Road Cycling · Public discussion

Question for the group about gene therapy/doping--

Started by Jean S. Barto · · Last activity · 7 posts · 341 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
8 August 2006
Last activity
8 August 2006
Original author
Jean S. Barto
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
341
Views / 30 days
2

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi folks--

    Here's an hypothetical issue I've thought about lately, especially since the
    news about Floyd Landis--

    If an athlete embarked on a gene-altering/splicing regimen, such as an
    introduction (via a virus carrier), of a gene mutation that would increase
    their levels of testosterone, or RBCs, or mitochondria, would the increase
    of these substances/cells/hormones be detectable via current testing
    procedures, and, would these changes also test as being due to a
    forced/introduced mutation?

    I would think that the tests would need to look for evidence of the virus
    used as the gene carrier, and that current testing methods (that we know of,
    anyway) might not be able to see the molecular differences between
    mitochondria (or testosterone) *before* the introduction of the beneficial
    gene mutation, as compared to after.

    However, I would think that the DNA sequence changes in the athlete *could*
    be detected with current technology, and perhaps this type of testing is
    being developed, or perhaps has even been conducted, on Landis' suspect
    Stage 17 samples.

    Anyone else here care to chime in on this? I recall reading an article
    about "gene doping" on the NY Times website earlier this year, perhaps
    before or during the Torino Winter Olympics, that discussed this very issue.

    Jean in VA, who at first believed Landis, but now isn't so sure.

  2. "Jean S. Barto" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi folks--

    Here's an hypothetical issue I've thought about lately, especially since


    the

    Quoted message said:

    news about Floyd Landis--

    If an athlete embarked on a gene-altering/splicing regimen, such as an
    introduction (via a virus carrier), of a gene mutation that would increase
    their levels of testosterone, or RBCs, or mitochondria, would the increase
    of these substances/cells/hormones be detectable via current testing
    procedures, and, would these changes also test as being due to a
    forced/introduced mutation?

    I would think that the tests would need to look for evidence of the virus
    used as the gene carrier, and that current testing methods (that we know


    of,

    Quoted message said:

    anyway) might not be able to see the molecular differences between
    mitochondria (or testosterone) *before* the introduction of the beneficial
    gene mutation, as compared to after.

    However, I would think that the DNA sequence changes in the athlete


    *could*

    Quoted message said:

    be detected with current technology, and perhaps this type of testing is
    being developed, or perhaps has even been conducted, on Landis' suspect
    Stage 17 samples.

    I understand that they need to have a record of each athlete's DNA. But
    what if his DNA is altered before a sample is taken? I guess they could
    identify known modifications, and what about new, unknown ones...

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone else here care to chime in on this? I recall reading an article
    about "gene doping" on the NY Times website earlier this year, perhaps
    before or during the Torino Winter Olympics, that discussed this very


    issue.

    Did you see 60 Minutes last night, too? That was interesting, but an early
    death by cancer for a TdF win seems like a bad deal. I'd rather be a nobody
    than to die a young, famous athlete.


  3. Quoted message said:


    Did you see 60 Minutes last night, too? That was interesting, but an


    early

    Quoted message said:

    death by cancer for a TdF win seems like a bad deal. I'd rather be a


    nobody

    Quoted message said:

    than to die a young, famous athlete.


    Back in the day, I remember a well known survey that showed an high number
    of elite athletes would take an undetectable drug if it would get them an
    Olympic gold. This was against the backdrop that it could kill them in 5 -
    10 years. Saying that the Gold medal was worth it.

  4. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Jean in VA, who at first believed Landis, but now isn't so sure.


    _

    Not sure? C'mon....

    Yeah, I got a laugh out of this too. Linford Christie apparently said that
    if an athlete were caught with a needle in his arm, he'd say "someone threw it".

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  5. "Steve" <h90943@hotmaildotcom> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Did you see 60 Minutes last night, too? That was interesting, but an


    early

    Quoted message said:

    death by cancer for a TdF win seems like a bad deal. I'd rather be a


    nobody

    Quoted message said:

    than to die a young, famous athlete.


    Back in the day, I remember a well known survey that showed an high number
    of elite athletes would take an undetectable drug if it would get them an
    Olympic gold. This was against the backdrop that it could kill them in 5 -
    10 years. Saying that the Gold medal was worth it.

    Yes, I know of this as well and your point is taken.

  6. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Even Lance Armstrong is known as the "Teflon Doper", remember LA
    Confidential?
    http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/6295.0.html

    Landis though is the dumbest doper in history. Did you see him on CNN
    2 weeks ago admit that night after stage 16 he "had some beers and Jack
    Daniels".

    After his comments from Monday I am not sure that he even drank any Jack
    Daniels. From MSNBC.com:

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14222191/

    "On Monday Landis protested his innocence on TV in the United States, saying
    that his initial explanations for the positive test -- including drinking
    whisky the night before -- were the result of suggestions from other
    people."

    Does his statement mean that he didn't drink whiskey or that he did but
    wasn't happy that he offered it as a potential excuse?

  7. Steve said:
    Quoted message said:


    Did you see 60 Minutes last night, too? That was interesting, but an


    early

    Quoted message said:

    death by cancer for a TdF win seems like a bad deal. I'd rather be a


    nobody

    Quoted message said:

    than to die a young, famous athlete.


    Back in the day, I remember a well known survey that showed an high number
    of elite athletes would take an undetectable drug if it would get them an
    Olympic gold. This was against the backdrop that it could kill them in 5 -
    10 years. Saying that the Gold medal was worth it.

    Dumbass -

    It was 3 years.

    thanks,

    K. Gringioni.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.