Road Cycling · Public discussion

Race Radios and 2003 USCF rules

Started by Y2kc0wb0y · · Last activity · 29 posts · 1,949 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
23 January 2003
Last activity
31 January 2003
Original author
Y2kc0wb0y
Posts
29
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,949
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 29
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. This year a new rule was posted and approved by the USCF.org regarding the use of radios during any
    non Pro1/2 race. This rule includes Cat3 racers down.

    Personally, I cannot remember one race related crash last year related to race radios. I raced the
    entire season Cat 4 and never had a single problem within our 50 plus rider fields where some turkey
    took a rider(s) out because he had to tell his Director Sportif that he wasn't going up the road
    because he was tried.

    However, I can remember a few crashes trying to grab a water bottle and OOPs.. dropping it from say
    the 5th or 6th spot into a nice crowd of 50 or 60 zone 5 racers... Ouch! .. I didn't don't mom!

    I am of the opinion that this rule is good for Cat4 down because honestly if you reach Cat3 status I
    think your well on your way to mastering the handling of your bike.

    What's next? No water bottles for anybody but Pro/1/2... I mean geez!!!

    How do we protest this rule? We need to protest this rule. [email hidden]

  2. Quoted message said:

    Subject: Race Radios and 2003 USCF rules

    Quoted message said:

    How do we protest this rule? We need to protest this rule.

    YOU HAVE GOT TO BE [censored] KIDDING ME?

    RIGHT?

    YOU NEED A RADIO IN A CAT 3 RACE? WHAT THE [censored] FOR? TO ASK YOUR "DIRECTOR" IF ITS TIME TO BRING
    BACK THE BREAK IN YOUR 15 MILE OFFICE PARK CRIT?

    JESUS, JUST RIDE AT THE FRONT AND USE YOUR BRAIN FOR GODS SAKE. THE RULE IS JUST AS MUCH ABOUT
    TEACHING YOU ABOUT RACING YOUR BIKE AS IT IS ABOUT YOU RIDING SAFELY.

    OH, AND IF YOU ARE GOING TO TELL ME THAT YOU KNOW ALL ABOUT HOW TO RACE, THEN
    A) WHAT DO YOU NEED THE RADIO FOR, AND B) WHY ARE YOU STILL A 4?

    THANKS SHARON

    ps: I was gonna start typing normally again, but douchebags like this just [censored] me off too much.
    Maybe Avon was right, and I do have some anger management issues......

  3. y2kc0wb0y said:

    This year a new rule was posted and approved by the USCF.org regarding the use of radios during
    any non Pro1/2 race. This rule includes Cat3 racers down.

    Can you still listen to MiniDisc players while you race?

  4. "y2kc0wb0y" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    This year a new rule was posted and approved by the USCF.org


    regarding the

    Quoted message said:

    use of radios during any non Pro1/2 race. This rule includes Cat3 racers down.

    Personally, I cannot remember one race related crash last year


    related to

    Quoted message said:

    race radios. I raced the entire season Cat 4

    What makes you think the rule is about crashes? It might be aimed at encouraging riders to learn how
    to race by using their own eyes.

    JT

    --
    *******************************************
    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit jt10000.comjt10000.com
    *******************************************

  5. "y2kc0wb0y" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    This year a new rule was posted and approved by the USCF.org regarding the use of radios during
    any non Pro1/2 race. This rule includes Cat3 racers down.

    Personally, I cannot remember one race related crash last year related to race radios. I raced the
    entire season Cat 4 and never had a single problem within our 50 plus rider fields where some
    turkey took a rider(s) out because he had to tell his Director Sportif that he wasn't going up the
    road because he was tried.

    However, I can remember a few crashes trying to grab a water bottle and OOPs.. dropping it
    from say the 5th or 6th spot into a nice crowd of 50 or 60 zone 5 racers... Ouch! .. I didn't
    don't mom!

    I am of the opinion that this rule is good for Cat4 down because honestly if you reach Cat3 status
    I think your well on your way to mastering the handling of your bike.

    What's next? No water bottles for anybody but Pro/1/2... I mean geez!!!

    How do we protest this rule? We need to protest this rule. [email hidden]

    I think we need to protest this as well, so that dropped riders who didn't pay attention to the
    course can radio in and get directions back to start.

  6. "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "y2kc0wb0y" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    This year a new rule was posted and approved by the USCF.org


    regarding the

    Quoted message said:

    use of radios during any non Pro1/2 race. This rule includes Cat3 racers down.

    Personally, I cannot remember one race related crash last year


    related to

    Quoted message said:

    race radios. I raced the entire season Cat 4

    What makes you think the rule is about crashes? It might be aimed at encouraging riders to learn
    how to race by using their own eyes.

