race kills woman cyclist

Callistus Valerius

Guest
young people shouldn't race:

BRIMFIELD, ILL | Highland native Elizabeth Kobeszka -- a high school
valedictorian with a record of success and service -- died during a bicycle
race Saturday after she bumped another bike and hurtled into an oncoming
truck.

Her mother, Vickie Kobeszka, described Elizabeth, 24, as a gifted and
dedicated academic and athlete.

"When she was 16, she was 16 going on 60, that's how intellectual and
responsible she was," Kobeszka said.

Although Elizabeth Kobeszka moved from Highland to Ohio in grade school,
much of her family remains in the region. Elizabeth Kobeszka's grandparents,
Chester and Virginia Ziemniak, own Highland Blueprint. Vickie Kobeszka
graduated from Highland High School as Vickie Ziemniak. Elizabeth Kobeszka's
father, Highland native Ed Kobeszka, lives in Missouri, Vickie Kobeszka
said.

Elizabeth Kobeszka, most recently of Chicago, died at OSF St. Francis
Hospital in Peoria about four hours after the crash Saturday morning during
the 20th annual Proctor Cycling Classic, Peoria County Coroner Johnna
Ingersoll said.

Kobeszka was riding with a pack of cyclists when she hit another bike about
three miles from the finish line on the 17-mile route near Brimfield, about
20 miles northwest of Peoria, police said.

The collision knocked her into the eastbound lane of the country road, where
a horse trailer pulled by a truck ran her over, police said. Ingersoll said
Kobeszka died of multiple injuries, including head injuries. She was wearing
a helmet.

Vickie Kobeszka said Monday she plans to call the truck's driver to tell him
she does not blame him for the accident.

"It has got to be a horrific time for him as well," she said. "I'm just
trying to get my courage up to do this."

Elizabeth Kobeszka founded her Ohio high school's chapter of the Z Club, a
youth offshoot of Zonta International, a women's organization, her mother
said. At Northwestern University, she ran cross country, participated in a
Catholic group and studied in Spain. She was a saleswoman for Johnson &
Johnson in Chicago when she died.

Elizabeth Kobeszka recently voiced uncertainty about her career, Vickie
Kobeszka said. She wanted to be sure she was helping, doing the right thing,
Kobeszka said.

"She always said, 'I want to make a difference,'" she said.

Kobeszka hopes her daughter's death illustrates the need to make sure
athletes are safe at events, she said. Vickie Kobeszka praised hospital
staff, her daughter's teammates and supportive strangers, but said her
daughter's death could have been prevented if the road was blocked to
traffic.

"Here's a young life that's gone now, unnecessarily," she said.

Visitation and funeral service arrangements were pending Monday at
Fagen-Miller Funeral Home in Highland.

> [...]
> Catholic group and studied in Spain. She was a saleswoman for Johnson &
> Johnson in Chicago when she died.
>
> Elizabeth Kobeszka recently voiced uncertainty about her career, Vickie
> Kobeszka said. She wanted to be sure she was helping, doing the right
> thing,
> Kobeszka said.
>
> "She always said, 'I want to make a difference,'" she said.
>
> Kobeszka hopes her daughter's death illustrates the need to make sure
> athletes are safe at events, she said. Vickie Kobeszka praised hospital
> staff, her daughter's teammates and supportive strangers, but said her
> daughter's death could have been prevented if the road was blocked to
> traffic.
>
> "Here's a young life that's gone now, unnecessarily," she said.
>
> Visitation and funeral service arrangements were pending Monday at

Fck me, are you trying to suck mikeys c*ck or what? I'm sure he'll let his
lapdog lick his ****, but go ask him in person would you.

****!

Quoted from a previous response to your attitude problem.

"Your problem, Callistus, is that you instantly assume that you are right
across the spectrum - which you aren't. YOU PERSONALLY think the 29 is the
slickest thing since greased **** slid off the shovel, but there are
> those of us out here who think it is perfectly silly, and want to stay
> with the 26-er that we know and love. So, by attacking all we hold dear,
> you lay yourself open to some flak. And being the ****-head you have since
> proved yourself to be, you proceed to call US dickheads for disagreeing
> with your stupidity. For an explanation of why this behaviour warrants
> this response, see "Vandeman" in the "Troll" section of your local library
> (if you can find it)"

Do you not learn from your mistakes?

