Question(s) about CO2 pump vs frame or mini-pump.

Skoorb

Jan 9, 2007
I carry with me a spare tube and have been carrying a CO2 Microflate pump with 16g threaded cannisters. It's really nice and works well but the spare tanks are $3-4, which is patently insane. I have had enough of paying that much just for air.

I don't ride all that much--like 100 miles/week or less, generally, but these 16g threaded are threatening my retirement so I need a better solution. I'm trying to decide between a bulky frame or mini-pump or buying a new CO2 pump that takes threadless cartriges and buying spares from Walmart (airgun cartriges).

Are airgun cartriges 12g? That would be enough to pump to 90 PSI, I think, which is fine to finish up a century, even on the wheel (I presume; I weigh about 170). I think they are a buck a piece or something, and exactly the same as 12g threadless in a bike store (except 1/2 or 1/3 the price).

Space on my frame seems at a premium, which is another concern.

I guess if I was doing 500 mile tours every month I might want a frame pump, but is there any other reason to bother? I've heard mini-pumps have a problem getting high PSI, which means this is reall frame vs. threadless CO2.

Ideas? :)

Skoorb said:
I carry with me a spare tube and have been carrying a CO2 Microflate pump with 16g threaded cannisters. It's really nice and works well but the spare tanks are $3-4, which is patently insane. I have had enough of paying that much just for air.

I don't ride all that much--like 100 miles/week or less, generally, but these 16g threaded are threatening my retirement so I need a better solution.

Are you flatting that much? If so, you should maybe look at a different tire or anti-flat solution.

alienator said:
Are you flatting that much? If so, you should maybe look at a different tire or anti-flat solution.
Could be :) I Need armadillos with slime tubes!

I bought a small frame pump and then got it home and reviews ripped it apart, so I'll be returning it. Based on local selection, I'll be getting the innovations ultraflate plus, which takes pellet-gun 12gram cartriges at $.60/each instead of the insane 16 gram threaded costs.

Skoorb said:
Could be :) I Need armadillos with slime tubes!

I bought a small frame pump and then got it home and reviews ripped it apart, so I'll be returning it. Based on local selection, I'll be getting the innovations ultraflate plus, which takes pellet-gun 12gram cartriges at $.60/each instead of the insane 16 gram threaded costs.

Seriously, what sort of area do you ride in? I ride in the desert, a veritable flat festival with all the goatheads we have here, and I've managed almost 3000 miles this year with Schwalbe Ultremos and zero flats. Bonus.

alienator said:
Seriously, what sort of area do you ride in? I ride in the desert, a veritable flat festival with all the goatheads we have here, and I've managed almost 3000 miles this year with Schwalbe Ultremos and zero flats. Bonus.
Wow, not bad! I ride on good roads, actually, nice and clean but have managed two flats in the past 181 miles. I am hopeful that the tubes were just ****, though (maybe old and had been sitting on the bike before it was sold...? I could never find any reason for the small holes in them when I looked at the tires so I think the tires were ok). I am 170 and use 23C tires pumped to 110/piece. The current tures are Continental Ultra Sports.

Skoorb said:
I've heard mini-pumps have a problem getting high PSI, which means this is reall frame vs. threadless CO2.

Ideas? :)
Nothing a shiny set of Irons and protein shakes won't rectify for you pronto! :D

willocrew said:
Nothing a shiny set of Irons and protein shakes won't rectify for you pronto! :D
:) I am actually pretty strong up top (not where it matters in cycling, unfortunately!). I did return the pump I bought and got a CO2 setup.

I also got a third flat two nights ago riding on the trainer (yes, embedded glass from the previous ride, 10 min in popped it). The continental ultra sport tires were ripped apart on roadbikereview and I think they are pretty much junk.

Skoorb said:
:) I am actually pretty strong up top (not where it matters in cycling, unfortunately!). I did return the pump I bought and got a CO2 setup.

