Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Question about wheel with new spokes and rim

Started by Bill Sornson · · Last activity · 11 posts · 344 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
5 May 2005
Last activity
8 May 2005
Original author
Bill Sornson
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
344
Views / 30 days
4

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Derk said:

    Hi,

    Your clock is fast.

    No help with the wheel question, Bill

  2. Hi,

    I have one last question before I go on vacation.I had my Ultegra 36 spokes
    CXP 33 wheelset repaired: new spokes and a new rim were installed. Th
    efirst ride all went fine, but today, after chasing some cyclists over a
    few hill here, I heard noise that was very probably caused by the new
    spokes. It wasn't the obvious "ping" you hear when you ride away with a new
    wheel, but I heard it especially when climbing or cycling against the
    strong wind. I heard it louder when out of the saddle and moving the bike
    from left to right while cycling in a straight line (as if you climb a
    mountain "en danseuse"😉.

    I felt the spoke tension on the side opposite the body by pulling 2 spokes
    that crosss towards each other with 2 fingers and I felt there were
    differences in tension. My questions:

    Is this the likely cause of the noise?
    Would it be a good idea after retightening to use a drop of loctite?

    Thanks again for your help.

    Greetings, Derk

  3. Bill Sornson wrote:

    Better like this, Bill?

    Thanks!

    Greetings, Derk

  4. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    I have one last question before I go on vacation.I had my Ultegra 36 spokes
    CXP 33 wheelset repaired: new spokes and a new rim were installed. Th
    efirst ride all went fine, but today, after chasing some cyclists over a
    few hill here, I heard noise that was very probably caused by the new
    spokes. It wasn't the obvious "ping" you hear when you ride away with a new
    wheel, but I heard it especially when climbing or cycling against the
    strong wind. I heard it louder when out of the saddle and moving the bike
    from left to right while cycling in a straight line (as if you climb a
    mountain "en danseuse"😉.

    I felt the spoke tension on the side opposite the body by pulling 2 spokes
    that crosss towards each other with 2 fingers and I felt there were
    differences in tension. My questions:

    Is this the likely cause of the noise?
    Would it be a good idea after retightening to use a drop of loctite?

    Loctite, no. Retighten, yes, but let the person you paid do it right. This
    assumes that they know what they are doing. Somehow I would not be very
    confident of this if they let an unevenly tenstioned wheel get to a customer.
    The noise you may be hearing is the brake pads rubbing against the rim.
    --------------
    Alex

  5. Alex Rodriguez said:

    Retighten, yes, but let the person you paid do it right.


    The strange thing is that this guy has a good reputation for building
    wheels. He did it for 20 years in the LBS I normally go to and now does it
    at his home...

    Quoted message said:

    This assumes that they know what they are doing. Somehow I would not be
    very confident of this if they let an unevenly tenstioned wheel get to a
    customer.


    I can just tell by pulling 2 crossed spokes together that tension is not the
    same everywhere.

    Would you rather take it to the LBS and have them do the retightening? And
    will retightening solve the problem?

    Greetings, Derk

  6. On Thu, 05 May 2005 20:53:39 +0200, Derk <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    I have one last question before I go on vacation.I had my Ultegra 36 spokes
    CXP 33 wheelset repaired: new spokes and a new rim were installed. Th
    efirst ride all went fine, but today, after chasing some cyclists over a
    few hill here, I heard noise that was very probably caused by the new
    spokes. It wasn't the obvious "ping" you hear when you ride away with a new
    wheel, but I heard it especially when climbing or cycling against the
    strong wind. I heard it louder when out of the saddle and moving the bike
    from left to right while cycling in a straight line (as if you climb a
    mountain "en danseuse"😉.

    I felt the spoke tension on the side opposite the body by pulling 2 spokes
    that crosss towards each other with 2 fingers and I felt there were
    differences in tension. My questions:

    Non-drive-side rear? Not unusual.

    Quoted message said:

    Is this the likely cause of the noise?

    If it's a once-per-rotation ping, a tiny drop of oil at each spoke
    nipple will probably quiet it down.

    Quoted message said:

    Would it be a good idea after retightening to use a drop of loctite?

    No.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  7. Derk said:

    Hi,

    I have one last question before I go on vacation.I had my Ultegra 36 spokes
    CXP 33 wheelset repaired: new spokes and a new rim were installed. Th
    efirst ride all went fine, but today, after chasing some cyclists over a
    few hill here, I heard noise that was very probably caused by the new
    spokes. It wasn't the obvious "ping" you hear when you ride away with a new
    wheel, but I heard it especially when climbing or cycling against the
    strong wind. I heard it louder when out of the saddle and moving the bike
    from left to right while cycling in a straight line (as if you climb a
    mountain "en danseuse"😉.

