General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Race Report - Gum Tree 10K

Started by Frank Boettcher · · Last activity · 13 posts · 165 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
14 May 2007
Last activity
16 May 2007
Original author
Frank Boettcher
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
165
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The Gum Tree 10K took place on 5/12, in Tupelo, Mississippi. Once
    considered one of the top fifty 10K's in the U. S., participation had
    fallen in recent years, (something to do with the elimination of the
    free beer truck maybe) but was up a little this year to 900
    participants.

    The race is normally not an easy one (at least for me) because it
    starts and runs in the shade for about 3 miles with lots of ninety
    degree turns and a slight uphill grade. Then you get the downhill
    benefit all at once on a steep, short highway ramp. I suspect the
    uphill portion slows me down a few seconds a mile and the downhill
    doesn't make it up being too quick and steep to take advantage of.
    At that point you are in full sun the rest of the way and at 9:00 AM
    in Mississippi, that is hot. Humidity was high and there was no
    breeze, so many fade in the last mile. While not achieving negative
    splits, I managed to maintain.

    Traveling Kenyan's took the top five male money spots with the winning
    time of 29:32. Kenyan woman won the female. Masters trio and GM,
    also money spots, were all travelers.

    I was 69th overall, second in male 60-64, with a personal best 10K
    time of 46:31. I was happy with the time, as my 2007 goal is to break
    46:00 and I know there are flatter, cooler races late in the year
    where that will be possible. I was happy to finish in the top ten
    percent. My time was over a minute better than my previous PB and 3.5
    minutes better than my finish in the same race last year. I'm very
    happy to be sixty and still manage to be on the improvement side of
    the curve. How long will that last.........?

    I'd post a link, but the Tupelo Running Club has not set them up on
    their web site yet.

    All in all, a fun race that coincides with a weekend arts and crafts
    festival. One to consider next year if you happen to be close enough.

    Frank

  2. Frank Boettcher said:


    The Gum Tree 10K took place on 5/12, in Tupelo, Mississippi. Once

    Thanks for the report and congrats on the PR.

    Are there really gum trees there ?

    Cheers,
    --
    Elflord

  3. "Frank Boettcher" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    The Gum Tree 10K took place on 5/12, in Tupelo, Mississippi. Once
    considered one of the top fifty 10K's in the U. S., participation had
    fallen in recent years, (something to do with the elimination of the
    free beer truck maybe) but was up a little this year to 900
    participants.

    The race is normally not an easy one (at least for me) because it
    starts and runs in the shade for about 3 miles with lots of ninety
    degree turns and a slight uphill grade. Then you get the downhill
    benefit all at once on a steep, short highway ramp. I suspect the
    uphill portion slows me down a few seconds a mile and the downhill
    doesn't make it up being too quick and steep to take advantage of.
    At that point you are in full sun the rest of the way and at 9:00 AM
    in Mississippi, that is hot. Humidity was high and there was no
    breeze, so many fade in the last mile. While not achieving negative
    splits, I managed to maintain.

    Yup, they ought to turn the course around - have the short hill to climb up,
    then let you enjoy that slight downhill for a while. I quite hate slight
    uphills; For enjoyable running, I'd much rather have steep uphills and
    gradual downhills. A side note - in my first 50 miler, there were 3 laps,
    and one section had this 4-5 mile gradual uphill. Never ever going back to
    that one.

    Quoted message said:

    Traveling Kenyan's took the top five male money spots with the winning
    time of 29:32. Kenyan woman won the female. Masters trio and GM,
    also money spots, were all travelers.

    I was 69th overall, second in male 60-64, with a personal best 10K
    time of 46:31. I was happy with the time, as my 2007 goal is to break
    46:00 and I know there are flatter, cooler races late in the year
    where that will be possible. I was happy to finish in the top ten
    percent. My time was over a minute better than my previous PB and 3.5
    minutes better than my finish in the same race last year. I'm very
    happy to be sixty and still manage to be on the improvement side of
    the curve. How long will that last.........?

