UK and Europe · Public discussion

Quill to a-head conversion - technical q's

Started by Jeremy Collins · · Last activity · 9 posts · 1,802 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
22 April 2005
Last activity
30 April 2005
Original author
Jeremy Collins
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,802
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all,

    As part of an ongoing project, I have a bike that needs a new stem.
    Right now it's got a slightly corroded quill stem, and I'd like to
    fit one of these quill to a-head converter stems:

    http://tinyurl.com/7qrem

    I'm confused over the measurement - the bike has a 1 1/8" headset,
    and the existing stem is marked Ø 25.4 - does this mean I need the
    1" or the 1 1/8" model?

    Also, once this is fitted, can I then use any, er, stem with it?
    It won't need a rugged MTB stem, so will something like these
    cheap road stems work?

    http://tinyurl.com/74y6e

    http://tinyurl.com/9pzrh

    (all TinyURL links redirect to Wiggle, honest).

    Finally, if the head tube angle is 70°, then a stem with about the
    same angle will give me a "flat" stem, right?

    Many thanks,

    --
    jc

    Remove the -not from email

  2. On 22/4/05 8:58 am, in article [email hidden],

    Jeremy Collins said:

    Hi all,

    As part of an ongoing project, I have a bike that needs a new stem.
    Right now it's got a slightly corroded quill stem, and I'd like to
    fit one of these quill to a-head converter stems:

    http://tinyurl.com/7qrem

    I'm confused over the measurement - the bike has a 1 1/8" headset,
    and the existing stem is marked Ø 25.4 - does this mean I need the
    1" or the 1 1/8" model?


    Neither, see below.

    Quoted message said:

    Also, once this is fitted, can I then use any, er, stem with it?
    It won't need a rugged MTB stem, so will something like these
    cheap road stems work?

    http://tinyurl.com/74y6e

    http://tinyurl.com/9pzrh

    I have done exactly that with my road bike. There are two dimensions to
    worry about. The first is the quill dimension which will be the internal
    diameter of the fork steerer tube. FOr a 1" tube, this is 22.2 mm

    The second is the outside diameter of the adapter as you will need the right
    stem size. IIRC the THE stem comes with a shim so getting the wrong size
    will not be a problem there.

    Neither of the two adapters you show in the first URL will fit a 1 1/8
    headset. They are for a 1". The difference is in the OD teh stem clamps to.

    I use one of the THE stems on my road bike with an adapter but I have a 1"
    steerer tube. Wiggle didn't have the converters in stock so I got mine
    elsewhere.

    ...d

  3. Jeremy Collins <[email hidden]> wrote:

    : I'm confused over the measurement - the bike has a 1 1/8" headset,
    : and the existing stem is marked Ø 25.4 - does this mean I need the
    : 1" or the 1 1/8" model?

    Confusingly, that 25.4 is the handlebar width, not the fork size.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt
    Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
    lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes

  4. David Martin said:

    Neither of the two adapters you show in the first URL will fit a 1 1/8
    headset. They are for a 1". The difference is in the OD teh stem clamps to.

    Darn. I can't find any other "converter" stems, so I guess my only
    option is to get another old-school quill stem, like these

    http://sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?cat579.htm

    As the riding position is currently a bit too upright, I want a
    "flatter" stem profile, so I guess my only option is the
    "Amoeba MTB stem (bridge beam) quill" near the bottom of that
    page (i.e the only one with less than 0° of rise).

    Thanks for the help,

    --
    jc

    Remove the -not from email

  5. Jeremy Collins said:
    David Martin said:

    Neither of the two adapters you show in the first URL will fit a 1 1/8
    headset. They are for a 1". The difference is in the OD teh stem
    clamps to.

    Darn. I can't find any other "converter" stems, so I guess my only
    option is to get another old-school quill stem, like these

    You can get shims to fit a 1" quill in a 1 1/8 steerer. I would try
    someone like Ison for one. If not I think I have one lying around at
    home. http://www.ison-distribution.com/ison/all/default.php

    Tony

  6. Tony Raven said:

    You can get shims to fit a 1" quill in a 1 1/8 steerer.

    Ah, that's interesting. I've just looked at Wiggle again and seen this:

    http://tinyurl.com/8rmhm

    (it says it's a shim to convert 1" quill stems to 1 1/8"😉

    So maybe I'm back in business...

    Cheers,

    --
    jc

    Remove the -not from email

  7. Jeremy Collins said:

    Ah, that's interesting. I've just looked at Wiggle again and
    seen this:

    Quoted message said:

    http://tinyurl.com/8rmhm

    Quoted message said:

    (it says it's a shim to convert 1" quill stems to 1 1/8"😉

    So maybe I'm back in business...

    Selcof Stem Adaptor 1 1/8 to 1 1/8" AHead

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?Main=ProductDetail.aspx&W=0&Manufacturer=&UberCatName=&Cat=cycle&CategoryName=Stems&ProdID=5300005699&UberCat=0

    http://tinyurl.com/b5eoa

    James Thomson

  8. Jeremy Collins said:

    Also, once this is fitted, can I then use any, er, stem with
    it? It won't need a rugged MTB stem, so will something
    like these cheap road stems work?

    Most flat bars have a diameter at the clamp of 1" (25.4mm) while most road
    bars are 25.8 or 26.0mm. It's best to match the clamp diameter of the stem
    to that of the bar, though a front-opening stem will generally work well
    enough even if mismatched. There are plenty of inexpensive MTB stems on the
    market.

    Quoted message said:

    Finally, if the head tube angle is 70°, then a stem with
    about the same angle will give me a "flat" stem, right?

    Right, though it's more likely to be sold as 20° - simply use it
    upside-down.

    James Thomson

  9. Jeremy Collins said:

    Hi all,

    As part of an ongoing project, I have a bike that needs a new stem.
    Right now it's got a slightly corroded quill stem, and I'd like to
    fit one of these quill to a-head converter stems:

    Thanks to everyone who helped me out on this one, I managed to
    get the bits I wanted, and it has worked *perfectly*.

    Cheers,

    --
    jc

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.