    I felt the spoke tension on the side opposite the body by pulling 2 spokes
    that crosss towards each other with 2 fingers and I felt there were
    differences in tension. My questions:

    Is this the likely cause of the noise?
    Would it be a good idea after retightening to use a drop of loctite?

    Thanks again for your help.

    Greetings, Derk


    Spoke tension on all the left side spokes should be the same. If they wheel wasn't properly tensioned you will get movement and possibly have spokes nipples that will unwind and things get worse from their.
    You know about "the Bicycle Wheel" by Jobst Brandt.

  8. Derk said:

    Hi,

    I have one last question before I go on vacation.I had my Ultegra 36


    spokes

    Quoted message said:

    CXP 33 wheelset repaired: new spokes and a new rim were installed. Th
    efirst ride all went fine, but today, after chasing some cyclists


    over a

    Quoted message said:

    few hill here, I heard noise that was very probably caused by the new
    spokes. It wasn't the obvious "ping" you hear when you ride away with


    a new

    Quoted message said:

    wheel,

    You should never hear this on a new wheel. If it is properly buult,
    with all the windup out of the spokes, it should be silent.

    but I heard it especially when climbing or cycling against the

    Quoted message said:

    strong wind. I heard it louder when out of the saddle and moving the


    bike

    Quoted message said:

    from left to right while cycling in a straight line (as if you climb


    a

    Quoted message said:

    mountain "en danseuse"😉.

    I felt the spoke tension on the side opposite the body by pulling 2


    spokes

    Quoted message said:

    that crosss towards each other with 2 fingers and I felt there were
    differences in tension. My questions:

    Is this the likely cause of the noise?
    Would it be a good idea after retightening to use a drop of loctite?

    I suspect the tension is low. Correct right side tension on a new rim
    means proper left side tension.

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks again for your help.

    Greetings, Derk

  9. Derk said:

    I just went to see my LBS and they tensioned all spokes. According to


    them,

    Quoted message said:

    the spokes weren't tensioned enough by the person who built the


    wheel, but

    Quoted message said:

    in principle the wheel was well built. The last step of the wheel


    building

    Quoted message said:

    process hadn't been carried out so to say: none of the spokes had


    enough

    Quoted message said:

    tension.

    I used the wheel for about 100 km's before the spokes were properly
    tensioned. Will the spokes have suffered form this?

    Greetings, Derk

    Probably not any problem with the spokes or rim...

  10. Derk said:

    I just went to see my LBS and they tensioned all spokes. According
    to them, the spokes weren't tensioned enough by the person who built
    the wheel, but in principle the wheel was well built. The last step
    of the wheel building process hadn't been carried out so to say:
    none of the spokes had enough tension.

    Quoted message said:

    I used the wheel for about 100 km's before the spokes were properly
    tensioned. Will the spokes have suffered form this?

    No. What may affect spoke life is whether or not they were stress
    relieved after tnesioning.

    [email hidden]

  11. Derk said:

    Hi,

    I have one last question before I go on vacation.I had my Ultegra 36 spokes
    CXP 33 wheelset repaired: new spokes and a new rim were installed. Th
    efirst ride all went fine, but today, after chasing some cyclists over a
    few hill here, I heard noise that was very probably caused by the new
    spokes. It wasn't the obvious "ping" you hear when you ride away with a new
    wheel

    Not a *good* new wheel!

    , but I heard it especially when climbing or cycling against the

    Quoted message said:

    strong wind. I heard it louder when out of the saddle and moving the bike
    from left to right while cycling in a straight line (as if you climb a
    mountain "en danseuse"😉.

    One loose spoke can cause this, especially the noise when the bike leans
    to one side. I once had a single spoke come inexplicably loose on a
    shop-built wheel.

    Quoted message said:

    I felt the spoke tension on the side opposite the body by pulling 2 spokes
    that crosss towards each other with 2 fingers and I felt there were
    differences in tension. My questions:

    Is this the likely cause of the noise?

    Yes, but something is probably *very* loose to cause this. I would take
    it back to the shop and have them slacken the whole thing off and
    retension it properly.

    Quoted message said:

    Would it be a good idea after retightening to use a drop of loctite?

    It's not necessary or advisable.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.