Andy H

> ****!
>
> Quoted from a previous response to your attitude problem.
>
> "Your problem, Callistus, is that you instantly assume that you are right
> across the spectrum - which you aren't. YOU PERSONALLY think the 29 is

the
> slickest thing since greased **** slid off the shovel, but there are
> > those of us out here who think it is perfectly silly, and want to stay
> > with the 26-er that we know and love. So, by attacking all we hold dear,
> > you lay yourself open to some flak. And being the ****-head you have

since
> > proved yourself to be, you proceed to call US dickheads for disagreeing
> > with your stupidity. For an explanation of why this behaviour warrants
> > this response, see "Vandeman" in the "Troll" section of your local

library
> > (if you can find it)"

> Do you not learn from your mistakes?
>
> Andy H

-----------
I checked out Vandeman's web site, and it is a work of a mad man, but he's
not a troll. He's confused, life is a stew, where everything is thrown into
the pot, so he can reach whatever conclusion he can pull out of the sky.
But even mad men have moments of brillance, so you can't dismiss it all.

I own a 26er, that's why I quit mtb, and went to road. 29 brought me back
to mtb. It's a can or worms, so I don't want to reopen the issue. But let
me just say this, the landfills are full of old bikes made obsolete by
advances in technology, and design.

The only mistake I made, was by assuming everyone had already reached the
same conclusions, and I wanted people to know I've done my homework and I'm
on board. Little did I know that a primitave nostalgia has taken hold in a
community I left 8 years ago, that was so different then.

>> ****!
>>
>> Quoted from a previous response to your attitude problem.
>>
>> "Your problem, Callistus, is that you instantly assume that you are right
>> across the spectrum - which you aren't. YOU PERSONALLY think the 29 is

> the
>> slickest thing since greased **** slid off the shovel, but there are
>> > those of us out here who think it is perfectly silly, and want to stay
>> > with the 26-er that we know and love. So, by attacking all we hold
>> > dear,
>> > you lay yourself open to some flak. And being the ****-head you have

> since
>> > proved yourself to be, you proceed to call US dickheads for disagreeing
>> > with your stupidity. For an explanation of why this behaviour warrants
>> > this response, see "Vandeman" in the "Troll" section of your local

> library
>> > (if you can find it)"

>> Do you not learn from your mistakes?
>>
>> Andy H

> -----------
> I checked out Vandeman's web site, and it is a work of a mad man, but he's
> not a troll. He's confused, life is a stew, where everything is thrown
> into
> the pot, so he can reach whatever conclusion he can pull out of the sky.
> But even mad men have moments of brillance, so you can't dismiss it all.
>
> I own a 26er, that's why I quit mtb, and went to road. 29 brought me back
> to mtb. It's a can or worms, so I don't want to reopen the issue. But
> let
> me just say this, the landfills are full of old bikes made obsolete by
> advances in technology, and design.
>
> The only mistake I made, was by assuming everyone had already reached the
> same conclusions, and I wanted people to know I've done my homework and
> I'm
> on board. Little did I know that a primitave nostalgia has taken hold in
> community I left 8 years ago, that was so different then.

The reply wasn't re your obsession with the 29er, more your asshole
spamming, sucking up to and emulating vandespam, try reading the op with
your OCD switched off.

G'night

Andy H

No ****. You are the troll. GO AWAY!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 15:41:34 -0700, CowPunk <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jul 15, 2:53 pm, "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> But let
>> me just say this, the landfills are full of old bikes made obsolete by
>> advances in technology, and design.
>>

> Actually most used bikes end up on a ship back to China.
> http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A0DE6DC113EF937A25753C1A960948260

You could find a more recent story? "AP Published: October 14, 1986"
--
Slack

On Jul 15, 5:23 pm, Slack <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 15:41:34 -0700, CowPunk <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Jul 15, 2:53 pm, "Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> >> But let
> >> me just say this, the landfills are full of old bikes made obsolete by
> >> advances in technology, and design.

> > Actually most used bikes end up on a ship back to China.
> >http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A0DE6DC113EF937A25753...

