Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Quick question about how fork rests on wheel axle(pic)

Started by novice · · Last activity · 12 posts · 760 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
21 April 2006
Last activity
22 April 2006
Original author
novice
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
760
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I bought an iron horse but there were some problems with how it was
    assembled. I think this is right . The fork rest on the threaded thing
    as shown in pic. It is hallow with small diameter. I assume the
    clamping action gives it the strength?

    http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6725/ironhorse2uw.jpg

    my brakes were wrong. and the spring on the quick release was
    backwards.

  2. novice said:

    I bought an iron horse but there were some problems with how it was
    assembled. I think this is right . The fork rest on the threaded thing
    as shown in pic. It is hallow with small diameter. I assume the
    clamping action gives it the strength?

    http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6725/ironhorse2uw.jpg

    my brakes were wrong. and the spring on the quick release was
    backwards.

    Why don't you go bother the bike shop where you bought the bike rather
    than troll Usenet?

    Greg

    --
    "All my time I spent in heaven
    Revelries of dance and wine
    Waking to the sound of laughter
    Up I'd rise and kiss the sky" - The Mekons

  3. get a life, loser.

  4. novice said:

    I bought an iron horse but there were some problems with how it was
    assembled. I think this is right . The fork rest on the threaded thing

    That's the front hub's axle.

    Quoted message said:

    as shown in pic. It is hallow

    It's hollow so the quick release skewer can pass through.

    Quoted message said:

    with small diameter.

    The skewer is about 5 mm in diameter, so the hole through the axle is
    alittle bigger -- maybe 5.2 mm.

    Quoted message said:

    I assume the clamping action gives it the strength?

    Right. I found some instructions on using a quick release lever here:
    http://www.bicyclinglife.com/HowTo/UseAQuickRelease.htm

    Quoted message said:

    http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6725/ironhorse2uw.jpg

    my brakes were wrong. and the spring on the quick release was
    backwards.

    Not sure what you mean here.

  5. G.T. said:
    novice said:

    I bought an iron horse but there were some problems with how it was
    assembled. I think this is right . The fork rest on the threaded thing
    as shown in pic. It is hallow with small diameter. I assume the
    clamping action gives it the strength?

    http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6725/ironhorse2uw.jpg

    my brakes were wrong. and the spring on the quick release was
    backwards.

    Why don't you go bother the bike shop where you bought the bike rather
    than troll Usenet?

    Greg

    For the time you spent slamming the guy, you could have either answered
    the 'novice's' question or said nothing. If you don't know the answer,
    just read it and go on.....'trolling' is in the mind of the beholder.

  6. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    G.T. said:
    novice said:

    I bought an iron horse but there were some problems with how it was
    assembled. I think this is right . The fork rest on the threaded thing
    as shown in pic. It is hallow with small diameter. I assume the
    clamping action gives it the strength?

    http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6725/ironhorse2uw.jpg

    my brakes were wrong. and the spring on the quick release was
    backwards.

    Why don't you go bother the bike shop where you bought the bike rather
    than troll Usenet?

    Greg

    For the time you spent slamming the guy, you could have either answered
    the 'novice's' question or said nothing. If you don't know the answer,
    just read it and go on.....'trolling' is in the mind of the beholder.

    Sure, the above post from the person who couldn't even be bothered to
    look at his stem when removing it from the fork:

    http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5021/00005966tp.jpg

    Damn, I figured that one out when I was 5 while I was working on my
    Schwinn Stingray.

    Greg

    --
    "All my time I spent in heaven
    Revelries of dance and wine
    Waking to the sound of laughter
    Up I'd rise and kiss the sky" - The Mekons

  7. Thanks. I was saying that the bike was assembled wrong so I was
    suspicious. The brake pads, for example, were misaligned causing the
    brake pads to wear out in my first 30 minute ride.

  8. "Right. I found some instructions on using a quick release lever here:
    bicyclinglife.comUseAQuickRelease.htm"

    That's a good link.