    JT

    If this rule was made in conjunction with crashes, then I'd have to agree. I was in several races
    this past season where some dumb ass took his hands off of his bars in a large group to [censored] with
    his radio and then took several others down with him for being stupid. I personally lost a good set
    of race wheels and a lot of skin to one person for doing this. He was messing with his earpiece (in
    a cat 3 race mind you), and hit one of those reflectors in the middle of the road, went down, took
    me and 6 other people with him. He didn't even offer an apology after I cussed him out loudly enough
    for everyone and God to hear. Didn't even offer to pay for my wrecked and destroyed $1000 wheelset.
    Sure it's racing, and if I'm riding expensive stuff and crash and it gets wrecked, that's part of
    the game right. But if someone destroys it for me by being stupid, someone needs to cough up some
    dough. Aside from causing crashes, who are these guys talking to during this race? Their teammates,
    whom they can see directly in front of them anyway as the groups are usually no larger than 50
    people anyway. I'm not a fan of radios in a cat 3 race, and nobody really should be. Sure we want to
    be like the pros, but damn Jimmy, you'll be alright without your Motorola.

    Tom

  7. "Tom Arsenault" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    (details of getting "caught" in crash snipped)

    Quoted message said:

    But if someone destroys it for me by being stupid, someone needs to cough up some dough.

    Right..... (I'm being sarcastic)

    JT

    --
    *******************************************
    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit jt10000.comjt10000.com
    *******************************************

  8. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    How do we protest this rule? We need to protest this rule.

    YOU HAVE GOT TO BE [censored] KIDDING ME?

    RIGHT?

    YOU NEED A RADIO IN A CAT 3 RACE? WHAT THE [censored] FOR? TO ASK YOUR "DIRECTOR" IF ITS TIME TO BRING
    BACK THE BREAK IN YOUR 15 MILE OFFICE PARK CRIT?

    JESUS, JUST RIDE AT THE FRONT AND USE YOUR BRAIN FOR GODS SAKE. THE RULE IS JUST AS MUCH ABOUT
    TEACHING YOU ABOUT RACING YOUR BIKE AS IT IS ABOUT YOU RIDING SAFELY.

    OH, AND IF YOU ARE GOING TO TELL ME THAT YOU KNOW ALL ABOUT HOW TO RACE, THEN
    A) WHAT DO YOU NEED THE RADIO FOR, AND B) WHY ARE YOU STILL A 4?

    THANKS SHARON

    ps: I was gonna start typing normally again, but douchebags like this just [censored] me off too much.
    Maybe Avon was right, and I do have some anger management issues......

    Sharon, I am sorry that you feel strongly about this argument and feel a need to insult the comment;
    however, that is your right and will not hold it against you. I can see how bicycle racing might be
    good for your anger management.
    A)For the issue of why does our team or any team need a race radio I say this should be obivous to
    you an many like you since the best racers use a radio. Organization and communication. During any
    giving race if you communicate your plans to a team mate out loud right next to him/her your going
    to blow your plan before it even starts. I suppose we should use hand signals?
    A1) Flexibility. During any given race a well thought out pre-race plan can and often changes. As in
    business, like racing, you need to be able to adapt quickly to insure success. A3) Advice. If
    you have had any experience in coaching, you'll relize that coaches see things differently from
    the sidelines. That intelligence per say is valuable information to communicate into the team
    ... don't you think? Of course you think. B) As for why I am Cat 4 still, that alone is my
    burden and mine only to bare. I will say this...Masters racing doesn't give points to USCF
    categories.

    I still think this rule is bogus.

    y2kc0wb0y

  9. "y2kc0wb0y" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    A)For the issue of why does our team or any team need a race radio I say this should be obivous to
    you an many like you since the best racers use a radio.

    Here is the difference....the best racers do use radios, but you--like me--are a Cat 4. In case you
    have not figured it out, if you're a Cat 4, you are not one of the best. Not even close. If you or I
    were good enough to need radios, we would have radios.

  10. " Tim Mullin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "y2kc0wb0y" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    A)For the issue of why does our team or any team need a race radio I say this should be obivous
    to you an many like you since the best racers use a radio.

    Here is the difference....the best racers do use radios, but you--like me--are a Cat 4. In case
    you have not figured it out, if you're a Cat 4, you are not one of the best. Not even close. If
    you or I were good enough to need radios, we would have radios.

    I don't really think this issue is about being the best or racing with the best. I think we are
    discusing safety. I will again state that you can just as easily drop a water bottle and cause a
    crash or even cause a crash because your drinking from a water bottle as you can from que'in the mic
    on a race radio. Cat 4 or Cat 1. [censored] happens. As for being the best, I consider myself lucky to
    practice a healthy lifestyle and that's all. I have no plans of turning Pro at 32. I am competely
    happy racing at my level. I have a sub hour 40k TT and that is my only personal goal I strive for
    each season. Beyond that I race for my teammates only. DOMESTIQUE... hence the race radio issue.