> You could find a more recent story? "AP Published: October 14, 1986"
> --
> Slack

Here you go sweetie.

http://www.sfbayguardian.com/entry....d=254&issue_id=304&volume_num=41&issue_num=40

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:22:50 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>young people shouldn't race:

Yes. It's absurd. But it's why sponsors are able to make money:
viewers like to see thrills.

>BRIMFIELD, ILL | Highland native Elizabeth Kobeszka -- a high school
>valedictorian with a record of success and service -- died during a bicycle
>race Saturday after she bumped another bike and hurtled into an oncoming
>truck.
>
>Her mother, Vickie Kobeszka, described Elizabeth, 24, as a gifted and
>dedicated academic and athlete.
>
>"When she was 16, she was 16 going on 60, that's how intellectual and
>responsible she was," Kobeszka said.
>
>Although Elizabeth Kobeszka moved from Highland to Ohio in grade school,
>much of her family remains in the region. Elizabeth Kobeszka's grandparents,
>Chester and Virginia Ziemniak, own Highland Blueprint. Vickie Kobeszka
>graduated from Highland High School as Vickie Ziemniak. Elizabeth Kobeszka's
>father, Highland native Ed Kobeszka, lives in Missouri, Vickie Kobeszka
>said.
>
>Elizabeth Kobeszka, most recently of Chicago, died at OSF St. Francis
>Hospital in Peoria about four hours after the crash Saturday morning during
>the 20th annual Proctor Cycling Classic, Peoria County Coroner Johnna
>Ingersoll said.
>
>Kobeszka was riding with a pack of cyclists when she hit another bike about
>three miles from the finish line on the 17-mile route near Brimfield, about
>20 miles northwest of Peoria, police said.
>
>The collision knocked her into the eastbound lane of the country road, where
>a horse trailer pulled by a truck ran her over, police said. Ingersoll said
>Kobeszka died of multiple injuries, including head injuries. She was wearing
>a helmet.
>
>Vickie Kobeszka said Monday she plans to call the truck's driver to tell him
>she does not blame him for the accident.
>
>"It has got to be a horrific time for him as well," she said. "I'm just
>trying to get my courage up to do this."
>
>Elizabeth Kobeszka founded her Ohio high school's chapter of the Z Club, a
>youth offshoot of Zonta International, a women's organization, her mother
>said. At Northwestern University, she ran cross country, participated in a
>Catholic group and studied in Spain. She was a saleswoman for Johnson &
>Johnson in Chicago when she died.
>
>Elizabeth Kobeszka recently voiced uncertainty about her career, Vickie
>Kobeszka said. She wanted to be sure she was helping, doing the right thing,
>Kobeszka said.
>
>"She always said, 'I want to make a difference,'" she said.
>
>Kobeszka hopes her daughter's death illustrates the need to make sure
>athletes are safe at events, she said. Vickie Kobeszka praised hospital
>staff, her daughter's teammates and supportive strangers, but said her
>daughter's death could have been prevented if the road was blocked to
>traffic.
>
>"Here's a young life that's gone now, unnecessarily," she said.
>
>Visitation and funeral service arrangements were pending Monday at
>Fagen-Miller Funeral Home in Highland.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 20:53:07 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> ****!
>>
>> Quoted from a previous response to your attitude problem.
>>
>> "Your problem, Callistus, is that you instantly assume that you are right
>> across the spectrum - which you aren't. YOU PERSONALLY think the 29 is

>the
>> slickest thing since greased **** slid off the shovel, but there are
>> > those of us out here who think it is perfectly silly, and want to stay
>> > with the 26-er that we know and love. So, by attacking all we hold dear,
>> > you lay yourself open to some flak. And being the ****-head you have

>since
>> > proved yourself to be, you proceed to call US dickheads for disagreeing
>> > with your stupidity. For an explanation of why this behaviour warrants
>> > this response, see "Vandeman" in the "Troll" section of your local

>library
>> > (if you can find it)"

>> Do you not learn from your mistakes?
>>
>> Andy H

>-----------
>I checked out Vandeman's web site, and it is a work of a mad man,

Lack of specifics are a sure indication of BS. It means that you can't
defend your assertions.

