rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Q factor clear up?

Started by skrobo · · Last activity · 26 posts · 310 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
28 September 2007
Last activity
30 September 2007
Original author
skrobo
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
310
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–26 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm going to stick with Sheldon, even if that wasn't actually him
    posting. Note it was not a forum user, it came in through the
    newsgroup. He's old-school.

    Naturally nobody will try to tell you what to call things in your local
    area. But for here, where we can't gesture with our arms when
    explaining things, it's different. I think "tread" is a much more
    easy-to-explain, and reference, term to use when we're talking about
    the overall width between your pedals.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss
    Email: "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com
    -----------------------------------------------

    "pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
    weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
    of view
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64527

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  2. johnfoss said:

    I'm going to stick with Sheldon, even if that wasn't actually him
    posting. Note it was not a forum user, it came in through the
    newsgroup. He's old-school.

    Naturally nobody will try to tell you what to call things in your local
    area. But for here, where we can't gesture with our arms when
    explaining things, it's different. I think "tread" is a much more
    easy-to-explain, and reference, term to use when we're talking about
    the overall width between your pedals.

    Offset it good. * / *

    --
    MuniAddict

    "On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
    man."😉

    My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

    My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64527

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  3. Offset it good. **\ 😄*
    *

    --
    MuniAddict

    "On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
    man."😉

    My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

    My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuniAddict's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12920
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64527

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  4. Sheldon Brown said:

    But I don't! I don't like to use that term because it has two
    different meanings!

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_q.html#qfactor

    Sheldon "Tread" Brown

    I don't like the term "Tread" because it has two meanings!
    Tire tread being the more obvious.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_tp-z.html#tread

    Offset also has another meaning
    http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_n-o.html#offset

    jim

    --
    Jim
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9416
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64527

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  5. Q factor is what it is
    offset is what it is.
    enough said? NO
    but I'm dropping it because the word tread is stupid, i'm being really
    base and saying Q factor because it sounds cooler, and why bother
    changing the part that is already right AND is the way everyone uses
    it.

    --
    skrobo

    Quoted message said:

    <> Unicycle For Christ <><


    'my video!' (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58465)
    ____________________________________________
    -last edited by \"elvisunifreak\" at 8:35 pm -
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/64527

    Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.usenet.com

  6. Quoth Jerrick:

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > ("Tread" in this sense is sometimes referred to as "Q-factor."😉

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So lets call it Q-Factor likeSheldon Browndoes.

    I replied:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    But I don't! I don't like to use that term because it has two
    different meanings!

    Quoted message said:

    See:http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_q.html#qfactor

    Quoted message said:

    That post was more tongue-in-cheek than serious.

    Oh, that's the problem!

    Sorry, it went right over my head, I have no sense of humor whatever,
    I'm afraid.

    Quoted message said:

    I hear q-factor being used way more than tread though. To be honest,
    when John posted that link, that is the first time to see the other
    definition of q-factor and the definitions of tread.

    Around where I live, at the LBS and with local riders, everyone says
    q-factor, so it just seems more common to say q-factor instead of
    tread. Maybe just where I live.

    I'm afraid you're right, and in practice I never write "tread" in that
    context without adding "Q factor" parenthetically, 'cause the term
    "tread" in this sense has mostly gone extinct, and I like for folks to
    understand what I'm writing about.

    I have more important linguistic battles to fight anyway, like the one
    against "crank arm" and the pervasive misuse of the term "platform
    pedal."

    Sheldon "Humorless Pedant" Brown
    +-----------------------------------------+
    | Man invented language to satisfy his |
    | deep need to complain. -- Lily Tomlin |
    +-----------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com
    Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    http://sheldonbrown.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.