I got my bike not too long ago and it seems like the gearing is suited for really steep hills. It's a compact crankset and I want to switch out the gears for more speed on the flats. The thing is, I was told that I have 110mm chainrings but I have not been able to find any on the net. Could I just buy the whole crankset (with chainrings) and use it with my exisiting equipment?
I saw this cheap buy on the main page of Nashbar. It's the one with 53x39 chainrings for $40. My LBC quoted me $100 for the chainrings (2) w/ installation but he has to special order it....but the one @ Nashbar is $40 and includes an entire crankset assembly.
I'm really looking to get better gearing because it seems like I want to shift into another gear for even more speed when I'm in the highest one already.
I got my bike not too long ago and it seems like the gearing is suited for really steep hills. It's a compact crankset and I want to switch out the gears for more speed on the flats. The thing is, I was told that I have 110mm chainrings but I have not been able to find any on the net. Could I just buy the whole crankset (with chainrings) and use it with my exisiting equipment?
I saw this cheap buy on the main page of Nashbar. It's the one with 53x39 chainrings for $40. My LBC quoted me $100 for the chainrings (2) w/ installation but he has to special order it....but the one @ Nashbar is $40 and includes an entire crankset assembly.
I'm really looking to get better gearing because it seems like I want to shift into another gear for even more speed when I'm in the highest one already.
Smaller cogs at the back might be a better solution. Also spinning faster, what's your cadence?
What range does your cassette cover? An 11/23 cassette with a 50/34 compact crankset actually gives you a higher gear than a 53 x 12, if I'm not mistaken (or at least real close). This is probably easier to do than changing out a crankset, especially to a real low end one. Also, 110mm BCD chainrings are readily available from many manufacturers, as this is standard compact sizing. Getting a new cassette would be cheaper and easier.
Just one piece of advice, if you end up buying a new crankset, make sure your new crank is compatable with your current bottom bracket (i.e. if your current crank is made for a square taper BB, then make sure you buy a square taper crank), otherwise you'll have to swap out your BB as well.
All I want is a higher gearing because it seems like I could be going a faster(max speed) with the right gearing. Come to think of it, I never even used the smaller cog on the chainring, even when I'm pedaling up an incline. I don't know what my cadence is, it just feels like I can't go any faster when I'm sprinting or going down in incline with the gearing I've got. I don't know what is the cheapest way to go about doing this but my LBC suggested that he order a 52/39 chainring for me.
All I want is a higher gearing because it seems like I could be going a faster(max speed) with the right gearing. Come to think of it, I never even used the smaller cog on the chainring, even when I'm pedaling up an incline. I don't know what my cadence is, it just feels like I can't go any faster when I'm sprinting or going down in incline with the gearing I've got. I don't know what is the cheapest way to go about doing this but my LBC suggested that he order a 52/39 chainring for me.
I would suggest that changing the cassette for one with an 11 tooth sprocket would be a better way to go. Also practice spinning, most people rely too much on gears and not enough on technique. This could be your problem.
I would suggest taking a look at your cadence. A general rule of thumb is that the optimal cadence is around 85-95 rpm. Try to aim for that and see what happens. A lot of people think they need higher gears, when they're only spinning at 50-60 rpm at their highest gear - and spinning at higher cadences is really the solution, not higher gears.
If you can spin out a 50 x 12 on a flat, then you would be riding with Lance's team, and not shopping for bikes on ebay. Get the bike and ride it before you make upgrades that you think will make you faster, as this simply isn't one of them. 🙄