Racing makes you faster and stronger

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Paulie-AU, Aug 3, 2005.

  1. Paulie-AU

    Paulie-AU New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2005
    I have recently started racing crits of a saturday morning (2 so far) in Cat 2 and have really noticed that my average speeds for my commute (70k all up) have been climbing pretty quickly.

    This really showed yesterday as I was "taking it easy" due to feeling sick on Monday and Tuesday and recorded my fastest average speed in recent riding (ie before I wimped out for a few weeks because of winter showing up) history.

    Lotte has always stated that racing is a great form of training and I believe her. But the thing is, in the past I have pushed myself (so I thought) pretty hard on my commute without results like this.

    Has anyone else experienced this or am I just some weirdo? ( ........or mabye its the EPO in my Vita Brits:eek: )

    Tags:

  2. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Paulie-AU wrote:
    > I have recently started racing crits of a saturday morning (2 so far) in
    > Cat 2 and have really noticed that my average speeds for my commute (70k
    > all up) have been climbing pretty quickly.
    >
    > This really showed yesterday as I was "taking it easy" due to feeling
    > sick on Monday and Tuesday and recorded my fastest average speed in
    > recent riding (ie before I wimped out for a few weeks because of winter
    > showing up) history.
    >
    > Lotte has always stated that racing is a great form of training and I
    > believe her. But the thing is, in the past I have pushed myself (so I
    > thought) pretty hard on my commute without results like this.

    It's the high intensity of the racing that's causing the adaptation.
    races are basically unstructured intervals (or fartlek!).

    > Has anyone else experienced this or am I just some weirdo? ( ........or
    > mabye its the EPO in my Vita Brits:eek: )

    You may or may not be weird, but if you've been doing little or no
    interval intensity training, then racing certainly will provide this
    adapation to a certain extent.

  3. 531Aussie

    531Aussie Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    Messages:
    12,606
    nah, I reckon you're spot on.

    I've got some theories that, because racing (or competitive group riding) makes your legs do things they would NEVER normally do, this produces a superior training response -- probably due to adrenalin, or something. I cannot kill myself on the bike when I'm on my own like I can when I'm chasing some "bike shop" boys.:) Where's my science to back this? I ain't got none..... :p....just experience.

    On Tuesday night I was chasing a couple of bike shop boys (the kind with the pseudo sponsorship :D) on Beach Rd, and I was SO determined to catch them, that for the last 4 or 5 mins my HR was sustained at about 192 (95% of my max)!! I could never do that without extreme motivation.

  4. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    I sort of notice the opposite. After going touring with multiple weeks of
    riding a loaded bicycle up and down mountains for six or eight hours each
    day, my racing is improved on return...

    "Paulie-AU" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:p[email protected]

    > I have recently started racing crits of a saturday morning (2 so far) in
    > Cat 2 and have really noticed that my average speeds for my commute (70k
    > all up) have been climbing pretty quickly.
    >
    > This really showed yesterday as I was "taking it easy" due to feeling
    > sick on Monday and Tuesday and recorded my fastest average speed in
    > recent riding (ie before I wimped out for a few weeks because of winter
    > showing up) history.
    >
    > Lotte has always stated that racing is a great form of training and I
    > believe her. But the thing is, in the past I have pushed myself (so I
    > thought) pretty hard on my commute without results like this.
    >
    > Has anyone else experienced this or am I just some weirdo? ( ........or
    > mabye its the EPO in my Vita Brits:eek: )

  5. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Paulie-AU wrote:

    > I have recently started racing crits of a saturday morning (2 so far) in
    > Cat 2 and have really noticed that my average speeds for my commute (70k
    > all up) have been climbing pretty quickly.
    >
    > This really showed yesterday as I was "taking it easy" due to feeling
    > sick on Monday and Tuesday and recorded my fastest average speed in
    > recent riding (ie before I wimped out for a few weeks because of winter
    > showing up) history.
    >
    > Lotte has always stated that racing is a great form of training and I
    > believe her. But the thing is, in the past I have pushed myself (so I
    > thought) pretty hard on my commute without results like this.
    >
    > Has anyone else experienced this or am I just some weirdo? ( ........or
    > mabye its the EPO in my Vita Brits:eek: )
    >

    > --
    > Paulie-AU

    Paulie - notice how the surges don't hurt in the crit? I reckon this is
    because commuting is full of surges, that's all it is really, so it's easy
    to deal with in the crit.

    Then, in the crit, there's that fear of dropping the wheel. For me, it's
    not about getting dropped off the back... it's about splitting the bunch.
    I'd feel like a real dickhead (unless all the Hit Girls were in the back
    group, and then I did my solo breakaway thing back to the leaders...
    actually that's race plan No 4). So I'm just a little bit more willing to
    hurt.

    Then suddenly it's not hurting... I never notice the pain in the crit. My
    arse never hurts in the saddle and I always feel just in the right place.
    My feet never feel cold. I don't want to change gears.

    Then next thing I know, I'm not downgearing on hills during my commute,
    I'm more willing to hurt, and it just doesn't bother me. This is something
    that I never developed even during the 7 hour training rides with my coach
    last year. I think mostly it's because I'm having fun that I don't notice
    the pain, I'm in zen-land with my bike!

