Racing in Italy

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Debra, Apr 12, 2003.

  1. Debra

    Debra Guest

    I notice there are Italians that post to this newsgroup and I'm hoping to get some help to sort out
    the different racing organizations in Italy.

    I'm not sure that I know enough to really explain my question but here goes.........

    The FCI is the national governing body of cycling in Italy and they sanction races - I'm not certain
    how the categories work.

    Then, there are the Gran Fondo events - I'm not sure who sanctions them but I know they are a
    combination race/tour. I would really like an explanation of the race portion of these and
    information on the categories - are they age or ability categories or both?

    There is also an organization called UDACE (I may have this quite messed up as I'm not sure what it
    stands for). Where do they fall into the picture?

    I would really appreciate some help and an explanation of these organizations and how they compare
    with each other and even how the categories compare with USA Cycling categories. I manage the U.S.
    Armed Forces Cycling Program and have to evaluate applications from athletes stationed around the
    world. It's always a difficult comparison but for the applicants from Italy, it's impossible without
    understanding the system.

    Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light my way!

    Debra Ponzio U.S. Armed Forces Cycling

    Tags:

  2. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    >From: "Debra" debraponzio@hotmail.com

    >Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light my way!
    >
    >Debra Ponzio U.S. Armed Forces Cycling

    They run a really good program and have some decent riders who are working under some tough
    conditions. If you can help Deb out that'd be cool. Bill

  3. Davide Tosi

    Davide Tosi Guest

    "Debra" <debraponzio@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I notice there are Italians that post to this newsgroup and I'm hoping to get some help to sort out
    >the different racing organizations in Italy.
    >
    >I'm not sure that I know enough to really explain my question but here goes.........
    >
    >The FCI is the national governing body of cycling in Italy and they sanction races - I'm not
    >certain how the categories work.
    >
    >Then, there are the Gran Fondo events - I'm not sure who sanctions them but I know they are a
    >combination race/tour. I would really like an explanation of the race portion of these and
    >information on the categories - are they age or ability categories or both?
    >
    >There is also an organization called UDACE (I may have this quite messed up as I'm not sure what it
    >stands for). Where do they fall into the picture?
    >
    >I would really appreciate some help and an explanation of these organizations and how they compare
    >with each other and even how the categories compare with USA Cycling categories. I manage the U.S.
    >Armed Forces Cycling Program and have to evaluate applications from athletes stationed around the
    >world. It's always a difficult comparison but for the applicants from Italy, it's impossible
    >without understanding the system.
    >
    >Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light my way!
    >
    >Debra Ponzio U.S. Armed Forces Cycling

    Helping the US Army who is helping us against terrorism is always a pleasure. However the question
    you ask is quite complex and difficult. First of all, in italian cycling there is no thing like
    categories as you know them in the US (Cat. 1, 2, 3 etc) Basically in Italy there are: Pros - riders
    who have a professional contract with a professional team and for which riding a bycicle is the
    official job and are payed at least accordingly to the minimum salaries provided by category
    contracts. On the base of European labour laws, there are no limits for this category. Anyone can be
    hired to be a professional. Dilettanti Elite - riders over 23 years of age who are part of a team
    recognized by the FCI/UCI but are not professional teams. These riders may be payed for riding, but
    being a cyclist is not their official job. Riders from the Army should fall in this category.
    Dilettanti Under 23 - like the category above, but the fact that they are under 23 gives them the
    opportunity to partecipate in races solely reserved to them. Amatori - riders that are not registred
    with the FCI but with other organizations, they are part of teams, may even be payed a lot of money,
    but they can not partecipate to FCI/UCI sanctioned races. The teams of these riders may be either
    affiliated with UDACE, UISP or other organizations. These kind of riders should not be entitled to
    partecipate to really competitive races.

    Concerning the races: FCI/UCI sanctioned races may be entered just by pros/elite/under 23 according
    to the kind of race. They are competitive by any means. The course of the race is completely closed
    to traffic.

    The "Gran Fondo" races may be entered by anyone who have a license with any kind of organization and
    who is older than 18. In theory they are not competitive and run over roads open to traffic.
    However, in fact they have huge prizes in nature (goods instaed of money) and the roads are mostly -
    when not completely - closed to the traffic by the organization of the race itself instead of by
    public security forces. Even people without a cycling licence may enter them, but just as a tour,
    they are not counted in the classment. Also people over 65 years can only ride them as a tour. I
    have been racing this kind of races for a few years and as far as I remember, there no
    differentiated classment except for males and females, no age groups or things like that. Mostly
    they are won by former pros that want to gain some further income. There are no anti doping control
    in these races and many of the riders dominating these races are completely doped up.

    I hope of having given you some help. If you would like to have some further insights, please ask.

  4. Debra

    Debra Guest

    This is by far the best explanation I've ever received on this subject. Thank you very much!!

    I must share your explanation with several others who are involved in evaluating athletes. I'll let
    you know if they have any other questions.

    We'll be in Catania in September for our military world championships - if you are anywhere near
    there, let me know. It's always good to have support from local cyclists!

    Thanks again, Debra

    "Davide Tosi" <davide.tosi@comune.re.it> wrote in message news:3ea44264.537578116@news.cis.dfn.de...
> [...]
    race
    > itself instead of by public security forces. Even people without a cycling licence may enter them,
    > but just as a tour, they are not counted in the classment. Also people over 65 years can only ride
    > them as a tour. I have been racing this kind of races for a few years and as far as I remember,
    > there no differentiated classment except for males and females, no age groups or things like that.
    > Mostly they are won by former pros that want to gain some further income. There are no anti doping
    > control in
    these
    > races and many of the riders dominating these races are completely doped up.
    >
    > I hope of having given you some help. If you would like to have some further insights, please ask.

  5. Davide Tosi

    Davide Tosi Guest

    "Debra" <debraponzio@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >We'll be in Catania in September for our military world championships - if you are anywhere near
    >there, let me know. It's always good to have support from local cyclists!

    No thanks. I am a Padan that supports Lega Nord, the northern separatists. I consider catania as
    north africa, I will never lay my feet there.

  6. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Davide Tosi wrote:

    > No thanks. I am a Padan that supports Lega Nord, the northern separatists. I consider catania as
    > north africa, I will never lay my feet there.

    I hear Morocco's lovely this time of year.

    Davide Tosi wrote:
    > No thanks. I am a Padan that supports Lega Nord, the northern separatists. I consider catania as
    > north africa, I will never lay my feet there.

    Debra, From Rome, Italy, Europe, World: enjoy your journey in Catania, Italy. Break a leg, but as
    world championess! As you may have understood, Italy is a very strange country: here, cycling is not
    always effective for a total and harmonizing mind & body fitness. But believe me, everywhere in
    Italy as well as in the world, we cyclist all are confident the wonderful cycling community will
    change some mind. Sooner or later. :)))

  8. Davide Tosi

    Davide Tosi Guest

    "Kyle Legate" <legatek@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Davide Tosi wrote:
    >>
    >> No thanks. I am a Padan that supports Lega Nord, the northern separatists. I consider catania as
    >> north africa, I will never lay my feet there.
    >>
    >I hear Morocco's lovely this time of year.

    I will let you try