General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

question regarding bacon arrangement on BLT

Started by blAndy · · Last activity · 55 posts · 376 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
7 June 2007
Last activity
11 June 2007
Original author
blAndy
Posts
55
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
376
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 55
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I just enjoyed a luncheon consisting of a BLT sandwich and it occurred
    to me, what is the optimal configuration for the strips of bacon on a BLT?

    There are a few possibilities, from what I can tell... one would be in
    parallel, all the strips lined up next to each other. Another would be a
    sort of cross-hatch pattern. A third possibility would involve abstract
    expressionist randomness... possibly requiring the decomposition of
    strips into smaller pieces.

    This might be a good survey question for the r.f.c site. 🙂

  2. blAndy said:

    I just enjoyed a luncheon consisting of a BLT sandwich and it occurred
    to me, what is the optimal configuration for the strips of bacon on a BLT?

    There are a few possibilities, from what I can tell... one would be in
    parallel, all the strips lined up next to each other. Another would be a
    sort of cross-hatch pattern. A third possibility would involve abstract
    expressionist randomness... possibly requiring the decomposition of
    strips into smaller pieces.

    This might be a good survey question for the r.f.c site. 🙂

    Dude, you have way to much free time on your hands.

  3. "blAndy" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I just enjoyed a luncheon consisting of a BLT sandwich and it occurred
    to me, what is the optimal configuration for the strips of bacon on a BLT?

    There are a few possibilities, from what I can tell... one would be in
    parallel, all the strips lined up next to each other. Another would be a
    sort of cross-hatch pattern. A third possibility would involve abstract
    expressionist randomness... possibly requiring the decomposition of
    strips into smaller pieces.

    This might be a good survey question for the r.f.c site. 🙂

    How long have you been retired?

  4. blAndy said:


    I just enjoyed a luncheon consisting of a BLT sandwich and it occurred
    to me, what is the optimal configuration for the strips of bacon on a BLT?

    There are a few possibilities, from what I can tell... one would be in
    parallel, all the strips lined up next to each other. Another would be a
    sort of cross-hatch pattern. A third possibility would involve abstract
    expressionist randomness... possibly requiring the decomposition of
    strips into smaller pieces.

    This might be a good survey question for the r.f.c site. 🙂

    How about a BLT with peameal bacon. One nice big slab would fill the entire
    thing and you wouldn't have to waste time fretting :-)

  5. Dave Smith said:
    blAndy said:

    I just enjoyed a luncheon consisting of a BLT sandwich and it occurred
    to me, what is the optimal configuration for the strips of bacon on a BLT?

    There are a few possibilities, from what I can tell... one would be in
    parallel, all the strips lined up next to each other. Another would be a
    sort of cross-hatch pattern. A third possibility would involve abstract
    expressionist randomness... possibly requiring the decomposition of
    strips into smaller pieces.

    This might be a good survey question for the r.f.c site. 🙂

    How about a BLT with peameal bacon. One nice big slab would fill the entire
    thing and you wouldn't have to waste time fretting :-)

    I'll be more concern as to how to arrange the lettuce and rather or not
    to place the tomatoes upside down.

  6. Quoted message said:
    Dave Smith said:
    blAndy said:

    I just enjoyed a luncheon consisting of a BLT sandwich and it occurred
    to me, what is the optimal configuration for the strips of bacon on a BLT?

    There are a few possibilities, from what I can tell... one would be in
    parallel, all the strips lined up next to each other. Another would be a
    sort of cross-hatch pattern. A third possibility would involve abstract
    expressionist randomness... possibly requiring the decomposition of
    strips into smaller pieces.

    This might be a good survey question for the r.f.c site. 🙂

    How about a BLT with peameal bacon. One nice big slab would fill the entire
    thing and you wouldn't have to waste time fretting :-)

    I'll be more concern as to how to arrange the lettuce and rather or not
    to place the tomatoes upside down.

    These are things I've given consideration to, but have not yet
    had time to formulate the questions properly. I'm a very busy man.

