Race report

Couldn't avoid posting a mini report from today's race.

In a rush of ill-founded enthusiasm, I decided to try my luck in the
local series Group 1 again, instead of the somewhat lame Group 2.

Today's course was 4 laps of a hilly circuit for a total of 60km.
While the course is up and down the whole time, there are 2 hills
which stand out. The road surface was horrible with huge holes, frost
heaves, rocks sticking out, cracks, and lots of sand and gravel in the
turns.

But it was beautiful weather. Slight breeze, sun, and about 16C. Off
the bat I had trouble getting inot my pedal, so my good positioning at
the start line was for naught. But it didn't really matter, because
the lead car drove very slowly for the first 2km before letting
everyone go. Then it went as the say in Norwegian "ugly fast". We were
flying, and guys were bouncing in and out of potholes left and right.
On one of the hills, a guy next to me hit a hole which made him lose
control, so he swerved off the road on the left side, and slipped in
the soft gravel, only to swerve back across the road right for me. I
was ready to check him to the boards, but he managed to keep it
together. Then a fast down hill section where I tried in vain to get a
better position in the pack. The narrow road and poor surface combined
with high speed made it futile. So I hung on toward the back for
almost 2 laps before I lost contact on one of the hills. I really
tried all out, and sprinted for all I was worth to try to get back on.
No measured effort to reel them in, just hammer down. No dice. That's
when I realized my seatpost had slipped down a few cm probably when I
went through one of the innumerable holes.

Some guys rolled up behind, but I was wasted and lost contact with
them on the next hill.

A buddy of mine (who was busy trying to break away at the front when I
was getting dropped off the back!) said it was the fastest race of
this series for the last 2 years or so. The first lap even with the
slow first 2km had an average of 41km/h, the 2nd and 3rd laps averaged
almost 44km/h, before it calmed down a bit on the last lap to 41km/h.

Back to Group 2 for me. The Group 2 this time had a much better turn
out than last time, so it looks like it will be fun next time.

Joseph

In article <44a22764-d2cb-442f-9f32-5ad6d82ff05f@p39g2000prm.googlegroups.com>,
Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:

> On May 6, 12:25 pm, "[email protected]"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Couldn't avoid posting a mini report from today's race. [snip]

> Happy birthday.

Seconded.

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Robert Chung wrote:
> Happy birthday.

And the birthday present is a choice between a powermeter or a
lifetime supply of ice cream.

<[email protected]> wrote:

> So I hung on toward the back for
> almost 2 laps before I lost contact on one of the hills....
>
> Some guys rolled up behind, but I was wasted and lost contact with
> them on the next hill.

> Back to Group 2 for me. The Group 2 this time had a much better turn
> out than last time, so it looks like it will be fun next time.

You'll have to decide if you want to win the Scooper Bowl or bike
races.

"Life is about choices." -- BF

Condensing your training regimen:

1. No more scoops. (Increase W/kg)
2. Add a few watts to the the 10-40 second max efforts. (And recover
quickly.)

Those highlight the two degrees of freedom you have to work with.

Donald Munro wrote:

> And the birthday present is a choice between a powermeter or a
> lifetime supply of ice cream.

Your math sucks. A power-meter is equivalent to about a year's worth of ice
cream.

Mark
http://marcofanelli.blogspot.com

Off The Back wrote:
> Your math sucks. A power-meter is equivalent to about a year's worth of
> ice cream.

That would seem a powerful reason for him to get himself a powermeter
for his birthday. One year without ice cream would increase his power
to weight ratio and he'd be able to increase his power if he used
the powermeter correctly.

On May 8, 10:44 am, Donald Munro <[email protected]> wrote:
> Donald Munro wrote:
> >> And the birthday present is a choice between a powermeter or a lifetime
> >> supply of ice cream.

> Off The Back wrote:
> > Your math sucks. A power-meter is equivalent to about a year's worth of
> > ice cream.

> That would seem a powerful reason for him to get himself a powermeter
> for his birthday. One year without ice cream would increase his power
> to weight ratio and he'd be able to increase his power if he used
> the powermeter correctly.

But how does it taste?

Joseph