Race weight

WattsAMatta

Sep 20, 2007
What's the best time to drop ten pounds or so to get to your race weight? Earlier in the pre-season, so you're not losing weight right before your events? Or later in the pre-season so your body gets more training time without 'running lean'? Or should you just try to stay at your target weight year-round?
Cheers,
-- Bryan

WattsAMatta said:
What's the best time to drop ten pounds or so to get to your race weight? Earlier in the pre-season, so you're not losing weight right before your events? Or later in the pre-season so your body gets more training time without 'running lean'? Or should you just try to stay at your target weight year-round?
Cheers,
-- Bryan
The best time for me was always at the end of the season, when you're not training hard. I always used the "off season" that people always used to rest to get some easier (but not really easy) miles is to freshen the legs and restrict the calories. It's pretty easy to drop the weight that way. 3 to 4 brisk rides a week at 18 to 20mph at no more than 90minutes in length with only water. Just eat your regular diet.

I always find that if I train really hard I'm often very hungry - something that's not good for losing weight.

Best plan would seem to be not to gain too much and stay near your target weight if possible.

If you want some good off season diet tips go to:

www.janulrichspieeatingmasterclass.com

WattsAMatta said:
Cheers,
-- Bryan
What you should consider is that it is generally not recommended that you lose more than 1-2 pounds (~0.5-1 kg) per week, otherwise you tend to lose more muscle than you normally would at a lower rate. It can also cause your body to try to conserve what it has and may actually work against your weight loss goal. So with that said, you need to look at how much you want/need to lose and how much time that will take.

I find it hard to lose weight during intense racing as I'm resting quite a bit between races. Yes, trying to stay at a target year round is optimal, though I have yet to find anyone that feels that they "stay" there - whatever "stay" means to them.

as an alternative to putting on weight being fat, I've opted for weight lifting during the winter in an attempt to put on muscle. just upper body, I leave the lower body for the bike/trainer. In the process it seems to give my metabolism a boost, I can eat much more, and put on a little weight. most of that weight being muscle. then when riding really kicks in, the weight just comes off on its own as I stop lifting and do more longer endurance rides. makes the whole thing seem like less of a battle.

geneseo said:
as an alternative to putting on weight being fat, I've opted for weight lifting during the winter in an attempt to put on muscle. just upper body, I leave the lower body for the bike/trainer. In the process it seems to give my metabolism a boost, I can eat much more, and put on a little weight. most of that weight being muscle. then when riding really kicks in, the weight just comes off on its own as I stop lifting and do more longer endurance rides. makes the whole thing seem like less of a battle.
Agreed, but I have been using Kettlebells for the same purpose. They will get you very lean. Pick up one of Pavel's books on the Russian Kettlebell. These things are amazing.