Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Race X-lites in rain

Started by Passman · · Last activity · 10 posts · 678 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
13 August 2005
Last activity
20 August 2005
Original author
Passman
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
678
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello, I'm going to be riding tomorrow and they're calling for rain. I'll
    be using my new Bontrager Race X-Lite wheels and was wondering if I should
    be worried about water getting into the hubs. Anyone know how well these
    hubs are sealed against water leakage?

    Thanks,

    Mike

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Passman said:

    Hello, I'm going to be riding tomorrow and they're calling for rain. I'll
    be using my new Bontrager Race X-Lite wheels and was wondering if I should
    be worried about water getting into the hubs. Anyone know how well these
    hubs are sealed against water leakage?

    Thanks,

    Mike

    If you check the rims closely, you will see a small hole to allow any
    water to drain if the hole is down when you put up the bike.

    Send that rain here, please!

    HAND

  3. H M Leary said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Passman said:

    Hello, I'm going to be riding tomorrow and they're calling for rain.
    I'll be using my new Bontrager Race X-Lite wheels and was wondering
    if I should be worried about water getting into the hubs. Anyone
    know how well these hubs are sealed against water leakage?

    Thanks,

    Mike

    If you check the rims closely, you will see a small hole to allow any
    water to drain if the hole is down when you put up the bike.

    OP was asking about the hubs, however. FWIW my Bonty Race Lites still spin
    easy after two years; haven't touched 'em (don't know how for one thing)...
    Not much rain in San Diego, of course, but have gotten caught a few times...

  4. I haven't had any problems, and I've been caught in torrential rain a few
    times while riding mine.

    --
    Bob C.

    "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
    T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)
    "Passman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello, I'm going to be riding tomorrow and they're calling for rain. I'll
    be using my new Bontrager Race X-Lite wheels and was wondering if I should
    be worried about water getting into the hubs. Anyone know how well these
    hubs are sealed against water leakage?

    Thanks,

    Mike

  5. Quoted message said:

    Hello, I'm going to be riding tomorrow and they're calling for rain. I'll
    be using my new Bontrager Race X-Lite wheels and was wondering if I should
    be worried about water getting into the hubs. Anyone know how well these
    hubs are sealed against water leakage?

    Thanks,

    Mike

    The Race X-Lites may be better than many (at keeping rain out of the
    bearings) but it can still be a problem. A little rain isn't going to kill
    them, but if you're riding in hour after hour of the stuff, you'll likely
    see some get past the seals. You might pop off the axle caps and shoot a
    bunch of extra grease into them, as a barrier to keep the water out. I would
    also consider popping the axle out after the ride, to allow things to dry
    out. This is a matter of "Do as I say, not as I do" as my hubs get exposed
    to pretty nasty rain during the winter, and I don't take care of them like I
    should.

    I have yet to find any hubs that combine high performance (relatively low
    rolling resistance), light weight and high water resistance. I know of many
    that claim otherwise, but we sure do replace a lot of bearings in them! I
    almost wish that companies would stop even trying to keep water out of the
    "sealed" bearings (usually by putting caps over them) and have exposed seals
    that we could easily pry off, allowing us to re-grease the bearings as need
    be.

    By the way, I was fortunate to get to ride in one of the Discovery team cars
    during a stage of the '05 Tour de France, with one of their two mechanics in
    the back seat. I asked him about the way they clean their bikes; seems like
    customers see photos of them hosing down the bikes, which I know for a fact
    wrecks bearings. So how do their wheels stand up to that sort of abuse
    (during the bike cleaning)? Turns out they don't need to; they typically
    replace their wheels every 500 miles or so. Why? Because they can. Why
    bother with bearing maintenance (you've probably seen the old films showing
    a mechanic tearing apart hubs, bottom brackets & headsets every single day)
    when you can just treat them as a disposable item? Boggles the mind. I'd
    sure like to be the guy who gets the "old" wheels...

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bill Sornson said:
    H M Leary said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Passman said:

    Hello, I'm going to be riding tomorrow and they're calling for rain.
    I'll be using my new Bontrager Race X-Lite wheels and was wondering
    if I should be worried about water getting into the hubs. Anyone
    know how well these hubs are sealed against water leakage?

    Thanks,

    Mike

    If you check the rims closely, you will see a small hole to allow any
    water to drain if the hole is down when you put up the bike.

    OP was asking about the hubs, however. FWIW my Bonty Race Lites still spin
    easy after two years; haven't touched 'em (don't know how for one thing)...
    Not much rain in San Diego, of course, but have gotten caught a few times...

    So he did! Maybe I should larn to red agam!...🙂

    He probably has those crappy Trek sealed bearings that come with the
    X-Lites. Failure rates run around 50% in my cycling club. They get a lot
    of wobble. Others have no problem.