    As for peameal bacon, that takes all the fun out of it. :-)

  7. Scott said:
    Dave Smith said:
    blAndy said:

    I just enjoyed a luncheon consisting of a BLT sandwich and it occurred
    to me, what is the optimal configuration for the strips of bacon on a BLT?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    There are a few possibilities, from what I can tell... one would be in
    parallel, all the strips lined up next to each other. Another would be a
    sort of cross-hatch pattern. A third possibility would involve abstract
    expressionist randomness... possibly requiring the decomposition of
    strips into smaller pieces.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    This might be a good survey question for the r.f.c site. 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    How about a BLT with peameal bacon. One nice big slab would fill the entire
    thing and you wouldn't have to waste time fretting :-)

    I'll be more concern as to how to arrange the lettuce and rather or not
    to place the tomatoes upside down

    Who give's a rat's b-hind how the bacon is arranged, so long as
    there's a lot. Gotta be cheap white bread, gotta be toasted, gotta
    have mayo on both halves, lettuce gotta be iceberg.

    Sheldon

  8. Scott wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I'll be more concern as to how to arrange the lettuce and rather or
    not to place the tomatoes upside down.

    I'm curious as to whether one adds cauces or other dressings to a BLT.
    Is it the norm?
    --
    Vilco
    Think pink, drink rose'

  9. Sheldon said:

    Who give's a rat's b-hind how the bacon is arranged, so long as
    there's a lot. Gotta be cheap white bread, gotta be toasted, gotta
    have mayo on both halves, lettuce gotta be iceberg.

    Why would you make a good sandwich on cheap bread? Really good bread can be
    the best part of a sandwich because it is so good that anything else is
    just a bonus. It seems a shame to waste good bacon and good tomatoes on
    crappy bread.

  10. "Vilco" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Dave Smith wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Who give's a rat's b-hind how the bacon is arranged, so long as
    there's a lot. Gotta be cheap white bread, gotta be toasted, gotta
    have mayo on both halves, lettuce gotta be iceberg.

    Quoted message said:

    Why would you make a good sandwich on cheap bread?

    Maybe because cheap bread literally "wraps" around it's content, as
    the pedestal of a statue?
    --
    Vilco
    Think pink, drink rose'

    It has to be toasted, though. No wrapping. Sheldon's right. Gotta be cheap
    white bread. Serves as a nice counterpoint to the inner ingedients, like
    plain crackers with fabulous cheese.

  11. Dave Smith wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Who give's a rat's b-hind how the bacon is arranged, so long as
    there's a lot. Gotta be cheap white bread, gotta be toasted, gotta
    have mayo on both halves, lettuce gotta be iceberg.

    Quoted message said:

    Why would you make a good sandwich on cheap bread?

    Maybe because cheap bread literally "wraps" around it's content, as
    the pedestal of a statue?
    --
    Vilco
    Think pink, drink rose'

  12. Dave Smith said:

    Why would you make a good sandwich on cheap bread? Really good bread
    can be the best part of a sandwich because it is so good that
    anything else is just a bonus. It seems a shame to waste good bacon
    and good tomatoes on crappy bread.

    My favorite bread, is a 7-Grain bread that is made locally. It is full
    of sunflower seeds and it has oatmeal on the top of the bread. But, I
    agree with Sheldon, when I eat a BLT, I want cheap, white bread, iceberg
    lettuce and slices of plump, juicy tomato. I also like cheap, white
    bread for tuna salad. Maybe this is because that is what I ate when I
    was a child.

    Becca

  13. blAndy said:


    I just enjoyed a luncheon consisting of a BLT sandwich and it occurred
    to me, what is the optimal configuration for the strips of bacon on a BLT?

    There are a few possibilities, from what I can tell... one would be in
    parallel, all the strips lined up next to each other.

    No, wrong. That configuration would allow a fracture
    occurring on one slice to propagate to the adjacent
    slices. One of the best parts about a BLT is the
    fracture of really crispy bacon as you bite into it.
    You want to savor that experience, not squander it
    in a few bites.

