Question Of Sprinting

Zeratul_182

Jul 2, 2004
Started road riding about 9 months ago now, convert from mountain biking. I weigh 92kg and am officially the worlds worst climber - there are 95 year old women who could get up hills faster than me.

Anyway, question I wanted to ask, was that so far as sprinting is concerned, I can top out at 63.4kph or 39.6mph on a flat bit of road without any form of lead out. Is this any good? I was told it was relatively quick, and that I should consider track sprinting of some sort, just want a second opinion.

Also, what kind of speed do the pro's top out at? thanks in advance.

Tim

That is a pretty good speed to reach on the flats. Track may be for you. At least you won't have to deal with any hills.

I think pro sprinters can reach at least 40+ mph, possibly even 50s (that may be high) on finish line sprints.

hey they have actually radared one of the pro spinters hitting 56 mph. Now i think that is flyin. No hills eithier.

hey they have actually radared one of the pro spinters hitting 56 mph. Now i think that is flyin. No hills eithier to go down. just solid sprint

It's difficult to judge sprint performance outdoors. I can hit 60 km/hr on a hydrid without aerobars but I try and do it with zero tailwind. Dependigng on the wind, this can help or hinder you a large amount. Sprinting into a 25 km/hr headwind will result in slowness, but a 25 km/hr tailwind may allow you to come up to 80+ km/hr. Even a crosswind will detract from performance as it pushes sideways on your bike, forcing the rider to counter that force.

63 km/hr sounds really good if wind was calm.