile trip round Oxford @
    60~65rpm but find it difficult to sustain above 65, my legs tire
    out! This is a bit of a surprise to me :-(

    You're doing something you're not used to yet: you won't just
    change overnight with a flick of a switch, it will take a bit of
    time and persistence. Took me a bit of work, but I'm very glad I
    did it.

    Pete.

    I've just gone back to using high gears after twiddling for about 2 years.
    I'm going a lot faster, I'm not as tired, and I'm getting maximum breeze for
    minimum movement. The down side is that my fellow cyclists are complaining
    that they can't keep up.
    --

    Martin Bulmer

  2. Sandy Morton said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, Simon

    Brooke said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Can I ask, what is accepted as "ideal" cadence

    I guess 90 rev/min is about right.... a lot less after 300km and
    it's 3.00am on a 1:4 though, obviously....

    Quoted message said:

    I find I can't sustain 90. However, 80 works for me a lot better
    than 70.

    How do you work out the ideal cadence for an individual?

    I am 65 years young, 16 stone in old money but I do walk a lot.

    I have also just bought myself a new bike and managed 16kms in just
    over an hour - it is about 30 years since I tried the same journey.

    That's great news. I take it you enjoyed it, and you had the weather for it.

    A

  3. Quoted message said:

    3
    Cadence can be markedly increased by 'scientifically' using all the
    muscles in the leg. In practical terms this is down to two completely
    different things:
    (a) Using the ankle action [which may affect tendons in the knee - it
    appears to do so with mine if I over do it] to push down from [ish] 2
    o'clock to 7 o'clock. This is often called spinning.[2]
    (b) As a result of (a), or perhaps preventing (a), getting a good leg
    stretch, allowing the use of the foot as well as the leg to push. That
    is enough saddle height[3] (or more accurately downtube distance) to
    facilitate the 'ankle' action.

    Sh*ldon has this to say about it, doesn't seem like it's a good idea (tho I
    sometimes do it for short distances when doing er, long distances, to
    relieve the tedium:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_an-z.html#ankling

  4. Den 2006-07-03 01:00:02 skrev Martin Bulmer
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:


    I've just gone back to using high gears after twiddling for about 2
    years.
    I'm going a lot faster, I'm not as tired, and I'm getting maximum breeze
    for
    minimum movement. The down side is that my fellow cyclists are
    complaining
    that they can't keep up.

    That used to be me! And now my knees are ruined. Luckily I can de-ruin
    them by raising the saddle to the right height, spinning and not pressing
    too hard. And keeping my knees warm.

    Erik Sandblom

    --
    Oil is for sissies

  5. Martin Bulmer said:

    I've just gone back to using high gears after twiddling for about 2 years.
    I'm going a lot faster, I'm not as tired, and I'm getting maximum breeze for
    minimum movement. The down side is that my fellow cyclists are complaining
    that they can't keep up.

    But what's your actual cadence, before and after? If you spin the lower
    gears proportionately faster you go just as fast and can go on for
    longer because it stays in the aerobic zone. You might get "minimum
    movement" but you have to press that much harder so you're not doing any
    less work.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  6. Mr R@t (2.30zi) said:

    "Peter Fox" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    message

    Quoted message said:

    [5] If you know what "ffrr" is then you're older than I thought!

    lots of the young'uns *do...*

    That brand was revived in the late 80s/early 90s by Pete Tong to release
    various dance music tunes, Orbital being one of their best known artists
    from that time.

    Not forgetting Asian Dub Foundation.
    But who is Peter Tong?
    http://www.markovich-amp.com/audio/MARKOVICHAMP-Who_is_Peter.mp3
    (sorry about the shameless self-promotion, but there ain't often
    threads that mix what I like doing, oh and the track "Insane" is about
    riding bikes around in traffic)

    Quoted message said:

    Coming back (slightly) on topic that may explain why (on the rare occasions
    I listen to music whilst riding [1]) I tend to prefer drum and bass and
    hardcore breaks, which have a BPM range of 150-170..

    Bit down-tempo & chilled-out, then: I just calculated than when I max
    out at 62kph downhill on the fixer, that's 200bpm. Now where's my Moby
    Voodoo Child album - that'll be me doing 192mph...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.