    Nice PR, congratuations for placing 2nd in your group. I'm in 40's and I'm
    about the same speed. You're improvement timewise to <46 will come on a
    faster course.

    -Tony

    Quoted message said:

    I'd post a link, but the Tupelo Running Club has not set them up on
    their web site yet.

    All in all, a fun race that coincides with a weekend arts and crafts
    festival. One to consider next year if you happen to be close enough.

    Frank

  4. Frank said:

    I was 69th overall, second in male 60-64, with a personal best 10K
    time of 46:31.

    Congrats, Frank - three and a half minutes improvement over last year
    is no joke!

    Do you have other specific 10k races in your sights, for your assault
    on 46?

    Hope you remembered to BYOB for afterward. Shame about the truck.

  5. On Mon, 14 May 2007 14:27:32 +0000 (UTC), Elflord <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Frank Boettcher said:


    The Gum Tree 10K took place on 5/12, in Tupelo, Mississippi. Once

    Thanks for the report and congrats on the PR.

    Thanks

    Quoted message said:

    Are there really gum trees there ?

    Yep, place is named for them:

    About Tupelo Trees: Water Tupelo , also called cottongum, sourgum,
    swamp tupelo, tupelo-gum, and water-gum, is a large, long-lived tree
    that grows in southern swamps and flood plains where its root system
    is periodically under water.

    Location is not the source of Tupelo honey, which is honey from
    flowering Tupelo Gums, but comes from just north of Apalachicola,
    Florida

    Quoted message said:

    Cheers,

  6. Charlie Pendejo said:
    Frank said:

    I was 69th overall, second in male 60-64, with a personal best 10K
    time of 46:31.

    Congrats, Frank - three and a half minutes improvement over last year
    is no joke!


    Thanks

    Quoted message said:

    Do you have other specific 10k races in your sights, for your assault
    on 46?


    If I don't hit it before, the Pass to Bay 10K held in Pass Christian,
    MS, mid December. None flatter and usually good cool running temps.
    Only hill is a paved railroad crossing with about a two foot rise. It
    is an out and back so you do it twice. A touch boring (the race, not
    the party after) but fast. Gives the race director fits scheduliing
    around trains, though.

    Race used to actually go across Bay of St. Louis and finish on the
    other side of the bay, however, Katrina wiped out the bridge.

    Quoted message said:

    Hope you remembered to BYOB for afterward. Shame about the truck.

    Yeah, they eliminated it before I started running the race about four
    years ago. I'm told it used to draw about 2500. Amazing what a draw
    free beer can be.

  7. On Mon, 14 May 2007 14:59:06 GMT, "Tony S." <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "Frank Boettcher" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    The Gum Tree 10K took place on 5/12, in Tupelo, Mississippi. Once
    considered one of the top fifty 10K's in the U. S., participation had
    fallen in recent years, (something to do with the elimination of the
    free beer truck maybe) but was up a little this year to 900
    participants.

    The race is normally not an easy one (at least for me) because it
    starts and runs in the shade for about 3 miles with lots of ninety
    degree turns and a slight uphill grade. Then you get the downhill
    benefit all at once on a steep, short highway ramp. I suspect the
    uphill portion slows me down a few seconds a mile and the downhill
    doesn't make it up being too quick and steep to take advantage of.
    At that point you are in full sun the rest of the way and at 9:00 AM
    in Mississippi, that is hot. Humidity was high and there was no
    breeze, so many fade in the last mile. While not achieving negative
    splits, I managed to maintain.

    Yup, they ought to turn the course around - have the short hill to climb up,
    then let you enjoy that slight downhill for a while. I quite hate slight
    uphills; For enjoyable running, I'd much rather have steep uphills and
    gradual downhills. A side note - in my first 50 miler, there were 3 laps,
    and one section had this 4-5 mile gradual uphill. Never ever going back to
    that one.

