Question on Revo Shifters

Steven & Shelle

Guest
Hello

I'm a complete bike novice and am looking at buying a reliable hybrid bike for my 11yo daughter in
the $400-ish (australian) price range. Most bikes 've seen in this price range feature the Shimano
Revo shifters (twist-grip). A friend tells me to avoid these like the plague as he claims they sieze-
up. Can anyone confirm this?

So far we've looked at:
- Gitane Escape;
- Malvern Star Bayside;
- Raleigh C700; and
- Giant Cypress SE and Elwood SE Any recommendations? Is there another brand/model we should be
looking at? Any advice on brands and components would be much appreciated.

Many thanks SS

There's a Giant hybrid or comfort bike out there with push-button shifters, an ergonomic seat, mixte
frame, rigid fork, and matching dark red everything for about US $200. Probably a previous model
year. You will often get value on these type of bikes from Giant, Jamis, and Fuji, among others. But
as is often said here, shop for a bike shop as well as a bike.

I would avoid front suspension if possible, it's more trouble than it's worth on these bikes. As for
the twist grip shifters, they will probably wear out if she rides a lot, though if she rides only
occasionally it will take a while. A crankset where you can change the rings, that is not riveted
together, would be a nice thing to have, though you may have trouble finding one on a stock hybrid.
A cassette rear hub as opposed to a freewheel would also be something to look for.

-Bruce-

news:[email protected]...