but he's
>not a troll. He's confused, life is a stew, where everything is thrown into
>the pot, so he can reach whatever conclusion he can pull out of the sky.
>But even mad men have moments of brillance, so you can't dismiss it all.
>
>I own a 26er, that's why I quit mtb, and went to road. 29 brought me back
>to mtb. It's a can or worms, so I don't want to reopen the issue. But let
>me just say this, the landfills are full of old bikes made obsolete by
>advances in technology, and design.
>
>The only mistake I made, was by assuming everyone had already reached the
>same conclusions, and I wanted people to know I've done my homework and I'm
>on board. Little did I know that a primitave nostalgia has taken hold in a
>community I left 8 years ago, that was so different then.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

> >I checked out Vandeman's web site, and it is a work of a mad man,
>
> Lack of specifics are a sure indication of BS. It means that you can't
> defend your assertions.

---------
You have a delusion that you are like those characters Steve Seagal plays in
those movies where he battles evil coal miners and oil drillers for
destroying mother earth. You think you are like Steven Seagal doing karate
punches to evil mountain bikers who are scaring your God, mother nature. Is
that specific enough, .......it was easy to build the profile from your web
page.

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 02:12:38 GMT, "Callistus Valerius"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> >I checked out Vandeman's web site, and it is a work of a mad man,

>> Lack of specifics are a sure indication of BS. It means that you can't
>> defend your assertions.

>---------
>You have a delusion that you are like those characters Steve Seagal plays in
>those movies where he battles evil coal miners and oil drillers for
>destroying mother earth. You think you are like Steven Seagal doing karate
>punches to evil mountain bikers who are scaring your God, mother nature. Is
>that specific enough,

No. There is zero content. Specific means quoting my statement and
replying to it directly. But you already knew that.

Callistus Valerius wrote:
> young people shouldn't race:

<snip>
> hurtled into an oncoming truck.

I'd be willing to wager it was actually the truck that killed her.

Matt

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Callistus Valerius wrote:
>> young people shouldn't race:

> <snip>
>> hurtled into an oncoming truck.

> I'd be willing to wager it was actually the truck that killed her.
>
> Matt

Matt, come round my gaff and clean this tea out of my keyboard please.

Andy H

> No. There is zero content. Specific means quoting my statement and
> replying to it directly. But you already knew that.
>
> .......it was easy to build the profile from your web
> >page.

-----------
I couldn't find on your web page a way a mountain biker could cut a trail
out of virgin land, do you know how this can be done? Like is there
something you could drag behind a mountain bike, for trail building?

I like blazing my own trails, that's what I like about kayaking, no trail to
follow, make your own.

On Jul 16, 3:52 pm, "Crescentius Vespasianus" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> I couldn't find on your web page a way a mountain biker could cut a trail
> out of virgin land, do you know how this can be done? Like is there
> something you could drag behind a mountain bike, for trail building?

A backpack herbicide sprayer filled with Roundup works really well for
clearing the vegetation out of the way.
Not that I've ever done that...

You can also rent a self-propelled rototiller for about $75/day and
really go to town.

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:37:13 -0700, CowPunk <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Jul 15, 5:23 pm, Slack <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 15:41:34 -0700, CowPunk <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>> by

>> > Actually most used bikes end up on a ship back to China.
>> >http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A0DE6DC113EF937A25753...

>> You could find a more recent story? "AP Published: October 14, 1986"
>> --
>> Slack

> Here you go sweetie.
>
> http://www.sfbayguardian.com/

Let me guess, your screensaver looks something like this
http://wallstreetjackass.typepad.com/raptureready/images/signs_you_may_be_gay.jpg
?
--
Slack

> A backpack herbicide sprayer filled with Roundup works really well for
> clearing the vegetation out of the way.
> Not that I've ever done that...
>
> You can also rent a self-propelled rototiller for about $75/day and
> really go to town.

------------
I was thinking more like a carbon fiber plow, that I could pull from the
rear of my 29er.

On Jul 16, 9:20 pm, Slack <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:37:13 -0700, CowPunk <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Jul 15, 5:23 pm, Slack <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> by

> >> You could find a more recent story? "AP Published: October 14, 1986"
> >> --
> >> Slack

> > Here you go sweetie.

> >http://www.sfbayguardian.com/