Race Cat Selection

Strecthcuclist

Jun 14, 2012
I'm 23 and am looking at entering my first race but don't have a clue where to start. Whats the difference in CAT 5 thru 1? What is the distance difference between the CAT's?

Cat5 is entry level. All you need is a one-day license (usually available at the race) or a yearly license available through http://www.usacycling.org/

Finish ten mass start races then it's off to Cat4. From 4 you upgrade to 3 by points earned from placing in or winning events. You can also upgrade to 3 by finishing "mid-pack" in 25 or more races with over 70 riders. Beyond 3, it's only points earned I believe. Cat 1 and 2 are considered elite, and usually race with the Pro's when they come to town. Cat 5 usually allows for slightly lower field limits to help avoid accidents and the race distances can be shorter as well, and usually doesn't have $ prizes.

My local park race distances are 17 miles for the 5's, 35-40 miles for the 3's and 4's, 45-60 for the 1's and 2's. These are for circuit races on a closed 3.5 mile course and It's different every where but you get the idea. Criteriums with shorter circuits often go by time instead of distance. Bona fide road races are sometimes 50-60 miles or so for the 5's and 4's, 85+ miles for the 1's and 2's. In NYS anyway. These are the races I have experience with. I'm sure there are others.

The more one is able to train, Edit: the better the quality of ones training, the more one is able to build consistently on previous training, and/or the genetic gifts (or lack thereof) with which one is endowed will determine where along one finds oneself after a few years of racing.