General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Race Report-Half Marathon-Long

Started by Mrsg · · Last activity · 7 posts · 307 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
7 May 2005
Last activity
9 May 2005
Original author
Mrsg
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
307
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Today was an interesting race day. My friend, Lisa, and I planned to
    run together. We are pretty equally matched speedwise and both wanted to
    finish the half marathon in under two hours. Neither of us has ever run that
    fast, but we've come close. We ran a half marathon in the fall together and
    just missed the two hour mark. I finished in 2:03, and Lisa came in at a
    few seconds over two hours. We had high hopes for today.
    We planned to run at a pace of 9:05 per mile so that we could just make
    our goal. We feared going out too fast. I felt strong, and we did the first
    six miles at a very even 8:55, so we were a bit ahead of our planned pace.
    Lisa had started having a side cramp at about mile four, and she was trying
    hard to run through it, but by mile 6 she told me to go on. She couldn't
    keep up the pace.
    We had agreed to separate if one of us slowed, but when I took a good
    look at my friend I just couldn't leave her. Lisa's coloring wasn't good,
    and I noticed her hands were shaking. It was bad enough that a medic on the
    sidelines asked her if she was alright. There's no way I was leaving her.
    We slowed and began walking through all of the water stops. Her breathing
    was more labored than it should have been.
    I gave Lisa part of a Powerbar, and that seemed to help a bit. I talked
    to her and those around us and just tried to help keep her spirits up. She
    seemed to feel a bit better with each mile, and we began to just enjoy the
    more comfortable pace and the beautiful day.
    At mile ten I was horrified to realize that I had given Lisa so much of
    my attention that I hadn't noticed my own condition. I looked down to see
    that my legs were covered with blood. I had started my period the previous
    afternoon. Of course this was poor timing for the race, but one can't
    always control these things. I thought that my visit to the restroom just
    prior to the race start would provide me with adequate protection. I was
    wrong.
    It's a good thing that this happened to me at the age of forty-five and
    not at twenty-five. When I was younger I would have been mortified, hidden
    behind something at the first possible moment and never shown my face again.
    At forty-five blood covered legs in a public place struck me as funny. Lisa
    and I laughed hysterically, picked up some water at the next water station,
    went behind a van and cleaned me up. We stopped at the next porta-potty to
    finish the job. What a hoot today was.
    We finished in 2:16. That's not the time we wanted, but it's not bad
    considering some walking, some slow running and some much needed pit stops.
    It was a beautiful day, and I'm really looking forward to running in a full
    marathon in three weeks.
    Michelle

  2. Anthony <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for the report. Seems like you managed to enjoy the race, even if


    it

    Quoted message said:

    didn't go exactly according to plan!

    Have you got a target time for the marathon?

    I'm expecting to run somewhere between 4:10 and 4:20. If conditions are
    just right I might be able to run a bit faster, but we'll see. I seem to be
    enjoying the longer distances more and more. I doubt I'll ever be very
    fast, but I sure am having fun.
    Michelle

  3. Thanks for the report. Seems like you managed to enjoy the race, even if it
    didn't go exactly according to plan!

    Have you got a target time for the marathon?

    Anthony.
    "Mrsg" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Today was an interesting race day. My friend, Lisa, and I planned to
    run together. We are pretty equally matched speedwise and both wanted to
    finish the half marathon in under two hours. Neither of us has ever run
    that
    fast, but we've come close. We ran a half marathon in the fall together
    and
    just missed the two hour mark. I finished in 2:03, and Lisa came in at a
    few seconds over two hours. We had high hopes for today.
    We planned to run at a pace of 9:05 per mile so that we could just make
    our goal. We feared going out too fast. I felt strong, and we did the
    first
    six miles at a very even 8:55, so we were a bit ahead of our planned pace.
    Lisa had started having a side cramp at about mile four, and she was
    trying
    hard to run through it, but by mile 6 she told me to go on. She couldn't
    keep up the pace.
    We had agreed to separate if one of us slowed, but when I took a good
    look at my friend I just couldn't leave her. Lisa's coloring wasn't good,
    and I noticed her hands were shaking. It was bad enough that a medic on
    the
    sidelines asked her if she was alright. There's no way I was leaving her.
    We slowed and began walking through all of the water stops. Her breathing
    was more labored than it should have been.
    I gave Lisa part of a Powerbar, and that seemed to help a bit. I
    talked
    to her and those around us and just tried to help keep her spirits up.
    She
    seemed to feel a bit better with each mile, and we began to just enjoy the
    more comfortable pace and the beautiful day.
    At mile ten I was horrified to realize that I had given Lisa so much of
    my attention that I hadn't noticed my own condition. I looked down to see
    that my legs were covered with blood. I had started my period the
    previous
    afternoon. Of course this was poor timing for the race, but one can't
    always control these things. I thought that my visit to the restroom just
    prior to the race start would provide me with adequate protection. I was
    wrong.
    It's a good thing that this happened to me at the age of forty-five and
    not at twenty-five. When I was younger I would have been mortified,
    hidden
    behind something at the first possible moment and never shown my face
    again.
    At forty-five blood covered legs in a public place struck me as funny.
    Lisa
    and I laughed hysterically, picked up some water at the next water
    station,
    went behind a van and cleaned me up. We stopped at the next porta-potty
    to
    finish the job. What a hoot today was.
    We finished in 2:16. That's not the time we wanted, but it's not bad
    considering some walking, some slow running and some much needed pit
    stops.
    It was a beautiful day, and I'm really looking forward to running in a
    full
    marathon in three weeks.
    Michelle

  4. Quoted message said:

    We finished in 2:16. That's not the time we wanted, but it's not


    bad

    Quoted message said:

    considering some walking, some slow running and some much needed pit


    stops.