  11. [email hidden] (y2kc0wb0y) wrote: <cut>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    A)For the issue of why does our team or any team need a race radio I say this should be
    obivous to you an many like you since the best racers use a radio.

    Quoted message said:

    <cut>

    I don't really think this issue is about being the best or racing with the best. I think we are
    discusing safety. <cut>

    I'm having trouble keeping up with whether you're discussing others who use radios who happen to be
    the best, or are you discussing safety? Did you rack up a bunch of victories with your radios last
    year? What secret plan did you carry out that didn't become painfully obvious when you or one of
    your teammates started to ride faster? I'm assuming that there isn't too much planning needed when
    you or a teammate is already off the front winning the race.

    If you really cared about this, you and your club, oops, I mean "team" would have known that it was
    up for discussion during the USA Cycling rules revision process, and you would have participated.
    You don't care, so you're here whining on the internet, which never accomplishes anything at all.

    I know this is against the rules, but have you thought about selling those things over on r.b.m?

  12. "y2kc0wb0y" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I don't really think this issue is about being the best or racing with the best. I think we are
    discusing safety.

    I am not discussing safety. I am talking about practicality. Are there really that many (any?) races
    a 3 or 4 can compete in that radios will really make a difference in? How many teams in those races
    are organized and/or strong enough to take advantage of radios? Damn few, from the races I've been
    in or watched.

  13. [email hidden] (Sharon Peters) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Subject: Race Radios and 2003 USCF rules

    Quoted message said:

    How do we protest this rule? We need to protest this rule.

    YOU HAVE GOT TO BE [censored] KIDDING ME?

    RIGHT?

    YOU NEED A RADIO IN A CAT 3 RACE? WHAT THE [censored] FOR? TO ASK YOUR "DIRECTOR" IF ITS TIME TO BRING
    BACK THE BREAK IN YOUR 15 MILE OFFICE PARK CRIT?

    JESUS, JUST RIDE AT THE FRONT AND USE YOUR BRAIN FOR GODS SAKE. THE RULE IS JUST AS MUCH ABOUT
    TEACHING YOU ABOUT RACING YOUR BIKE AS IT IS ABOUT YOU RIDING SAFELY.

    OH, AND IF YOU ARE GOING TO TELL ME THAT YOU KNOW ALL ABOUT HOW TO RACE, THEN
    A) WHAT DO YOU NEED THE RADIO FOR, AND B) WHY ARE YOU STILL A 4?

    THANKS SHARON

    ps: I was gonna start typing normally again, but douchebags like this just [censored] me off too much.
    Maybe Avon was right, and I do have some anger management issues......

    IS IT JUST ME OR IS IT HOT WHEN SHARON GETS ALL MAD AND TALKS WITH A FILTHY MOUTH?

    ROD KINGSTON 1ST PLACE 2002 WINDY HILLS CYCLING CHALLENGE 4TH PLACE COMPOSTING CORP RACE FOR FREEDOM
    2002 5TH 20 YARD FOOT RACE, RECESS, 5TH GRADE

  14. Quoted message said:

    I know this is against the rules, but have you thought about selling those things over on r.b.m?

    Teehehee... That's funny.

  15. Tim, I agree that in some circumstance race radios are not a logical choice; however, USCF didn't
    make this choice to remove radios on a need only basis. They made their decision based entirely on
    safety. Therefore, I state if you make it to Cat3 your well on your way to mastery of your skills
    during racing conditions: including que'in a mic on a RR.

    I will again say that your just as likely to crash a bike(in a race) reaching for a water bottle as
    you are que'in your mic.

    y2kc0wb0y

    Quoted message said:


    I am not discussing safety. I am talking about practicality. Are there really that many (any?)
    races a 3 or 4 can compete in that radios will really make a difference in? How many teams in
    those races are organized and/or strong enough to take advantage of radios? Damn few, from the
    races I've been in or watched.

  16. In article <[email hidden]>, y2kc0wb0y

    Quoted message said:

    Tim, I agree that in some circumstance race radios are not a logical choice; however, USCF didn't
    make this choice to remove radios on a need only basis. They made their decision based entirely on
    safety. Therefore, I state if you make it to Cat3 your well on your way to mastery of your skills
    during racing conditions: including que'in a mic on a RR.

    Are you a mind reader? Have you talked to each of the USCF Board members who voted for this rule
    change? If not then how do you know on what basis this rule change was adopted? I'm sure there are
    several different reasons why USCF Board members voted for this rule change. I'm sure safety was on
    reason but it probably wasn't the only reason.