    Of course, my commute has about 250 sets of traffic lights. Okay, not
    quite. But yesterday I was running late, and tried to go faster, and I
    just ended up sitting at lights for longer. I wish I had nice open
    stretches!

    Tam

    PS Sunday arvo is looking better for me on the MTB, just because I might
    help some mates out with transport for the Bridge 2 Brisbane. You guys
    interested in some road, too?

  6. Euan

    Euan Guest

    Nick> I sort of notice the opposite. After going touring with
    Nick> multiple weeks of riding a loaded bicycle up and down
    Nick> mountains for six or eight hours each day, my racing is
    Nick> improved on return...

    Not that I weight train any more, but similar used to happen to me
    weight training. I'd take a week off and find all my poundages went up
    five to ten kilos.

    I think it's a bit of the over-training thing. Touring exercises
    different fibres than racing which allows your racing fibres to recover
    and get stronger.

    Pseudo science over :p
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,

  7. adam85

    adam85 Guest

    "Paulie-AU" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:p[email protected]

    > I have recently started racing crits of a saturday morning (2 so far) in
    > Cat 2 and have really noticed that my average speeds for my commute (70k
    > all up) have been climbing pretty quickly.
    >
    > This really showed yesterday as I was "taking it easy" due to feeling
    > sick on Monday and Tuesday and recorded my fastest average speed in
    > recent riding (ie before I wimped out for a few weeks because of winter
    > showing up) history.
    >
    > Lotte has always stated that racing is a great form of training and I
    > believe her. But the thing is, in the past I have pushed myself (so I
    > thought) pretty hard on my commute without results like this.
    >
    > Has anyone else experienced this or am I just some weirdo? ( ........or
    > mabye its the EPO in my Vita Brits:eek: )

    Nope... FREAKIN WIERDO!

    Oh ok then, like Carl/Bleve said the racing is like doing interval training.
    If
    you do high intensity interval work instead of only moderate output type
    riding in your commute your body adapts, it gets used to going hard and
    recovers a lot quicker. The good thing about racing is it's easier to get
    motivated to work hard in a race than in training if you're a slackarse like
    me. When you move up grades the interval work even more important,
    you get attack after attack, and if you can't go with them and then recover
    you're out the back.

    Good luck saturday, I had a few ideas when I read your breakaway plan,
    and I had a few tips but I think I'll shut up and let you ride your own
    race!
    Anyway I'm half cut on vino by now sho it's sproblyallcrap.

    Adam

  8. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Nick Payne wrote:
    > I sort of notice the opposite. After going touring with multiple weeks of
    > riding a loaded bicycle up and down mountains for six or eight hours each
    > day, my racing is improved on return...

    That's probably because you're overdoing your racing/training. It's
    alarmingly common for road racers to be in a pretty-much constant state
    of overtraining. I deal with this regularly with coaching clients, and
    it's not at all uncommon for the first thing I get them to do to be
    take a week or two off before we start some structured training and an
    organised race plan. That's quite often rewarded with some rapid
    improvement (which isn't sustainable, once the punter is actually
    riding at their "normal" level, improvement is gradual)

    Then again, maybe doing bulk hills is better for the racing you're
    doing anyway? Depends on the racing and your other training of course
    :)

  9. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    Adam85wrote:

    Good luck saturday, I had a few ideas when I read your breakaway plan,
    and I had a few tips but I think I'll shut up and let you ride your own
    race!

    Do tell. My plan for this race is to stay with the bunch for 2, maybe 3 laps. That's just sad.

    Anyway I'm half cut on vino by now sho it's sproblyallcrap.

    Will you be out there, boozy?

    LotteBum

  10. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    You might surprise yourself. But why not give Cat 3 a go for a week?

    OK armchair expert time :) I think Paul and Tam were talking about having a go close to the end. It might work but more likely to chased down hard as every is getting edgy and you will be worn out for the sprint. Better to have a good go with say 10min left (watch your timer). I didn't see *any* tactical riding the other week, all the chasing was done by one or two riders with noone coming through so I'd bank on a bit of confusion. Weaker riders will be tired, and hopefully the stronger riders will have wasted too much energy by this stage. To stay away you will have to be able to first jump to get a gap of around 15sec, then time trial faster than what the chasing bunch is going (so maybe around 42kph). Can you do this? Especially if you've chased primes, brought back breakaways, or done too much work at the front? See what I mean? You'd have a better chance if one or two of the stronger riders comes with you or bridges. Just my two cents worth...

    Nah, a lot of us are doing the Cunningham classic which should be good.

    Adam

  11. Paulie-AU

    Paulie-AU New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2005
    We were thinking of giving it a crack straight after the prime and then mabye having another go a couple of laps out. But might have to have a look at how the bunch is behaving.

    I think tam is abandoning me anyhow to go and race nundah in the arvo.....Lotte and I can't go because we have to go to an engagement party in the arvo (my family commitment)....YAY

    I might have to try and go it alone......dont like my chances at all.

