question......... very urgent...

for_fun08

Guest
I have a question posting here, pls help me to solve it....

If a milling machine were not available, a replacement chain sprocket
for the bicycle, which has 20- teeth equi-spaced ( R5 eac), could be
produced using a centre-lathe and drilling machine.

(a) List the machining operations necessary to produce the sprocket from
a suitable piece of steel plate.
(b) Explain any method by which the sprocket-tooth could be accurately
divided using the centre-lathe.

Thank.........

--

"for_fun08" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a question posting here, pls help me to solve it....
>
> If a milling machine were not available, a replacement chain sprocket
> for the bicycle, which has 20- teeth equi-spaced ( R5 eac), could be
> produced using a centre-lathe and drilling machine.
>
> (a) List the machining operations necessary to produce the sprocket from
> a suitable piece of steel plate.
> (b) Explain any method by which the sprocket-tooth could be accurately
> divided using the centre-lathe.
>
> Thank........

Do your own homework.

for_fun08 <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have a question posting here, pls help me to solve it....
>
> If a milling machine were not available, a replacement chain sprocket
> for the bicycle, which has 20- teeth equi-spaced ( R5 eac), could be
> produced using a centre-lathe and drilling machine.
>
> (a) List the machining operations necessary to produce the sprocket from
> a suitable piece of steel plate.
> (b) Explain any method by which the sprocket-tooth could be accurately
> divided using the centre-lathe.

try some of the metal working newsgroups. or alt.machines.cnc

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 14:21:58 GMT, for_fun08 <[email protected]>
may have said:

>I have a question posting here, pls help me to solve it....

You really should have been in class that day.

"for_fun08" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a question posting here, pls help me to solve it....
>
> If a milling machine were not available, a replacement chain sprocket
> for the bicycle, which has 20- teeth equi-spaced ( R5 eac), could be
> produced using a centre-lathe and drilling machine.
>
> (a) List the machining operations necessary to produce the sprocket from
> a suitable piece of steel plate.
> (b) Explain any method by which the sprocket-tooth could be accurately
> divided using the centre-lathe.

Is that for_fun or for_school?

Greg

"for_fun08" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a question posting here, pls help me to solve it....
>
> If a milling machine were not available, a replacement chain sprocket
> for the bicycle, which has 20- teeth equi-spaced ( R5 eac), could be
> produced using a centre-lathe and drilling machine.
>
> (a) List the machining operations necessary to produce the sprocket from
> a suitable piece of steel plate.
> (b) Explain any method by which the sprocket-tooth could be accurately
> divided using the centre-lathe.

So what the hell is so urgent about this? I could tell you exactly how to
do it several different ways ... but not if you're going to troll.

C.Q.C.

wrote:

>I have a question posting here, pls help me to solve it....
>
>If a milling machine were not available, a replacement chain sprocket
>for the bicycle, which has 20- teeth equi-spaced ( R5 eac), could be
>produced using a centre-lathe and drilling machine.
>
>(a) List the machining operations necessary to produce the sprocket from
> a suitable piece of steel plate.
>(b) Explain any method by which the sprocket-tooth could be accurately
> divided using the centre-lathe.
>
>Thank.........

Making it is only 1/2 the gig. You would have to properly heat-treat
the material after fabrication. In my opinon it would be better to
make this part as a forging due to the stress on the part. I don't
think I would trust a welded stamping eithe without heat-treatingr.
What I don't get is - the sprocket isn't a big deal - so why re-invent
the wheel (pardon the pun)?

Michael J. Klein

Have you tried BUYING a new sprocket?

- -