General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Question for Will. "Fat Fasts"

Started by OmManiPadmeOmelet · · Last activity · 22 posts · 689 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
26 April 2005
Last activity
28 April 2005
Original author
OmManiPadmeOmelet
Posts
22
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
689
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–22 of 22
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    :: In article <[email hidden]>,
    :: "Roger Zoul" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    ::
    ::: OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    ::::: In article <[email hidden]>,
    ::
    :: <snipped>
    :::::
    ::::: So is eating just fat encourages the body to burn more body fat,
    ::::: but how?
    ::::: Why does it work better than a total fast?
    :::
    ::: I would not say 'eating fat encourages the body to burn more
    ::: fat'......but eating mostly fat (like on a FF) means your fuel
    ::: systems will need to rely more heavily (almost exclusively) on the
    ::: fat burning pathways....rather than carb burning pathways...once
    ::: you get shifted over, and you undereat, your body is primed for
    ::: using fat as fuel. So it attacks bodyfat. This works really well
    ::: for the IR, though, because those carbs really can screw you up....
    ::
    :: That's kinda what I thought, but was curious about the metabolic
    :: mechanisms if you know what I mean, or does anyone really know?
    :: I HAVE tried to do some searches but I might not be asking Google
    :: the
    :: right questions.
    ::

    I don't think anyone other than Atkins has ever recommended the FF. I have
    not heard of any research finding on it. Most would not take it seriously,
    I don't think. It is rather extreme, if you ask me. But probably no more so
    than a PSMF.

    :::
    ::: At least, that's my understanding...go ask over at ASDLC.
    ::
    :: ??? ASDLC ???

    Sorry. alt.support.diet.low-carb.

    ::
    :::
    ::: Oh...I still don't believe the FF works better than straight
    ::: fasting...even though I'm not disputing your experience...I'm just
    ::: suggesting it's hard to make conclusive statements from the
    ::: experiences of one person....
    ::
    :: I won't argue with that... ;-)
    ::
    :: I'm wondering if anyone else has ever fooled with it?

    Some over on ASDLC have.

    ::
    :: One major difference I noted between the two is that MOST of the
    :: weight
    :: lost from a total fast comes back. This did not happen with a fat
    :: fast.
    :: I imagine that a good part of that was intestinal weight.

    ?? If you really lose bodyfat, then it won't come back unless you overeat.
    I'd never do a total fast for 7 days, though. But I could do 1500 kcals of
    LC for 7 days. I think it would work just as well as a FF for that length,
    adjusting for calories.

    ::
    :: But again, I'm only one person.
    ::
    :: I doubt that you'd get many volunteers for starvation studies. <G>

    If you pay me enough, I might try for 36 hours 🙂

  2. Roger Zoul said:


    I don't think anyone other than Atkins has ever recommended the FF.
    I have not heard of any research finding on it. Most would not take
    it seriously, I don't think. It is rather extreme, if you ask me.
    But probably no more so than a PSMF.

    Hypocaloric, high-protein diets are nothing new in the world of crash
    dieting. Google "stillman diet." During my teens, back in the early
    1970s, I lost quite a bit of fat in a short period of time by using
    that method.

    Kneller's Fat Fast applied a higher percentage of fat than contemplated
    by the Stillman Diet, although a higher fat content does tend to sneak
    in when consuming nothing but high-protein foods. From my
    understanding of it, McDonald's Protein-Sparing Modified Fast adds some
    vegetables with only a minor contribution of digestible carbohydrates;
    the additional fiber is a good idea, and the insulinogenic response is
    likely to be minimal.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.