Query for the Rohloff gurus

Steve Hodgson

Guest
Would I be correct in my assumption that a new Rohloff hub comes
pre-filled with oil?
--
Cheers,

Steve

The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

Steve Hodgson wrote:
> Would I be correct in my assumption that a new Rohloff hub comes
> pre-filled with oil?

NO! Comes with oil in a bottle, which, for some, is a bit of a clue.

However, I know someone who didn't fill it, and after a few hundred k's
didn't seem to do it any harm.

Steve Hodgson wrote:
> Would I be correct in my assumption that a new Rohloff hub comes
> pre-filled with oil?

Every hub comes with a rather large notice in 4 languages printed on red
saying the hub should be filled with oil prior to use, but you don't
have to believe everything you see printed ;)

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

On 2006-11-24 19:49:40 +0000, the well-named Tosspot
<[email protected]> said:

> Steve Hodgson wrote:
>> Would I be correct in my assumption that a new Rohloff hub comes
>> pre-filled with oil?

> NO! Comes with oil in a bottle, which, for some, is a bit of a clue.

Spare?

Thanks.
--

Steve Hodgson wrote:
> On 2006-11-24 19:49:40 +0000, the well-named Tosspot
> <[email protected]> said:
>
>> Steve Hodgson wrote:
>>
>>> Would I be correct in my assumption that a new Rohloff hub comes
>>> pre-filled with oil?

>> NO! Comes with oil in a bottle, which, for some, is a bit of a clue.

> Spare?

*snort* This was what rider of said unfilled hub said. I dunno, the
instructions say to fill it as well. However, it doesn't seem to bother
them that much. I stronlgly suspect my trike was either not filled or
underfilled, since I didn't get the requisite amount out.

Tosspot <[email protected]> writes:

> Steve Hodgson wrote:
>> On 2006-11-24 19:49:40 +0000, the well-named Tosspot
>> <[email protected]> said:

>>> NO! Comes with oil in a bottle, which, for some, is a bit of a clue.

>> Spare?

> *snort* This was what rider of said unfilled hub said. I dunno, the
> instructions say to fill it as well. However, it doesn't seem to
> bother them that much. I stronlgly suspect my trike was either not
> filled or underfilled, since I didn't get the requisite amount out.

Which reminds me - mine is overdue for changing. Does anyone know what
kind of oil is required? I know rohloff sell stuff specifically for
the purpose, but presumably this is just repackaged generic oil of
some particular kind?

Tosspot wrote:

> *snort* This was what rider of said unfilled hub said. I dunno, the
> instructions say to fill it as well. However, it doesn't seem to bother
> them that much. I stronlgly suspect my trike was either not filled or
> underfilled, since I didn't get the requisite amount out.

Did you use the flushing oil? (which I strongly suspect to be parrafin)

--
---

Paul Rudin wrote:

> Which reminds me - mine is overdue for changing. Does anyone know what
> kind of oil is required? I know rohloff sell stuff specifically for
> the purpose, but presumably this is just repackaged generic oil of
> some particular kind?

Unlikely, as I understand it is is a special concoction made for Rohloff
by Klueber

--
---

M-gineering wrote:
> Tosspot wrote:
>
>> *snort* This was what rider of said unfilled hub said. I dunno, the
>> instructions say to fill it as well. However, it doesn't seem to
>> bother them that much. I stronlgly suspect my trike was either not
>> filled or underfilled, since I didn't get the requisite amount out.

> Did you use the flushing oil? (which I strongly suspect to be parrafin)

Yep, and more importantly, I also changed the oil in a hub I filled
myself. In comparison, the one I filled produced more than the one the
bike shop 'filled'. But now I *know* they both have the right amont in
them.

Parafin eh? Could be, I doubt there's anything special about the
flushing oil. They do go on about the gear oil though. Looks like it
has a ton of graphite in it.

"Steve Hodgson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Would I be correct in my assumption that a new Rohloff hub comes
> pre-filled with oil?
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Steve
>
> The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
> Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

Hi,

I checked today with Thorn Cycles.

All their bikes fitted with Rohloff hubs are prefilled ( and you can buy the
next years "oil change" as part of your initial buy)
The hubs bought for retro fitting come empty -- with the oil in a bottle!

Hope that helps!
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

On 2006-11-25 21:17:06 +0000, "Pinky" <[email protected]> said:

> "Steve Hodgson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Would I be correct in my assumption that a new Rohloff hub comes
>> pre-filled with oil?
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
>> Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk
>>

> Hi,
>
> I checked today with Thorn Cycles.
>
> All their bikes fitted with Rohloff hubs are prefilled ( and you can
> buy the next years "oil change" as part of your initial buy)
> The hubs bought for retro fitting come empty -- with the oil in a bottle!

Thanks for checking.