  12. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    Paulie wrote:

    I think tam is abandoning me anyhow to go and race nundah in the arvo.....

    Nope. She's doing both.

    Lotte and I can't go because we have to go to an engagement party in the arvo (my family commitment)....YAY

    Try not to mention it. You're making me hostile.

    I might have to try and go it alone......dont like my chances at all.

    It's OK. I'll use my man-strength and lead you out!

    Lotte

  13. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    Adam85 wrote:

    Nah, a lot of us are doing the Cunningham classic which should be good.

    If you see Adrian Booth out there, make him work hard. Got i?

    We're mountainbiking with him on Sunday and I'm hoping he will be quite tired so we actually stand a chance in keeping up.

    LotteBum

  14. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    adam85 wrote:

    > LotteBum Wrote:
    > > Adam85wrote:
    > >
    > > Good luck saturday, I had a few ideas when I read your breakaway plan,
    > > and I had a few tips but I think I'll shut up and let you ride your
    > > own
    > > race!
    > >
    > > Do tell. My plan for this race is to stay with the bunch for 2, maybe
    > > 3 laps. That's just sad.
    > >

    > You might surprise yourself. But why not give Cat 3 a go for a week?
    >
    > OK armchair expert time :) I think Paul and Tam were talking about
    > having a go close to the end. It might work but more likely to chased
    > down hard as every is getting edgy and you will be worn out for the
    > sprint. Better to have a good go with say 10min left (watch your
    > timer). I didn't see *any* tactical riding the other week, all the
    > chasing was done by one or two riders with noone coming through so I'd
    > bank on a bit of confusion. Weaker riders will be tired, and hopefully
    > the stronger riders will have wasted too much energy by this stage. To
    > stay away you will have to be able to first jump to get a gap of around
    > 15sec, then time trial faster than what the chasing bunch is going (so
    > maybe around 42kph). Can you do this? Especially if you've chased
    > primes, brought back breakaways, or done too much work at the front?
    > See what I mean? You'd have a better chance if one or two of the
    > stronger riders comes with you or bridges. Just my two cents worth...

    That's where Lotte comes in... she splits the bunch at the right point
    for us...

    :D

    Tam

  15. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    Paulie-AU wrote:

    > adam85 Wrote:
    > > You might surprise yourself. But why not give Cat 3 a go for a week?
    > >
    > > OK armchair expert time :) I think Paul and Tam were talking about
    > > having a go close to the end. It might work but more likely to chased
    > > down hard as every is getting edgy and you will be worn out for the
    > > sprint. Better to have a good go with say 10min left (watch your
    > > timer). I didn't see *any* tactical riding the other week, all the
    > > chasing was done by one or two riders with noone coming through so I'd
    > > bank on a bit of confusion. Weaker riders will be tired, and hopefully
    > > the stronger riders will have wasted too much energy by this stage. To
    > > stay away you will have to be able to first jump to get a gap of around
    > > 15sec, then time trial faster than what the chasing bunch is going (so
    > > maybe around 42kph). Can you do this? Especially if you've chased
    > > primes, brought back breakaways, or done too much work at the front?
    > > See what I mean? You'd have a better chance if one or two of the
    > > stronger riders comes with you or bridges. Just my two cents worth...
    > >

    > > Nah, a lot of us are doing the Cunningham classic which should be good.
    > >
    > > Adam

    > We were thinking of giving it a crack straight after the prime and then
    > mabye having another go a couple of laps out. But might have to have a
    > look at how the bunch is behaving.
    >
    > I think tam is abandoning me anyhow to go and race nundah in the
    > arvo.....Lotte and I can't go because we have to go to an engagement
    > party in the arvo (my family commitment)....YAY
    >
    > I might have to try and go it alone......dont like my chances at all.
    >
    > --
    > Paulie-AU

    Nah man I'm doing both.

  16. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    LotteBum wrote:

    > Adam85 wrote:
    >
    > Nah, a lot of us are doing the Cunningham classic which should be good.
    >
    > If you see Adrian Booth out there, make him work hard. Got i?
    >
    > We're mountainbiking with him on Sunday and I'm hoping he will be quite
    > tired so we actually stand a chance in keeping up.
    >
    > LotteBum
    >
    > --
    > LotteBum

    And when you see AB from Balmoral, give him a kiss from hippy (he
    blogged it!) and slap his arse for me.

    Tam

  17. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    Tam wrote:

    That's where Lotte comes in... she splits the bunch at the right point
    for us...

    So you're planning to go after lap 1??? :confused:

    And Adam, I am not - I repeat NOT - riding Cat 3. Riding with the geris and children is downright fucking demoralising. :mad:

    Lotte

  18. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    AB? I know he's done a few charity walks and stuff since leaving test cricket but he still doesn't look that fit to me??

  19. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    LotteBum wrote:
    > Adam85 wrote:
    >
    > Nah, a lot of us are doing the Cunningham classic which should be good.
    >
    > If you see Adrian Booth out there, make him work hard. Got i?

    wow, I wonder if that's the same Adrian who used to do AUUG stuff in
    Perth?

    Convergance ..