    The ideal layout is to have each slice oriented
    15 degrees off-axis to its neighbors. That helps
    to prevent strip-to-strip fracture propagation.

    Even better (although this is a nuance one seldom
    sees done, except by an expert) is to take a hole
    punch or a cork borer and make several holes in the
    raw bacon. After frying, these holes will tend to
    stop a fracture from propagating within a strip.
    When the developing crack meets the hole, it usually
    won't jump to the other side. Each hole should be
    centered over a border between the red and white
    parts, because that's where most fractures occur.

  14. On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 14:51:25 -0700, Mark Thorson <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Scientology can help you with that.

    Even when I was eight, jumping up and down on a sofa...made my stomach
    not feel good. The bunk bed made my stomach AND HEAD hurt.

  15. blAndy said:

    I just enjoyed a luncheon consisting of a BLT sandwich and it occurred
    to me, what is the optimal configuration for the strips of bacon on a BLT?

    There are a few possibilities, from what I can tell... one would be in
    parallel, all the strips lined up next to each other. Another would be a
    sort of cross-hatch pattern. A third possibility would involve abstract
    expressionist randomness... possibly requiring the decomposition of
    strips into smaller pieces.

    This might be a good survey question for the r.f.c site. 🙂

    Oh, yes. That's a skill right up there with spreading butter on bread....

    gloria p
    :-(

  16. Sheldon said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    blAndy wrote:
    > I just enjoyed a luncheon consisting of a BLT sandwich and it occurred
    > to me, what is the optimal configuration for the strips of bacon on a BLT?

    Quoted message said:


    Who give's a rat's b-hind how the bacon is arranged, so long as
    there's a lot. Gotta be cheap white bread, gotta be toasted, gotta
    have mayo on both halves, lettuce gotta be iceberg.

    Sheldon

    Nope. Mayo on one slice, butter on the other, both thinly spread.
    Toasted white bread or other mildly flavored bread. Actually I've even
    had it on sourdough and it was good. I've always used iceberg till
    recently when all I had home was redleaf lettuce. It was surprisingly
    good, but not crunchy like iceberg.

    gloria p

  17. Puester said:


    Oh, yes. That's a skill right up there with spreading butter on bread....

    Which almost no members of the public know
    how to do competently. For one thing,
    you want all of the butter molecules
    lined up in the same direction . . .

  18. Becca said:
    Dave Smith said:

    Why would you make a good sandwich on cheap bread? Really good bread
    can be the best part of a sandwich because it is so good that
    anything else is just a bonus. It seems a shame to waste good bacon
    and good tomatoes on crappy bread.

    My favorite bread, is a 7-Grain bread that is made locally. It is full
    of sunflower seeds and it has oatmeal on the top of the bread. But, I
    agree with Sheldon, when I eat a BLT, I want cheap, white bread, iceberg
    lettuce and slices of plump, juicy tomato. I also like cheap, white
    bread for tuna salad. Maybe this is because that is what I ate when I
    was a child.

    Becca

    Tuna, crab, or lobster salad is very nice on lightly toasted hotdog
    rolls, New England style.

    gloria p

  19. "Mark Thorson" sonic wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Puester said:


    Oh, yes. That's a skill right up there with spreading butter on
    bread....

    Which almost no members of the public know
    how to do competently. For one thing,
    you want all of the butter molecules
    lined up in the same direction . . .

    That's easy. You use a magnet. Food grade, of course.
    ;-)

    BOB

  20. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Subject: Re: question regarding bacon arrangement on BLT
    From: Mark Thorson <[email hidden]>
    Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking

    blAndy said:


    I just enjoyed a luncheon consisting of a BLT sandwich and it occurred
    to me, what is the optimal configuration for the strips of bacon on a BLT?

    There are a few possibilities, from what I can tell... one would be in
    parallel, all the strips lined up next to each other.


    If there was ever an obvious troll, this is it.
    --
    Peter Aitken

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.