  9. G.T. said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    G.T. said:

    novice wrote:

    > I bought an iron horse but there were some problems with how it was
    > assembled. I think this is right . The fork rest on the threaded
    > thing as shown in pic. It is hallow with small diameter. I assume
    > the clamping action gives it the strength?
    >
    > http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6725/ironhorse2uw.jpg
    >
    > my brakes were wrong. and the spring on the quick release was
    > backwards.
    >

    Why don't you go bother the bike shop where you bought the bike
    rather than troll Usenet?

    Greg

    For the time you spent slamming the guy, you could have either
    answered the 'novice's' question or said nothing. If you don't know
    the answer, just read it and go on.....'trolling' is in the mind of
    the beholder.

    Sure, the above post from the person who couldn't even be bothered to
    look at his stem when removing it from the fork:

    http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5021/00005966tp.jpg

    Damn, I figured that one out when I was 5 while I was working on my
    Schwinn Stingray.

    Come on... we've all dealt with the utmost of mechanically inept people...
    May I suggest a killfile? I was recommended this in recent weeks 😉

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  10. novice said:

    Thanks. I was saying that the bike was assembled wrong so I was
    suspicious. The brake pads, for example, were misaligned causing the
    brake pads to wear out in my first 30 minute ride.

    30 minutes, huh? How far did you go in 30 minutes? That's a mighty
    feat to wear brake pads out in 30 minutes even if you purposely kept the
    brakes on.

    Greg

    --
    "All my time I spent in heaven
    Revelries of dance and wine
    Waking to the sound of laughter
    Up I'd rise and kiss the sky" - The Mekons

  11. Phil said:
    G.T. said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:

    G.T. wrote:

    >novice wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I bought an iron horse but there were some problems with how it was
    >>assembled. I think this is right . The fork rest on the threaded
    >>thing as shown in pic. It is hallow with small diameter. I assume
    >>the clamping action gives it the strength?
    >>
    >>http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6725/ironhorse2uw.jpg
    >>
    >>my brakes were wrong. and the spring on the quick release was
    >>backwards.
    >>
    >
    >Why don't you go bother the bike shop where you bought the bike
    >rather than troll Usenet?
    >
    >Greg

    For the time you spent slamming the guy, you could have either
    answered the 'novice's' question or said nothing. If you don't know
    the answer, just read it and go on.....'trolling' is in the mind of
    the beholder.

    Sure, the above post from the person who couldn't even be bothered to
    look at his stem when removing it from the fork:

    http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5021/00005966tp.jpg

    Damn, I figured that one out when I was 5 while I was working on my
    Schwinn Stingray.

    Come on... we've all dealt with the utmost of mechanically inept people...
    May I suggest a killfile? I was recommended this in recent weeks 😉

    Sure thing. My apologies to the troll, especially if he has a learning
    disability.

    Greg

    --
    "All my time I spent in heaven
    Revelries of dance and wine
    Waking to the sound of laughter
    Up I'd rise and kiss the sky" - The Mekons

  12. G.T. said:
    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    G.T. said:

    novice wrote:

    >I bought an iron horse but there were some problems with how it was
    >assembled. I think this is right . The fork rest on the threaded thing
    >as shown in pic. It is hallow with small diameter. I assume the
    >clamping action gives it the strength?
    >
    >http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6725/ironhorse2uw.jpg
    >
    >my brakes were wrong. and the spring on the quick release was
    >backwards.
    >

    Why don't you go bother the bike shop where you bought the bike rather
    than troll Usenet?

    Greg

    For the time you spent slamming the guy, you could have either answered
    the 'novice's' question or said nothing. If you don't know the answer,
    just read it and go on.....'trolling' is in the mind of the beholder.

    Sure, the above post from the person who couldn't even be bothered to
    look at his stem when removing it from the fork:

    http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/5021/00005966tp.jpg

    Gotta say, I'm with you on this. The guy who posted that is NOT allowed to
    allege that his bicycle was misassembled - not based on his own expertise.

    Ron

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.