UK and Europe · Public discussion

Qulii to Ahead adapror

Started by Steve W · · Last activity · 10 posts · 413 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
26 May 2007
Last activity
28 May 2007
Original author
Steve W
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
413
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Do these work OK ?
    I am thinking of fitting one to my old Moulton AM7 to get the bars I want
    (26.2 mm dia) in the position I want (higher and slightly more forward).
    What do you think?

    SW

  2. Should read "Quill to ahead adaptor"
    Too much haste ! !

    SW

  3. In article <[email hidden]>, Steve W
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Do these work OK ?
    I am thinking of fitting one to my old Moulton AM7 to get the bars I want
    (26.2 mm dia) in the position I want (higher and slightly more forward).
    What do you think?


    I was looking at some adapters and they were pretty heavy. Maybe there
    are some decent ones that don't weigh a ton. Apart from that they seem
    OK.

  4. On 26/05/2007 11:02, Steve W said,

    Quoted message said:

    Do these work OK ?
    I am thinking of fitting one to my old Moulton AM7 to get the bars I want
    (26.2 mm dia) in the position I want (higher and slightly more forward).
    What do you think?

    I have one on my Randonneur for exactly the same reason - higher and
    further forward, and so I could play with different stems easily until I
    found one that was "right". The adapter has been working well for at
    least 4 or 5 years, with nary a creak nor complaint!

    --
    Paul Boyd
    http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

  5. Steve W said:

    Do these work OK ?

    Yes, the bottom bit works just like the shaft of a quill stem, and an ahead
    stem clamps to the top bit just like it would clamp to a threadless steerer.

    Quoted message said:

    I am thinking of fitting one to my old Moulton AM7 to get the bars I
    want (26.2 mm dia) in the position I want (higher and slightly more
    forward). What do you think?

    The shafts of these adapters aren't very tall, but a steeply rising ahead
    stem might provide what you want. Definitely worth trying if you can't find
    a suitable quill stem. A stem with a 26.0 bar clamp should be OK with 26.2
    bars.

    I've never heard of 26.2mm bars before. Is that Moulton being different for
    the sake of being different?

    ~PB

  6. Rob Morley said:

    I was looking at some adapters and they were pretty heavy. Maybe
    there are some decent ones that don't weigh a ton. Apart from that
    they seem OK.

    The cheap one I got from SJSC (some long time ago) weighs about 150 grams.
    Combined with a cheap 3T The stem, it's no heavier than the average quill
    stem.

    The ITM one is heavier. The Cinelli is much lighter.

    Weight could be saved by reduced by replacing the steel bolt with a Ti one,
    if you could find the right size. (I guess the Cinelli might already have
    an alloy or Ti bolt).

    ~PB

  7. I've never heard of 26.2mm bars before. Is that Moulton being different
    for
    the sake of being different?

    PB

    No it's not Moulton it's more than likely my [censored] vernier !
    The bars are relatively modern 3T Morphe.

    Thanks to the rest of you for the quick replies. I'm off out next week to
    get the relevant bits.
    BTW does anyone know how stems are measured ?
    Are the dimensions centre to centre? If so how do I know where the centres
    are on one like this...http://www.gearshift.co.uk/acatalog/Stems.html
    The one I'm looking at is the 40 degree 120mm one. I suppose that will go
    with the adaptor at the bottom of the page. I'll phone them before ordering
    though.

    SW

  8. Steve W wrote:
    /snip

    Quoted message said:

    The bars are relatively modern 3T Morphe.

    They'll be 25.8 then.

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks to the rest of you for the quick replies. I'm off out next
    week to get the relevant bits.
    BTW does anyone know how stems are measured ?
    Are the dimensions centre to centre?

    Yes.

    Quoted message said:

    If so how do I know where the
    centres are on one like
    this...http://www.gearshift.co.uk/acatalog/Stems.html

    Good question. I think it's supposed to be from half way down the stem,
    from centre of fork steerer to centre of handlebars. Measuring along the
    top from centre of centre should give you a good idea, though.

    Quoted message said:

    The one I'm looking at is the 40 degree 120mm one. I suppose that
    will go with the adaptor at the bottom of the page.

    It will. A shim will be required if it's 1" at the top.

    Think carefully about the length. 120mm is long for a 40 degree job.

    An adjustable tall quill stem might be better if you're not too sure what's
    required. Kalloy make one.

    ~PB

  9. Pete Biggs said:

    Think carefully about the length. 120mm is long for a 40 degree job.

    An adjustable tall quill stem might be better if you're not too sure
    what's required. Kalloy make one.

    Which is effective, if somewhat heavy.
    My oldest bike has one.
    Might be the cheapest way to determine the angle/length required.

    Other downside of my adjustable one is that the bar clamp is the older
    single pinch bolt, not the newer "front loading", so switching to the final
    stem requires a strip-down of one side of the handlebars to unthread them.

    - Nigel

    --
    Nigel Cliffe,
    Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

  10. In article said:
    Pete Biggs said:

    Think carefully about the length. 120mm is long for a 40 degree job.

    An adjustable tall quill stem might be better if you're not too sure
    what's required. Kalloy make one.

    Which is effective, if somewhat heavy.
    My oldest bike has one.
    Might be the cheapest way to determine the angle/length required.

    Other downside of my adjustable one is that the bar clamp is the older
    single pinch bolt, not the newer "front loading", so switching to the final
    stem requires a strip-down of one side of the handlebars to unthread them.

    I have a bike with an adjustable Kalloy quill stem which does have
    the two-bolt front loading clamp.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.