    Quoted message said:

    Traveling Kenyan's took the top five male money spots with the winning
    time of 29:32. Kenyan woman won the female. Masters trio and GM,
    also money spots, were all travelers.

    I was 69th overall, second in male 60-64, with a personal best 10K
    time of 46:31. I was happy with the time, as my 2007 goal is to break
    46:00 and I know there are flatter, cooler races late in the year
    where that will be possible. I was happy to finish in the top ten
    percent. My time was over a minute better than my previous PB and 3.5
    minutes better than my finish in the same race last year. I'm very
    happy to be sixty and still manage to be on the improvement side of
    the curve. How long will that last.........?

    Nice PR, congratuations for placing 2nd in your group. I'm in 40's and I'm
    about the same speed. You're improvement timewise to <46 will come on a
    faster course.

    -Tony


    Thanks.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'd post a link, but the Tupelo Running Club has not set them up on
    their web site yet.

    All in all, a fun race that coincides with a weekend arts and crafts
    festival. One to consider next year if you happen to be close enough.

    Frank


  8. Frank Boettcher said:

    The Gum Tree 10K took place on 5/12, in Tupelo, Mississippi. Once


    ....

    My time was over a minute better than my previous PB and 3.5

    Quoted message said:

    minutes better than my finish in the same race last year. I'm very
    happy to be sixty and still manage to be on the improvement side of
    the curve. How long will that last.........?

    Great job, Frank. Congrats on the continued improvement.

    Dot

    --
    "The goal is training and adaptation, not destruction and injury."
    - John Hardy
    http://www.mountainrunning.coolrunning.com.au/misc/training.shtml

  9. Dot dot.h@#duh?att.net said:
    Frank Boettcher said:

    The Gum Tree 10K took place on 5/12, in Tupelo, Mississippi. Once


    ...

    My time was over a minute better than my previous PB and 3.5

    Quoted message said:

    minutes better than my finish in the same race last year. I'm very
    happy to be sixty and still manage to be on the improvement side of
    the curve. How long will that last.........?

    Great job, Frank. Congrats on the continued improvement.

    Dot


    Thank you.

  10. Nice race Frank. Congrats on the PB and the 2nd place.
    Great to still be getting PRs at 60.
    How old were you when you started competing?

    Anthony.

  11. Anthony said:


    Nice race Frank. Congrats on the PB and the 2nd place.
    Great to still be getting PRs at 60.
    How old were you when you started competing?

    Anthony.

    Thanks,

    About 55. I had run, off and on, for a number of years prior to that
    but got serious about it at 55. At that point 30 lbs. drifted off
    over the five year period and race times started improving. My first
    Gum Tree was 58:33 so you can see what dropping a few lbs., upping
    your base mileage, and adding a little bit of speed work can do.

    Frank

  12. Frank Boettcher said:

    Yep, place is named for them:

    About Tupelo Trees: Water Tupelo , also called cottongum, sourgum,
    swamp tupelo, tupelo-gum, and water-gum, is a large, long-lived tree
    that grows in southern swamps and flood plains where its root system
    is periodically under water.

    Got it. The reason I asked is because we use "gum trees" to mean eucalypts
    in Australia. They are rare outside Australia, though there are some in CA.

    Cheers,
    --
    Elflord

  13. "Elflord" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Frank Boettcher said:

    Yep, place is named for them:

    About Tupelo Trees: Water Tupelo , also called cottongum, sourgum,
    swamp tupelo, tupelo-gum, and water-gum, is a large, long-lived tree
    that grows in southern swamps and flood plains where its root system
    is periodically under water.

    Got it. The reason I asked is because we use "gum trees" to mean eucalypts
    in Australia. They are rare outside Australia, though there are some in
    CA.

    Donovan - we have quite a lot of Australian Eucaplyptus trees here in
    Israel.
    Brought out by pioneers around the start of the 1900s to help drain the
    swamps...

    Makes me feel more at home :-)

    Anthony.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.