    Congrats on finishing in a little more time than you'd planned, but a
    whole lot more grace and humor!

    Quoted message said:

    I'm really looking forward to running in a full marathon
    in three weeks.

    Well, as often as it's said that the mysterious marathon always holds
    surprises, if you're on a roughly lunar cycle you can at least rule out
    pulling an Uta Pippig there. Good luck.

  5. You think maybe Lisa got a bit warmish? The weather had been
    so cool until race day....

    With only 6-7 weeks to prepare (post foot surgery), I was
    happy to just cross the finish line. I was so under trained
    that I decided to walk a minute or two at each water station...
    I had a ball this year. No pressure.

    Funny how as we age we care less about what others think!

    L

    What Marathon are you doing?

    Mrsg said:

    Today was an interesting race day. My friend, Lisa, and I planned to
    run together. We are pretty equally matched speedwise and both wanted to
    finish the half marathon in under two hours. Neither of us has ever run that
    fast, but we've come close. We ran a half marathon in the fall together and
    just missed the two hour mark. I finished in 2:03, and Lisa came in at a
    few seconds over two hours. We had high hopes for today.
    We planned to run at a pace of 9:05 per mile so that we could just make
    our goal. We feared going out too fast. I felt strong, and we did the first
    six miles at a very even 8:55, so we were a bit ahead of our planned pace.
    Lisa had started having a side cramp at about mile four, and she was trying
    hard to run through it, but by mile 6 she told me to go on. She couldn't
    keep up the pace.
    We had agreed to separate if one of us slowed, but when I took a good
    look at my friend I just couldn't leave her. Lisa's coloring wasn't good,
    and I noticed her hands were shaking. It was bad enough that a medic on the
    sidelines asked her if she was alright. There's no way I was leaving her.
    We slowed and began walking through all of the water stops. Her breathing
    was more labored than it should have been.
    I gave Lisa part of a Powerbar, and that seemed to help a bit. I talked
    to her and those around us and just tried to help keep her spirits up. She
    seemed to feel a bit better with each mile, and we began to just enjoy the
    more comfortable pace and the beautiful day.
    At mile ten I was horrified to realize that I had given Lisa so much of
    my attention that I hadn't noticed my own condition. I looked down to see
    that my legs were covered with blood. I had started my period the previous
    afternoon. Of course this was poor timing for the race, but one can't
    always control these things. I thought that my visit to the restroom just
    prior to the race start would provide me with adequate protection. I was
    wrong.
    It's a good thing that this happened to me at the age of forty-five and
    not at twenty-five. When I was younger I would have been mortified, hidden
    behind something at the first possible moment and never shown my face again.
    At forty-five blood covered legs in a public place struck me as funny. Lisa
    and I laughed hysterically, picked up some water at the next water station,
    went behind a van and cleaned me up. We stopped at the next porta-potty to
    finish the job. What a hoot today was.
    We finished in 2:16. That's not the time we wanted, but it's not bad
    considering some walking, some slow running and some much needed pit stops.
    It was a beautiful day, and I'm really looking forward to running in a full
    marathon in three weeks.
    Michelle

  6. Lou ~ Where's
    Laurie?

  7. Leo Reed <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:LRufe.63054$r53.32955@attbi_s21...

    Quoted message said:

    You think maybe Lisa got a bit warmish? The weather had been
    so cool until race day....

    I do think the heat was a problem for Lisa. The temps were in the fifties
    at the start, but by the six mile mark they were rising fast. She was also
    fighting a cold. That may have made her more sensitive to the heat problem.

    Quoted message said:

    With only 6-7 weeks to prepare (post foot surgery), I was
    happy to just cross the finish line. I was so under trained
    that I decided to walk a minute or two at each water station...
    I had a ball this year. No pressure.

    I'm glad to hear that you made it out this year. Running with no real time
    goal can be a lot of fun. After Saturday I almost think I should go back to
    approaching more races that way. I certainly had a good time too.

    What Marathon are you doing?

    I'm running in the Lakeshore Marathon in Chicago on Memorial Day. This is a
    small race for Chicago. The course is along the lake. This is the fourth
    year it has been run. I've heard that it has not been organized very well
    in years past, but that the directors have put a lot of things in place to
    improve it. I'm hoping this means the race will be impeccably run for 2005.
    Wish me luck.
    Michelle

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.