"gumby" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:The major consideration when exerting yourself is 'feel'. How do you
feel when putting in the effort? I have seen 190 a couple of times
when I have gone off the front of a group in a crit, and when
sprinting. Both times 'feel' caused me to do different things, off the
front I felt like [censored] and I dropped back in, sprinting I just said,
'oh bollocks to that and go for it'
This happens especially in time trials, longer time trials I will try
and maintain 175-180, but will drop lower if I feel like [censored].
Then of course there is a senior cyclist with a heart condition I know.
He has to nominally hold 130 because of his pacemaker, during a recent
event he saw 160 and thought he should not push it. He said he felt
fine while riding it was a hot day, it was just he didn't like the
value of the numbers. He is fine now, still, and has competed in other
events.
Training in specified heart rate zones has been shown to have some
benefit I believe. certainly the supporting literature from Polar
asserts this, but they would say that wouldnt they?
Steven
I rode Mount St up to King's Park a couple of weeks ago and my HR got up to
190. I was shocked as I felt the best I'd ever done at the top of this short
sharp climb. I even went halfway back down again to encourage the mate I was
riding with who'd blown up half way up, and rode up the last part again.
It's made me realise that HR values are only a guide. As other people have
said, the most important measure of stress is how your body feels at the
time.
BTW I've entered the Bibra Lake TT but not certain yet whether I'm able to
take the day off work. I'm rostered on the whole Easter w/e, a bumber as
I'd like to have ridden the 40km option on Monday too. The bug has bitten
me after watching the State 40km TT at Hopeland!! Eeek.
Graeme
Quoted message said: