Rachet on gear casette. Could it be frozen?

John Picton

Dec 3, 2003
Hi all,

Got on the bike this-morning to cycle to work in -3 degrees C and noticed that when I tried to pedall the gears on the rear wheel (the cassette) just span without turning the wheel (as if I was pedalling backwards!).

I put the wheel in the car with the intention of delivering it to my local cycle shop and found when I arrived at work that it was all ok!

I washed the bike the day before, so could it be that moisture in the cassette froze overnight but then defrosted in the car? Has anyone experienced this before? Thought I would ask before I go and spend any money.

Thanks

Originally posted by John Picton
Hi all,

Got on the bike this-morning to cycle to work in -3 degrees C and noticed that when I tried to pedall the gears on the rear wheel (the cassette) just span without turning the wheel (as if I was pedalling backwards!).

I put the wheel in the car with the intention of delivering it to my local cycle shop and found when I arrived at work that it was all ok!

I washed the bike the day before, so could it be that moisture in the cassette froze overnight but then defrosted in the car? Has anyone experienced this before? Thought I would ask before I go and spend any money.

Thanks
Could be.If it's ok now,don't sweat it. Could have also just been real stiff grease.

Would make sense as I had the bike serviced a couple of days before! Thanks for posting.