    Casey

  17. Casey Kerrigan <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, y2kc0wb0y
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Casey, You're right .. I don't read minds. I need to address the source. I shall return
    with a quote.

  18. The new rule makes about as much practical sense as the old rule mandating black shorts.

    Not that I think very many Cat 3-5's have much use for radios.

    I think this speaks more to the federation'sattitude of shunning grass-roots racers in favor of the
    elite riders. I say: if they wanna play "pro" and shell out a few bucks for a stupid radio system,
    let 'em. Why step on them? To remind them that they're mere newbies (or that they suck)?

    Personally, I always get a chuckle when my "teammates" (ha) call me over to talk 'strategy' before
    the big Cat 4/5 races ("ok, we're all working for tommy today, he only needs one more upgrade
    point"😉...Uh yeah, like my yelling "Flyer left" is going to [censored] help him. If he sprints real
    hard, then he'll do well. But they seem to enjoy thinking they're just like Lance's team. So why
    burst their bubble?

    I also don't see how banning radios will help the radio manufacturers any.

    I say the next move they should make would be to ban Spinergy's. I hate looking at the friggin
    annoying things. Too distracting. A cat 5 could crash looking at one of those.

    "y2kc0wb0y" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    This year a new rule was posted and approved by the USCF.org regarding the use of radios during
    any non Pro1/2 race. This rule includes Cat3 racers down.

    Personally, I cannot remember one race related crash last year related to race radios. I raced the
    entire season Cat 4 and never had a single problem within our 50 plus rider fields where some
    turkey took a rider(s) out because he had to tell his Director Sportif that he wasn't going up the
    road because he was tried.

    However, I can remember a few crashes trying to grab a water bottle and OOPs.. dropping it
    from say the 5th or 6th spot into a nice crowd of 50 or 60 zone 5 racers... Ouch! .. I didn't
    don't mom!

    I am of the opinion that this rule is good for Cat4 down because honestly if you reach Cat3 status
    I think your well on your way to mastering the handling of your bike.

    What's next? No water bottles for anybody but Pro/1/2... I mean geez!!!

    How do we protest this rule? We need to protest this rule. [email hidden]

  19. Why have the radios at all then? Sounds like they are just plain dangerous. If a cat 3 can crash
    [censored] with an earpiece, then certainly some sprinter from [censored] Oklahoma can too.

    [email hidden] (Tom Arsenault) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "y2kc0wb0y" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    This year a new rule was posted and approved by the USCF.org


    regarding the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    use of radios during any non Pro1/2 race. This rule includes Cat3 racers down.

    Personally, I cannot remember one race related crash last year


    related to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    race radios. I raced the entire season Cat 4

    What makes you think the rule is about crashes? It might be aimed at encouraging riders to learn
    how to race by using their own eyes.

    JT

    If this rule was made in conjunction with crashes, then I'd have to agree. I was in several races
    this past season where some dumb ass took his hands off of his bars in a large group to [censored] with
    his radio and then took several others down with him for being stupid. I personally lost a good
    set of race wheels and a lot of skin to one person for doing this. He was messing with his
    earpiece (in a cat 3 race mind you), and hit one of those reflectors in the middle of the road,
    went down, took me and 6 other people with him. He didn't even offer an apology after I cussed him
    out loudly enough for everyone and God to hear. Didn't even offer to pay for my wrecked and
    destroyed $1000 wheelset. Sure it's racing, and if I'm riding expensive stuff and crash and it
    gets wrecked, that's part of the game right. But if someone destroys it for me by being stupid,
    someone needs to cough up some dough. Aside from causing crashes, who are these guys talking to
    during this race? Their teammates, whom they can see directly in front of them anyway as the
    groups are usually no larger than 50 people anyway. I'm not a fan of radios in a cat 3 race, and
    nobody really should be. Sure we want to be like the pros, but damn Jimmy, you'll be alright
    without your Motorola.

    Tom

  20. "y2kc0wb0y" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Tim, I agree that in some circumstance race radios are not a logical

    Some? How about most? In pro races, where you have fields well in excess of 100 riders, and a
    caravan of team cars, radios make sense. How many Masters or 3/4 races meet those standards? I don't
    believe most elite fields need radios either, btw.

    Quoted message said:

    choice; however, USCF didn't make this choice to remove radios on a need only basis.

    No they didn't, but since they are allowed in pro races, and often you'll have a Pro/1/2 field, it
    makes sense to allow elite-level amatures to use them at least some of the time.

    Quoted message said:

    They made their decision based entirely on safety.

    An how, exactly, did you come to this conclusion?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.