    Maybe because the bearings have been replaced so frequently and my LBS
    certainly applies enough grease that I have not had any problem.

    ( of course it doesn't rain here anymore )

    HAND

  7. Thanks for all the advice. As it turns out, the rain was about 50 miles
    north and 50 miles south of the race route today, so I guess I lucked
    out.....even though we really need the rain. Our team took first place in
    the mixed under 40 category. I wouldn't mind a set of their "old" wheels
    myself.

    Mike

    Quoted message said:


    The Race X-Lites may be better than many (at keeping rain out of the
    bearings) but it can still be a problem. A little rain isn't going to kill
    them, but if you're riding in hour after hour of the stuff, you'll likely
    see some get past the seals. You might pop off the axle caps and shoot a
    bunch of extra grease into them, as a barrier to keep the water out. I
    would also consider popping the axle out after the ride, to allow things
    to dry out. This is a matter of "Do as I say, not as I do" as my hubs get
    exposed to pretty nasty rain during the winter, and I don't take care of
    them like I should.

    I have yet to find any hubs that combine high performance (relatively low
    rolling resistance), light weight and high water resistance. I know of
    many that claim otherwise, but we sure do replace a lot of bearings in
    them! I almost wish that companies would stop even trying to keep water
    out of the "sealed" bearings (usually by putting caps over them) and have
    exposed seals that we could easily pry off, allowing us to re-grease the
    bearings as need be.

    By the way, I was fortunate to get to ride in one of the Discovery team
    cars during a stage of the '05 Tour de France, with one of their two
    mechanics in the back seat. I asked him about the way they clean their
    bikes; seems like customers see photos of them hosing down the bikes,
    which I know for a fact wrecks bearings. So how do their wheels stand up
    to that sort of abuse (during the bike cleaning)? Turns out they don't
    need to; they typically replace their wheels every 500 miles or so. Why?
    Because they can. Why bother with bearing maintenance (you've probably
    seen the old films showing a mechanic tearing apart hubs, bottom brackets
    & headsets every single day) when you can just treat them as a disposable
    item? Boggles the mind. I'd sure like to be the guy who gets the "old"
    wheels...

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  8. The Motorola team used to dump stuff each off season up in Wisconsin.
    A buddy had Max Sciandri's Caloi and another picked up some nice
    tubular wheels for a song. I imagine Disco does something similar.
    500 miles seems REALLY low to me, but who knows.

    I've probably put a good couple k on my Race Lites (5.2SL came with
    them) and they are fine. My Race X-Lite Carbon's from ~2003 have LOTS
    of miles on them with no noticeable issues. They are some seriously
    solid wheels.

  9. Mike Jacoubowsky said:

    By the way, I was fortunate to get to ride in one of the Discovery team cars
    during a stage of the '05 Tour de France, with one of their two mechanics in
    the back seat. I asked him about the way they clean their bikes; seems like
    customers see photos of them hosing down the bikes, which I know for a fact
    wrecks bearings. So how do their wheels stand up to that sort of abuse
    (during the bike cleaning)? Turns out they don't need to; they typically
    replace their wheels every 500 miles or so. Why? Because they can. Why
    bother with bearing maintenance (you've probably seen the old films showing
    a mechanic tearing apart hubs, bottom brackets & headsets every single day)
    when you can just treat them as a disposable item? Boggles the mind. I'd
    sure like to be the guy who gets the "old" wheels...

    Reality, what a concept. Glad you mentioned this for all those that say
    some type of something was used in the 'TdF', means anything to the
    rest of us.

    Easy to use anything, when you have a van of spares, a crew of
    wrenches, that make the bicycles 'new' each day.

  10. Mike Jacoubowsky said:

    By the way, I was fortunate to get to ride in one of the Discovery team cars
    during a stage of the '05 Tour de France, with one of their two mechanics in
    the back seat. I asked him about the way they clean their bikes; seems like
    customers see photos of them hosing down the bikes, which I know for a fact
    wrecks bearings. So how do their wheels stand up to that sort of abuse
    (during the bike cleaning)? Turns out they don't need to; they typically
    replace their wheels every 500 miles or so. Why? Because they can. Why
    bother with bearing maintenance (you've probably seen the old films showing
    a mechanic tearing apart hubs, bottom brackets & headsets every single day)
    when you can just treat them as a disposable item? Boggles the mind. I'd
    sure like to be the guy who gets the "old" wheels...

    I suspect that the old stuff that can be refurbished probably goes back to
    Trek and is, in fact, refurbished there. Still, though, for a single-event
    team like Disco.. replacing wheelsets every 2-3 stages still only gets you
    to a bit over half a dozen in the race, per rider. Given how much
    sponsoring money is involved on all sides, and how expensive really good
    mechanics' time is, and the slightly greater chance of something going
    wrong if it's newly refurbished and untested, it might very well be worth
    it.

    Jasper

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.