I also got a third flat two nights ago riding on the trainer (yes, embedded glass from the previous ride, 10 min in popped it). The continental ultra sport tires were ripped apart on roadbikereview and I think they are pretty much junk.
Got to be careful with roadbikereview. Remember, it's mostly unhappy punters that are motivated to post. The silent majority won't be bothered.

Sounds like some armadillos would be a good idea...

My Specialized ALLEZ came with cheap mondo steel bead tires,700x23c, and riding over all the sharp stones, driveway rocks, some glass in town, i havnt managed a flat in the ~200 miles on the bike. i weigh about 220 and tires are 115psi. I need to ride more, the bike is goin in tomorrow for its first tuneup (skippin a beat on shifts) and now that i got my helmet and bike shorts, i should be right ready for some serious miles!

next summer my goal is the local MS150 bike tour for multiple sclerosis (for thos that dont know what it is.) whats that...90 miles? hmmm i better start riding a lot more once the bike is tuned :)

take those tires off in the mean time and check the inside of tire for sharp objects...glass, stones, prickers, etc. Ive had only one flat in the thousands upon thousands of miles ive put on ANY of my bikes since i started biking @ 5 years old...*knocks on wood* that was caused by a VERY sharp stone going through a MTB slick and, of course, the tube.

take those tires off in the mean time and check the inside of tire for sharp objects...glass, stones, prickers, etc. Ive had only one flat in the thousands upon thousands of miles ive put on ANY of my bikes since i started biking @ 5 years old...*knocks on wood* that was caused by a VERY sharp stone going through a MTB slick and, of course, the tube.
I rode all as a kid and I would say I probably ever had one flat tire. They were such a big deal back then we'd take it to the bike store! Mountain bikes on roads I think are almost impossible to flat. Road bikes are easier, especially if they have continental ultra sports :) I have managed another 35 miles since that flat on the trainer, though. I found that schwinn sells $14 tires in walmart. I bet they are more flat resistant than the ultras.

Skoorb,

I'm dumping my very similar Innovations Air Chuck for the same reason. I loved its small size, but I'm not paying for those threaded cartridges any more.

I recommend the Ultraflate or any of those other CO2 gizmos that will take the unthreaded cartridges. Even though it looks a lot bigger, since you can store a full cartridge inside it, you net out OK. (turn the blank around so it doesn't get punctured, the little neck pokes into the hole in the bottom of the cocoon part.)

With the unthreaded, the fit is more of an issue. I'd think twice about jury rigging it. But more power to you. You can find them on sale in 10 packs from time to time and they're not that bad.

Hopefully you solve this frequent flatting thing and you don't burn through so many.

P.S.

If you keep flatting that much and do it with a mini pump, you can save a lot of money by cashing in your gym membership. You won't need it with that workout.

Then you can afford all the cartridges you want.

A real Catch-22

slcbob1 said:
Skoorb,

I'm dumping my very similar Innovations Air Chuck for the same reason. I loved its small size, but I'm not paying for those threaded cartridges any more.

I recommend the Ultraflate or any of those other CO2 gizmos that will take the unthreaded cartridges. Even though it looks a lot bigger, since you can store a full cartridge inside it, you net out OK. (turn the blank around so it doesn't get punctured, the little neck pokes into the hole in the bottom of the cocoon part.)

With the unthreaded, the fit is more of an issue. I'd think twice about jury rigging it. But more power to you. You can find them on sale in 10 packs from time to time and they're not that bad.

Hopefully you solve this frequent flatting thing and you don't burn through so many.
Yep, I think the air chuck is lighter than the microflate (which is still sub 40 grams,I believe) but presta-only. In any case, the microflate really is a very nice unit. It is sturdy and does what is promised. I may keep it with a spare 16 gram threaded in case the ultraflate ever cops out, but I now have a 15 pack of paintball gun cartriges ready to go!

Nashbar stocks a neat little unit that will pump or work with any size cartridge, threaded or otherwise. I haven't used it but it might solve your problems.

Another option is this mini pump that specs to 130 lbs.